Thread: Ford Bench Programming?'s

Tuner

Ford Bench Programming?'s

Is it possible to bench program or flash, and are there programming bench harness's available for F150-trucks & Mustang's EEC's? Kinda like what's available for GM pcm, ecm, tcm...

I'm a Ford newbie and I was just curious...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    From my understanding ford bench setups are a bit different from gm as the obd2 port needs an 18v signal or something weird like that so I'm not sure how common they are in the ford world. I could only assume this is a big part of the reason All the ford tuners previously available were hand held devices that could be sent to the customer for mail order tuning.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

You can flash them on a bench. I have done it many times. I bought a PCM connector and used a PC powersupply.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner
    Thanks for the info.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    From my understanding ford bench setups are a bit different from gm as the obd2 port needs an 18v signal or something weird like that so I'm not sure how common they are in the ford world. I could only assume this is a big part of the reason All the ford tuners previously available were hand held devices that could be sent to the customer for mail order tuning.
    Yes...FEPS signal. You need CANHi, CANLo and a programming signal pin. What I don't like about Ford is that they moved the pins around in the CAN ECA's between years and between models. 2003, 2004 and 2005 have different pinouts, identifying which connector is which is also a challenge...sometimes the 1st connector is used, others use the 2nd (middle connector). I hate doing them.
    Prior ECA's are a lot easier to do on the bench...the pins seem to be all the same on all 104 pin units between gas and diesel.
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 196.7 MPH on the Salt
    Superflow SF600 FlowBench -- Superflow Autodyn 30 Chassis Dyno -- Superflow SF901 Engine Dyno--RaceLogic Emulator -- MikiPro Logic Emulator -- ASNU Injector Flow Bench --

They didn't change 3 times, just two times. In 2005, since that is when the Mustang went to the PowerPC that uses the CAN bus.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Recheck your diesel, vs gas truck, vs car. CAN (6.0L Diesel) was out in 2003.
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 196.7 MPH on the Salt
    Superflow SF600 FlowBench -- Superflow Autodyn 30 Chassis Dyno -- Superflow SF901 Engine Dyno--RaceLogic Emulator -- MikiPro Logic Emulator -- ASNU Injector Flow Bench --

Tuner in Training
    I set my bench harness up so it's modular and I can program CAN, GMLAN, Class2 and Ford SCP. Since the harness is modular, so I've got connectors set up for LS1/LB7's, LLY/E40/P12, LBZ/LMM, 5 speed Allison, 6 speed Allison, Ford 104 pin EEC-V. I could add others like P10, Vortec, E38, E67, other Ford PCM's. Pretty much anything that uses Class2, GMLAN, CAN or SCP just by getting the proper connector(s) and making the pigtail to connect to the box.

Tuner
    Can someone give me a link to purchase some Ford EEC connectors....To make my own bench harness's

Good luck, ford eec connectors are hard to come by, it is not like GM where they are all packard/delphi parts, and are easy to purchase. Ford typically has companies like tyco make the parts for them, but with exclusive rights to the parts, ie, they cannot be purchased through places like mouser and digikey, like the gm parts can be.

You also have pats to deal with, so other than a guy sending you a pcm, and you doing a bench flash for him, you cannot have a stock of pcm's and just interchange like you can with GM. also, Almost each ford pcm model is different from others, even automatic to manual of the same year uses different hardware (and I won't even go into other modules that much match the pcm, that makes interchangability even harder)

There are at least 4 different pinouts that I am aware of for the ford can vehicles. at least 3 different connector styles.

Tuner
    I'm starting to remember why i never got involved with Ford!
    i.e. Not as easy as GM...

Last time I made a bench flasher I had to go to the JY for a PCM connector.

Having a handheld tuner really works best in the Ford world IMO, the market is used to having the ability to easily save stock and to switch between multiple programs, a long with all the other benefits such as the ability to email file updates and datalog.
    Justin Starkey
    Ford and GM custom tuning
    Mobile Dynojet 224xLC
    www.VMPTuning.com
    2006 F250 CC 6.0L 14.3@92
    2006 Mustang 4.0L Vortech 15psi 395rwhp wife's car
    2000 Mustang 3.8L TT [email protected] 450rwhp

how did you set up your bench tuner ? mine keeps saying no detect protocol

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodsracingllc@gmail. View Post
    how did you set up your bench tuner ? mine keeps saying no detect protocol
    curious if you figured this out?