Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Removeable Wideband

Recommend Removeable Wideband

I currently use an Autometer wideband that is hardwired into my car. I am happy with it, but I need to get another one to use for tuning friend's cars. I need something with an adapter for the cig lighter. I suppose I could wire an adapter onto any wideband, but I want to hear opinions.

I also will have to run the data wire to the AC sensor to log AFR. A gauge isn't really needed in this case. Suggestions?

NGK AFX
    its been the most reliable of all the budget widebands and is easily used as a mobile wideband...
    I use mine that way
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Hows the LC-1 rank is wideband land?

My Personal Opinion....
    I'd rather tune by the plugs than tune with an LC1 or any innovate motorsports product

long story short...had an LM1...was sent an LC1 to test and to use... walked into the office in San Diego to show them a grounding/wiring problem....they said it wasnt a problem....I gave it back to them after modifying the internal guts to fix their problem..
    they still havent fixed the issue for production...
    and the controller is not that great at handling heat..so if you get it too close to the engine heat...the sensor overheats cause the controller is also still heating it up...
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Damn, I JUST got my LC-1 in today.

Quote Originally Posted by 364TA View Post
    Damn, I JUST got my LC-1 in today.
    just know that if you have some issues...it may be the fault of the LC1
    definately set it up to be a much narrower range... set it up to be 10~16AFR
    dont use the narrowband output and the wideband output at the same time
    pick one grounding spot for everything....
    if you get poer from the cig lighter....use just the positive wire and send the ground to somwhere else...personally I would stay away from the cigarette lighter for power with innovate products...take them all straight to the fuse box or straight to an ignition relay point
    if you use the narrowband output wire all the grounds to the narrowband negative wire
    also a noise filtering capacitor on the power lead will help....
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    just know that if you have some issues...it may be the fault of the LC1
    definately set it up to be a much narrower range... set it up to be 10~16AFR
    dont use the narrowband output and the wideband output at the same time
    pick one grounding spot for everything....
    if you get poer from the cig lighter....use just the positive wire and send the ground to somwhere else...personally I would stay away from the cigarette lighter for power with innovate products...take them all straight to the fuse box or straight to an ignition relay point
    if you use the narrowband output wire all the grounds to the narrowband negative wire
    also a noise filtering capacitor on the power lead will help....
    Im not gonna lie, most of that is gibberish to me involving the wideband. Electrical I got, But im still so green with the tuning it pitiful. Hence my very newb thread. But htanks for the reply, When I go to install, I will try to do all those things.

if you can find an extension wire...
    measure the resistance in ohms between your hopeful grounding point and the pcm ground....
    less resistance is better

if you cant find a good grounding spot...just run an extension wire from the pcm to where ever you want to ground it and connect the 2 wires
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    You saying the ground for the PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by 364TA View Post
    You saying the ground for the PCM?
    yes..pcm ground
    -Scott -

NGK AFX
    its been the most reliable of all the budget widebands and is easily used as a mobile wideband...
    I use mine that way
    Thanks. I think I'm going to order one. Where did you get the parts to wire it into the cig lighter? I'm sure I could poke around at Radio Shack, but I bet you know where to go.

NGK AFX
    I use mine that way
    Didn't you set up a quick disconnect for your wideband? I vaguely recall seeing a picture somewhere....I think?
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Tuner in Training
    Im all of a sudden not wanting to install my LC-1

The NGK doesn't need the disconnect box that I had built
    And I had built it for the lc1 that I got rid of

And I bought the 10 amp DC cigarette lighter plug from radio-shack to use with my NGK which has no issues
    -Scott -

Must have been thinking of you LC1 then. Thanks!
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Tuner in Training
    Anybody else have pre-mature failure with the LC-1? Im thinking about selling it and getting the reccomended

I had two LC1's burn up on me before I said screw it and got a dynojet wideband commander. I made it portable and have used it in several cars, works great!
    '98 Z28 M6: 370ci | twin 6165 | E85

LC1 sucks

LM1 is not too bad, I have run that against an NGK and they were dead nuts. I like the LM1 because I can configure it to have a much more accurate readout in HPT vs. others I have used.

Careful with the Autometer as well. The sample rate on it is piss poor and you will get bad data. I have mine for a quick reference in my car (and it looks cool) but that is about it. Every time I want to really check things out I put in the LM1 (or NGK).
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
    LC1 sucks

LM1 is not too bad, I have run that against an NGK and they were dead nuts. I like the LM1 because I can configure it to have a much more accurate readout in HPT vs. others I have used.

Careful with the Autometer as well. The sample rate on it is piss poor and you will get bad data. I have mine for a quick reference in my car (and it looks cool) but that is about it. Every time I want to really check things out I put in the LM1 (or NGK).
    my experience was hit or miss with the LM1...totally vehicle dependent and grounding dependent...
    some cars it was fine....others I had to do some serious readjusting to get it to read correct..
    -Scott -

Interesting, mine does not have that issue. Must just be lucky
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB