Thread: laptop died in middle of tune, now i cant connect to ecm

Tuner in Training

laptop died in middle of tune, now i cant connect to ecm

laptop died in middle of tune and now it wont connect to computer,, it keeps flashing busy in hp bx and wont read computer... does anyone know what i gotta do to get it to work? is the ecm fried?

Need to know more details
    What vehicle?

You can try to do a write entire
    Cant guarantee anything though

And how many times do i have to say this crap...
    Never write to the pcm without guaranteed power.. Meaning plug in the dam laptop

If yoy are in a shop.. On the dyno... There is no excuse for not having the laptop plugged in while writing to the pcm

If you choose to write to a pcm and are relying on laptop battery.. Be sure all sleep and hibernation is turned off on your laptop
    You also may want to set a higher percentage for low battery warning and never write below that level

There is never any reason why you absutely have to write to a pcm with a low battery
    You can always wait till later when you can plug in the laptop for safety
    Last edited by S2H; 02-21-2009 at 08:55 PM.
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    2000 z28.. we did have a extension cord on it,, must of moved and wasnt charging and i didnt notice.. it was about 50 percent done with screen went blank.. and then i restarted the computer and it wont connect to the computer.. it wont let me do anything ,, wont even connect to the pcm now keeps flashing busy on the box..

Quote Originally Posted by mrmotorsports View Post
    2000 z28.. we did have a extension cord on it,, must of moved and wasnt charging and i didnt notice.. it was about 50 percent done with screen went blank.. and then i restarted the computer and it wont connect to the computer.. it wont let me do anything ,, wont even connect to the pcm now keeps flashing busy on the box..
    if you were doing a write entire the PCM is fried...
    if you were doing a write calibration then you should be able to do a recovery

check the battery voltage on the car....maybe hook it up to the shop charger for a little bit before you try to write again...get the voltage up to at least 12v
    anything below that and pcms get a little flaky on connections
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    if you were doing a write entire the PCM is fried...
    if you were doing a write calibration then you should be able to do a recovery

check the battery voltage on the car....maybe hook it up to the shop charger for a little bit before you try to write again...get the voltage up to at least 12v
    anything below that and pcms get a little flaky on connections

i was doing a write entire on the pcm.. we did have a charger on the battery on car too just to make sure it had enough voltage,,, like i said , we never had this problem., this is the first time it happened..

Write Entire = Toast

You can fix it only by pulling the EProm from the PCM(not an easy task....and you can easily fry it if you get it too hot trying to free it up)and then writing directly to the Eprom with the appropriate Writing device....

or you can go get a new/used pcm from somewhere and make sure you have a valid OS on it...then you can write with HPT and get back to whatever you were doing before this mistake

you will need to decide how to handle it from your end of the deal with the customer...
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    Write Entire = Toast

You can fix it only by pulling the EProm from the PCM(not an easy task....and you can easily fry it if you get it too hot trying to free it up)and then writing directly to the Eprom with the appropriate Writing device....

or you can go get a new/used pcm from somewhere and make sure you have a valid OS on it...then you can write with HPT and get back to whatever you were doing before this mistake

you will need to decide how to handle it from your end of the deal with the customer...
    its actually one of my shop cars so thats alot better then a customer cars.. thanks for your help..

is there any way i can download a stock tune from here? i need a stock tune for a 2000 z28 automatic.. does anyone have one? this is how the entire problem started ,someone put a tune in it before and was totally off so i was trying to get it closer.. thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by mrmotorsports View Post
    its actually one of my shop cars so thats alot better then a customer cars.. thanks for your help..

is there any way i can download a stock tune from here? i need a stock tune for a 2000 z28 automatic.. does anyone have one? this is how the entire problem started ,someone put a tune in it before and was totally off so i was trying to get it closer.. thanks..
    yes..from the main page you can go to the repository and get a stock file that somebody else has uploaded
    Last edited by S2H; 02-21-2009 at 10:14 PM.
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training carseat-qatar's Avatar
    Hi' before you do write entire it means you have already base file that you edit? you can try to write calibration that base file that you took from the vehicle to at least get it work again.

i have experience the same problem during process of write entire my edit file and car wont works but i give a try to write calibration the base file and its complete writing then i proceed to write the edited one.

Hope it will works also to you.

Cheers