Thread: Getting ready for the dyno

Getting ready for the dyno

I already did searches, but wanted to verify I am doing this correctly. I tried to dyno my car previously and had trouble with it downshifting and giving me skewed numbers. So to lock it in 3rd I can just command it with the scanner? Also should I lock the converter by commanding the TCC solenoid on after I command it to 3rd? Lastly at about what mph should I lock it in 3rd?

Anything else I should know before putting it on the dyno again? The car is a 1998 Z-28 with a stock converter. Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by 346ci; 03-29-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: paragraph structure

Well just in case anybody was interested I dyno''d the car today and it went pretty well. I thought I would share how I did it for those noobs like me who are trying to learn how to use a dyno and tune themselves.

To lock in 3rd gear (1:1 direct drive) open your VCM Scanner and connect to vehicle, select Displays, then VCM Controls, choose Trans where you will see A4 Gear Select and you can choose which gear you would like to lock into.

In addition I chose to lock the converter as well. To do this follow the above steps to get to Trans where you will see TCC Solenoid to lock the converter select On. I did not lock the converter until I got the vehicle over 25 mph, otherwise I got a bunch of bucking.

Hope this helps somebody, I know this is rudimentary to most.
    Last edited by 346ci; 03-31-2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: misspelling

Tuner
    Good post. So much of this forum assumes you've been doing this for 5 years that sometimes the basics need to be brought back up.

Senior Tuner
    Sticky!
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 346ci View Post
    Well just in case anybody was interested I dyno''d the car today and it went pretty well. I thought I would share how I did it for those noobs like me who are trying to learn how to use a dyno and tune themselves.

To lock in 3rd gear (1:1 direct drive) open your VCM Scanner and connect to vehicle, select Displays, then VCM Controls, choose Trans where you will see A4 Gear Select and you can choose which gear you would like to lock into.

In addition I chose to lock the converter as well. To do this follow the above steps to get to Trans where you will see TCC Solenoid to lock the converter select On. I did not lock the converter until I got the vehicle over 25 mph, otherwise I got a bunch of bucking.

Hope this helps somebody, I know this is rudimentary to most.

This is a nice and simple way to setup for the dyno but unfortunately it doesnt work on all vehicles which sucks because then you need to go in and setup all your lockup points and so on which can be kind of a pain the ass.

I do know that the VCM controls for that trans stuff doesnt work on my 03 Silverado.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS View Post
    This is a nice and simple way to setup for the dyno but unfortunately it doesnt work on all vehicles which sucks because then you need to go in and setup all your lockup points and so on which can be kind of a pain the ass.

I do know that the VCM controls for that trans stuff doesnt work on my 03 Silverado.
    I know this method deosn't work for some vehicles, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    Good post. So much of this forum assumes you've been doing this for 5 years that sometimes the basics need to be brought back up.
    Thanks, I'm sure people get asked the same questions a lot and get tired of answering simple stuff like this (I do on other forums).

Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    Sticky!
    Yea, I read the sticky for locking the 6L80E and that didn't help much. It would be cool if they expanded that sticky to included other tranny's and how to lock them on a dyno