Thread: VE tune changed drastically when MAF re-enabled?

Advanced Tuner

Question VE tune changed drastically when MAF re-enabled?

Vehicle is 2002 Silverado 5.3.

Following one of the many similar suggestions online regarding VE tuning, I first set MAF fail frequency to 0, made HIGH and LOW octane timing tables reflect the same timing, then using VCM Controls RESET fuel trims.

I datalogged for roughly 30 minutes each time. (3 times so far).

After 3rd time of making tune changes and reflashing pcm, my LTFT's were all between 0 and 3, which I "thought" was great.

I then set MAF fail frequency back to stock 13500 Mhz (I believe it was), and reset fuel trims once more. Just for the heck of it, I datalogged another 20+ minute drive and a LOT of my LTFT's are now ranging anywhere from 8-18, averaging about 13 in most lower rpm cells.

Why did my LTFT's change so dramatically after putting the MAF back into the mix?

Did I miss something, or do something wrong?

Just when I thought I was finally getting somewhere, I got knocked back 3 steps, lol...

Thanks for any help, ideas, or insight.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 6.0, 4L80e, 9"
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3 liter Work Beater

I think after tuning the VE, you will also have to tune the MAF if you plan to reuse it. Is the cam stock?
    2002 WS6 TA, 408, L92 heads, Holley Modular High Ram, 120# injectors, Fast 92mm tb, 9.5:1 compression with Ross Pistons, built 4L80E with T-Brake, Circle D 4C Billet 245mm stall, Moser 9" with 3.70 gears. Front mounted GT-88 with Front Mount Intercooler, 3BarSD tuning by me.
    DIY Dual Walbro 340 fuel pumps.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_WS6 View Post
    I think after tuning the VE, you will also have to tune the MAF if you plan to reuse it. Is the cam stock?
    Yes, cam is stock, and I am a dummy, lol.

Only mods to truck are listed in sig below.

Maybe a pro-tuner can chime in here, but I think you now need to tune the MAF for your VE changes.
    2002 WS6 TA, 408, L92 heads, Holley Modular High Ram, 120# injectors, Fast 92mm tb, 9.5:1 compression with Ross Pistons, built 4L80E with T-Brake, Circle D 4C Billet 245mm stall, Moser 9" with 3.70 gears. Front mounted GT-88 with Front Mount Intercooler, 3BarSD tuning by me.
    DIY Dual Walbro 340 fuel pumps.

Advanced Tuner
    I think you are right....don't mind me.

No pro tuner here but yes you need to tune your MAF
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Advanced Tuner
    Well....not having much luck...

I have been trying this:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/attach...0&d=1228098301

and just can't seem to get in the ballpark. It runs great in OLSD. I keep logging and trying to get the MAF dialed in, but truck got to the point of having a serious "dead spot" off idle, and low rpm power, so I quit for the night...

Engine > Airflow > Dynamic Airflow> High RPM Disable -- set to 0 to enable MAF only. The put back to 4000 when done tuning the MAF.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Yeah what mowton said,
    Then you will more than likely have to go back to the VE again for some fine tuning. As Russ K said once I think, wash, rinse ,repeat
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b
    Vortech blown 5.3/air to water IC/finish line 4l80e/ stall / Running on E98 ethanol
    2008 Silverado- Vortech VL Twin screw supercharger. SEMA 2008 Vortec Engineering Booth

Advanced Tuner

Thumbs up

Finally got her figured out today.

Guess yesterday was just too long of a day for me to be trying to do some technical work, lol.

All LTFT's are now 2 or less. Truck feels a little more responsive, or at least I think it does. Don't know if it's imagination or not.

Next up is a wideband to dial in the WOT fueling and then maybe I'll try a re-do of my car.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Senior Tuner
    Now that you're done tuning, disable VE and tell me if you feel any difference. My guess is no. LOL!
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    Finally got her figured out today.

Guess yesterday was just too long of a day for me to be trying to do some technical work, lol.

All LTFT's are now 2 or less. Truck feels a little more responsive, or at least I think it does. Don't know if it's imagination or not.

Next up is a wideband to dial in the WOT fueling and then maybe I'll try a re-do of my car.

Thanks for the replies guys!
    Use your Wideband to check to check your tune, I highly suggest applying the RTT with use of your wideband, you can locate and fix every deadspot you can find. Once you set it up it's really too easy!!

02 It wouldn't hurt to invest in a can of "CNC" MAF cleaner, available at your local parts store for about $7.

Log MAF with your wideband before cleaning, then without making any changes, clean the MAF then log. You'll be suprised
    When you get MAF & VE afr error to +/- 1 , multiply by 1/2%. Should be able to feel it in your pedal by then.

chris
    06 LQ4 2500HD CC LB 4wd 4.56, Dana 60,
    17 3500HD 6.0 srw
    GenIII Unlimited GM Full Size Truck/SUV
    Serial cable to WiFi

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    Now that you're done tuning, disable VE and tell me if you feel any difference. My guess is no. LOL!
    Not sure what you are getting at? (or what the "LOL" is for?)

Feel any difference from what to what?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blucreek View Post
    Use your Wideband to check to check your tune, I highly suggest applying the RTT with use of your wideband, you can locate and fix every deadspot you can find. Once you set it up it's really too easy!!

02 It wouldn't hurt to invest in a can of "CNC" MAF cleaner, available at your local parts store for about $7.

Log MAF with your wideband before cleaning, then without making any changes, clean the MAF then log. You'll be suprised
    When you get MAF & VE afr error to +/- 1 , multiply by 1/2%. Should be able to feel it in your pedal by then.

chris
    I still use the old "serial" version of HPT, but will be upgrading very soon to the MPVI Pro. Hopefully, will own a wideband at that time too.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    Not sure what you are getting at? (or what the "LOL" is for?)

Feel any difference from what to what?
    Basically, what I was getting at is that you spent all that time dialing in the VE and MAF separately (I believe this is what you did, correct?), which is the GM method. However, I was asking you to disable the VE, and run solely on the MAF, and then tell me if you can feel any difference whatsoever in how your truck performs? My guess is no, you wouldn't, and/or it would run better, provided you have the MAF dialed in 100% properly. My point is that many could eliminate/disable the VE tuning altogether, and just run on and tune solely the MAF, and still have a perfect running vehicle.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Basically, what I was getting at is that you spent all that time dialing in the VE and MAF separately (I believe this is what you did, correct?), which is the GM method. However, I was asking you to disable the VE, and run solely on the MAF, and then tell me if you can feel any difference whatsoever in how your truck performs? My guess is no, you wouldn't, and/or it would run better, provided you have the MAF dialed in 100% properly. My point is that many could eliminate/disable the VE tuning altogether, and just run on and tune solely the MAF, and still have a perfect running vehicle.
    true story..

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for that explanation. I was actually going to ask this same question.

To do that, would you just have to zero out the scale I attached below, and DISABLE LTFT's?
    Then simply leave those two settings alone?

That's what I did when I tuned maf meter, and FWIW, both my car and my truck seemed to run better solely on the maf...once STFT's were dialed in.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 01-17-2010 at 10:07 PM.