Thread: **FREEZE ADAPTS and MAX PRESSURE**

Tuner

Question **FREEZE ADAPTS and MAX PRESSURE**

I was looking at the setting for the A6 trans and I seen under Transmission Diagnostics--->Invalid Torque Signal---> 4 settings and the two I have a question about are:

Freeze Adapts(enable/disable). Whats described for the setting is: Invalid Tq - freeze adapts: freeze pressure adaps if invalid torque signal is detected.

Max Pressure(enable/disable). What's described for the setting is:
    Invalid Tq - Max pressure: sets transmission full line pressure if invalid torque signal is detected.

Ok, my question is for us guys with aftermarket high stall converters. Should we disable Freeze Adapts and Max Pressure under Transmission Diagnostics???

Could these settings that are enabled hurt the A6 trans due to the fact of having an aftermarket stall converter?

Could the aftermarket stall converter throw an invalid torque signal and then set the line pressure to max and burn up the tranny?

Any help would be much apreciated!!!

Thanks,

Tony B.
    Last edited by TonyB4; 03-30-2009 at 12:32 PM.
    |466rwhp & 411rwtq|Cartek 3X cam|Vig stall|Bolt ons|Stock 2.56 gears|
    |Stock compression|Cartek dyno tuned| HPTuners pro|

Cam only
    60ft 1.53 - [email protected]
    60ft 1.56 - [email protected]
    http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...onverted-1.flv

Advanced Tuner
    Are you refering to the problems people are having with the aftermarket stalls on the A6? If so, from what I am hearing from a few people now, the car is commanding the stall to lock and unlock constantly and the aftermarket stalls can't handle this and they are breaking.

That what I know.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ktoonsez View Post
    Are you refering to the problems people are having with the aftermarket stalls on the A6? If so, from what I am hearing from a few people now, the car is commanding the stall to lock and unlock constantly and the aftermarket stalls can't handle this and they are breaking.

That what I know.
    Thanks for the input. I am just wondering if the high stall is throwing off an invalid torque signal and the trans is commanding Max pressure which could hurt the trans. Is the two settings I asked about causing the issues and if disableing them would solve some of the problems.

Cam only

Advanced Tuner
    That part, I couldn't tell you as I have never tried it. Hopefully out there has, sorry.

invalid torque signal comes from the ECM. ie. unless you use our patches or run 2bar OS the ECM will flag the ECM torque signal as invalid once you disconnect the MAF. Other things such as misfire, MAP sensor fault and other sensor faults cause this as well.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    invalid torque signal comes from the ECM. ie. unless you use our patches or run 2bar OS the ECM will flag the ECM torque signal as invalid once you disconnect the MAF. Other things such as misfire, MAP sensor fault and other sensor faults cause this as well.
    Thanks for the reply Chris.

Would it be a good Idea to disable these two settings or should I leave them enabled?

What is the pro`s and con`s of disabling/enabling these?

Cam only

well if you have an invalid torque signal fault, then the trans will shift at full line pressure for all shifts and/or disable adaptive pressure learning.

trans shifting at full line pressure is generally so you take the car into a dealer cos your neck is so sore and adapts disable prevents the trans learning into a slip situation.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    well if you have an invalid torque signal fault, then the trans will shift at full line pressure for all shifts and/or disable adaptive pressure learning.

trans shifting at full line pressure is generally so you take the car into a dealer cos your neck is so sore and adapts disable prevents the trans learning into a slip situation.
    Chris,

I get an immature code from TPS once in awhile. I think your saying to disalbe them, and I thinking correctly?

If you would like we could talk through pm`s. I don`t want to sound like a NOOB but i am a little lost.

Thanks,

Tony B.
    Last edited by TonyB4; 03-30-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Cam only

Tuner
    Chris,

If you wouldn`t mind taking a look, here is my log from the other day and my Config file.

Starts at Frame 19236.

Thanks,

Tony B.
    Last edited by TonyB4; 03-31-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Cam only

Tony, I would disable 1, then disable the other, then disable both and log all three. see witch one actually throws the code. Maybe Chris will chime in again.
    Mike
    2007 C6 coupe LS3 416 6 speed mn Z51 3LT
    Vararam Snake charmer 160 Stat
    Kooks 1 7/8 headers with jet hot
    Fast 102 ported intake 102 TB RPM Level 5 T56
    MGW short throw ZIP 4.10 Severe Duty rear
    RPS TWIN DISC CARBON CLUTCH CCWs ele wp
    RPM LEVEL 5 TRANS W/HARDENED OUTSHAFT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtOPy_lp2QY

10.66 1.47 60ft 133+mph

the A6 trans TCM requires a very accurate torque signal from the ECM to achieve the shift quality. If the ECM declares the torque signal innacurate for whatever reason, the trans can take some action. If you disable the full line pressure one, then the trans will continue to trust the torque signal from the ECM. If you disable the adapt freeze then the trans will also continue to adapt shift pressures to achieve desired shift time etc.

Its up to you if you want to disable them, under normal circumstances ie. you are still running MAF etc. then you should leave them enabled. If you are getting intermittent TPS codes then find out why. TPS codes can cause all kinds of other issues.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner

Thumbs up

the A6 trans TCM requires a very accurate torque signal from the ECM to achieve the shift quality. If the ECM declares the torque signal innacurate for whatever reason, the trans can take some action. If you disable the full line pressure one, then the trans will continue to trust the torque signal from the ECM. If you disable the adapt freeze then the trans will also continue to adapt shift pressures to achieve desired shift time etc.

Its up to you if you want to disable them, under normal circumstances ie. you are still running MAF etc. then you should leave them enabled. If you are getting intermittent TPS codes then find out why. TPS codes can cause all kinds of other issues.

Thanks Chris!

Cam only

Tuner

Thumbs up

Chris,

Just wanted to say thanks for the help and give you an update. I set both to Disable and haven`t noticed a difference under WOT. Think I am going to leave them this way just incase that immature TB code comes on during WOT.

Thanks again!

Tony B.

Cam only

Tuner
    Just another update for everyone. I tried it out at the track and had a TPS immature happen and my tranny was fine. I cleared the code and all was good.

Now i need to find out why this code is popping up once in a great while. I am just glad that I had both the settings disabled because I think those setting with that code could set full line pressure and possible under a drag racing condition break the trans.

Anyways, I had a blast and my new times are in my signature along with the video link of my best pass.

Thanks again HPTuners!

Tony B.

Cam only