Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM killing off Pontiac

Angry GM killing off Pontiac

thats what iam hearing, its part of gm reconstruction ..say it isnt sooo!!!!
    98 GRAND PRIX GTP ,02 GRAND PRIX GT TURBO A2A IC.

Potential Tuner
    what good car does pontiac currently make? they already did away with the firebird and gto.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by s_10onbagz View Post
    what good car does pontiac currently make? they already did away with the firebird and gto.
    Who doesn't like the G8..... It's an awesome ride.
    1999 Pontiac TransAm A4 LTs, ORY, LS6 Intake, PP 85mm TB, SLP Lid, TCI 3500 Stall, BFG Drag Radials, NX 100 shot setup,

2004 HD2500 GMC 4x4 crew cab

i heard the ST (the aussie ute) is no longer planned for US.
    I count sheep in hex...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Doesn't holden make the G8 though?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    i heard the ST (the aussie ute) is no longer planned for US.
    Correct, this got axed several months ago.

I heard that Pontiac-Buick-GMC are officially divisionalizing and will cut the less popular (slower selling models) and come back trimmed and lean.

Quote Originally Posted by robfromlouisville View Post
    thats what iam hearing, its part of gm reconstruction ..say it isnt sooo!!!!

Senior Tuner
    GM will only be GMC, Chevrolet, Buick and Cadillac. Everything else is being sold (Hummer) or let to die (Saab and Pontiac). According to Mr. Wagoner.

It's pretty depressing when I drive on the road these day's. More than 70% of the cars I see total on any given day are European or Japanese. The vast majority of the public has given up their support for American auto maker's. I must admit though, being able to neglect ALL maintenance aspects of Toyota's, Nissan's, and Honda's schedule and run on original oil for 40000 miles and then anoter 250k with few to no oil or other fluid changes is impressive.
    2001 NBM Z28
    Junkyard 2005 LQ9 T56 swap/LS7 clutch & Patriot Stg. 3 LS6 heads with a Polluter cam & Vengeance ported Fast 92, Innovative MTX-L wideband & HPTuners. No dyno #'s, but feels great on the street w/ a 1.113EQ. ratio. Still working on the tune..

well GM must be doing something right, it was only this year that toyota surpassed them as #1. The downturn in truck sales and lacklustre small/med car developments are obviously the reason, i just hope they have the answer.
    I count sheep in hex...

As far as I am concerned, is there a better car for the money then the G8 GT?

Quote Originally Posted by c.w.barber View Post
    As far as I am concerned, is there a better car for the money then the G8 GT?
    i'm sure GM hopes the answer to that question is the Camaro.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Just because they axe the Pontiac brand doesn't mean that the G8 has to go away. It could be re-branded as a Chevrolet or a Buick... LOL might give people a reason to actually want to buy a Buick. Hopefully they are smart enough to hold on to the good cars/platforms from brands that get dropped.

it would be cool if someone took over the pontiac.brand and gave it back its own identification ,,, gm performance, cars all have the ls1 or 3.8s/c ,make pontiac the way it was when it had the small block 400,455 and that motor was only in pontiac cars ..who knows it may happen !! 2011 pontiac trans am ,,with a 455 6 speed ..that would be bad ass ,i would be first in line!!!who knows it may happen!!!!
    Last edited by robfromlouisville; 02-24-2009 at 01:08 PM.
    98 GRAND PRIX GTP ,02 GRAND PRIX GT TURBO A2A IC.

My first car was a 1969 Camaro and I kept it for 11 years and sold it for twice what I originally paid.

The 1969 Camaro is one of a handful that will forever be popular and grow in value. Cars like the 1957 Chevy, 1963 Corvette, and 1965 Mustang.

While many say the new Camaro is attractive, I don't like factory retro designs. I believe cars have a styling life cycle. When they are done, move on and create a new one. Are designers so out of ideas that they have to copy ones from 20 years ago? What are they going to come out with next? A retro Pacer? A Pinto? A Vega? Gremlin? God, it scares me to think about it!

Another way to look at it is driving a retro style car is like going to a Elvis impersonation show in Las Vegas. Sort of looks like Elvis but not really.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mez View Post
    My first car was a 1969 Camaro and I kept it for 11 years and sold it for twice what I originally paid.

The 1969 Camaro is one of a handful that will forever be popular and grow in value. Cars like the 1957 Chevy, 1963 Corvette, and 1965 Mustang.

While many say the new Camaro is attractive, I don't like factory retro designs. I believe cars have a styling life cycle. When they are done, move on and create a new one. Are designers so out of ideas that they have to copy ones from 20 years ago? What are they going to come out with next? A retro Pacer? A Pinto? A Vega? Gremlin? God, it scares me to think about it!

Another way to look at it is driving a retro style car is like going to a Elvis impersonation show in Las Vegas. Sort of looks like Elvis but not really.

Just my opinion.

personally i think the guy who designed the instrument cluster on the new Camaro was a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, if ya know what i mean...
    I count sheep in hex...

personally i think the guy who designed the instrument cluster on the new Camaro was a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, if ya know what i mean...
    He was hungry?

... yes it is a bit too much of a retro-modern thing. I prefer the G8 style of dash. It gets the same point across, while maintaining a certain amount of decency.
    Tyler

ha, classic. couldn't have said it better.

Honestly, im surprised they'd keep Buick. The G8 is cool, but what else Pontiac is? Hopefully them trimming down will bring more development to the table for a direct injected V8 *crosses fingers*
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Globally buick is a big seller for GM which is likely the reason they are keeping it around.

Didn't know that Buick is that much of a seller. Just the other day I saw a brand new buick and thought to myself, is Buick still around? lol.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon