Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big cam vs MAF?

Tuner

Big cam vs MAF?

What is the general consensus as at what cam size, is it better to do with out the MAF?

Different people will have different answers about this;but, I prefer to keep the maf unless you are pegging it.

Tuner
    The main problem is below about 2k, with a lot of overlap, the air reversion back and forth through the maf causes issues, plus closed loop becomes a problem, what with all the "fresh" air coming through during overlap, maybe if I could figure out a way to not have closed loop enable till after 2k. I suppose the more time spent working over the idle, the bigger the cam the could still be used with a maf.

I know on my old LT1, I was able to setup a PE idle. You could use the PE enable vs TPS table to set pe to 0% at idle cells. I'm sure you could use the PE HOT Enable table to do the same thing and then it should be a breeze. If I understand it correctly set you PE ratio to 1.000 in idle cells and adjust VE and MAF accordingly Never played with it a whole lot so I dont know how the transition would be. Warnging: Im a bit of a rookie so take this for what its worth
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

Quote Originally Posted by angrygoat View Post
    I know on my old LT1, I was able to setup a PE idle. You could use the PE enable vs TPS table to set pe to 0% at idle cells. I'm sure you could use the PE HOT Enable table to do the same thing and then it should be a breeze. If I understand it correctly set you PE ratio to 1.000 in idle cells and adjust VE and MAF accordingly Never played with it a whole lot so I dont know how the transition would be. Warnging: Im a bit of a rookie so take this for what its worth
    the idea is solid but it just doesn't seem to work properly on 98-up F-bodies.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Senior Tuner
    Until it max's out X hertz in my opinion or becomes a tuning nightmare. Worth keeping as it adusts for alot of changes in air/temp. that you are not going to enjoy having to adjust at random times in SD mode...SD is over rated like HP/liter for ricers!
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

I keep the MAF as long as I can. I have not had any issues on big cam'd cars either.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

So what the general consensus on how to tune low end AFR on huge overlaps. Vacuum helps but only to an extent, then it's a feel thing. I've been experiementing with the cylinder charge temperature bias and filter for throttle response, but the low end decell and idles are always problematic.
    WS6, you have alot of knowledge here, whats your MO
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b
    Vortech blown 5.3/air to water IC/finish line 4l80e/ stall / Running on E98 ethanol
    2008 Silverado- Vortech VL Twin screw supercharger. SEMA 2008 Vortec Engineering Booth

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
    I keep the MAF as long as I can. I have not had any issues on big cam'd cars either.
    Ditto. I run MAF only (VE/SD disabled) now and even when I had a 238/242 .605/.610 on 112 cam prior to the blower.

Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

242/244 here and i love my MAF.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    Ditto. I run MAF only (VE/SD disabled) now and even when I had a 238/242 .605/.610 on 112 cam prior to the blower.

your not pegging your maf with the blower?

A lot of the low end tuning is feel at points on some radical setups. When you get into the big cams, you just know when you have it right. So hard to explain lol you can just hear it and feel it without even looking at the WB most of the time.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
    your not pegging your maf with the blower?
    Not with the LS3 card style MAF sensor in a 4" tube (reduces the frequency) with the IFR cut down a little (reduces the perceived flow), no.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    O cool!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
    O cool!
    I was thinking the same thing. Heard it takes a monster to max out an LS3 MAF hertz.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

A good example of the LS7 MAF hz on my car was it would only go up to about 9500hz and the 85mm truck goes up to 11611. I had a harder time tuning the LS7 and I didn't feel any gain on 6.0L so I went back to the 85mm for now.

The broader range of frequencies helped me smooth out my tune in maf only mode.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Advanced Tuner
    I recently saw for myself how you can change the perceived MAF airflow by artificially adjusting the IFR tables. Larger IFR values decrease the airflow where smaller IFR values increase it. Definitely a good tip if your flow #'s don't cover the full spectrum.
    2011 Z07 Carbon Edition

It's actually the opposite. IFR and MAF numbers have a direct correlation. Larger IFR numbers make you have to increase the MAF numbers and smaller IFR numbers mean smaller MAF numbers.

Take for instance you artificially increase your IFR by 25%. The PCM actually decreases the pulsewidth because it thinks there is more fuel being injected per millisecond. This smaller pulsewidth causes a lean condition which makes you have to artificially increase your MAF by the same 25% to tell the PCM there is more air coming in so it will leave the injectors open longer. There is never really a good reason to do this.

When you lower the IFR it thinks the injectors are smaller so it leaves them open longer which introduces a rich condition so you need to lower your MAF to make the PCM think there is less air coming in which commands a smaller pulsewidth.
    Bill Winters

Now this is why if you scale your MAF to keep under the limits, you have to scale your IFR, spark timing, and cylinder volume by the same % right?
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

Correct. Any airflow or airmass related table should be scaled. This adds some complexity for the auto guys.
    Bill Winters