Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford tuning in AUS

Advanced Tuner
    Well when in closed loop there is an active TPS table that modifies the desired boost table.

In closed loop the 'desired boost' table is active.

Got a screen shot of ur art work toady ?
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    Just open up HP and have a look!! I don't have my tuning laptops with me!

Iam trying to get u to post up something so i can copy it lolol

Yeh my "tuning laptop" isnt with me either haha

Trying to get a few pointers

Blood from a stone !!!'
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons

Advanced Tuner
    Did you buy your HPTuners Jet?

Advanced Tuner
    IMG_0439.jpg
    Here is my Wideband setup

Advanced Tuner
    IMG_0532.jpg
    This was the block when I was prepping it all up
    IMG_0388.jpg
    And this is what I put it

Advanced Tuner
    IMG_0414.JPG
    And this is what happened to dans ute with a poor port job, dave had to zero the gate duty table out and a cold night with a bit of overboost.

Advanced Tuner
    uhoh......the ol' wobbly rod syndrome......knock knock Rod's here...

Twin racing air fresheners........ Woooooooooooooooow!
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah I usually have two of those black slim line eagle one air fresheners but they were all sold out FFS!
    Had to have two, didn't want to mess up fords perfect weight distribution. lol
    Yeah dan and I were floating to rockhampton one night for a feed with the girls and my other mate with a xr8 ute. Get to hogs breath and he goes, i think ive got a crook lifter....Im like nah it sounds like Its coming from down lower. and that is crank rpm frequency... I would truck it home but if you are going to drive it just putt home ok.... on the highway Im just chillin, cruising along, then cam in is xr8 goes passed flat out, I laughed cause its xr8 and slow.......NEKK MINNIT dan goes passed me and then rounds up cam on the speed limiter. I called him up and said what happened to going slow? hes goes no chance I was letting an xr8 chew me lol

So toads tel me more about the pro's n con's in zero'ing out every value in the boost control table

Advanced Tuner
    one major pro is weight reduction in the tunes, because as Im sure you are aware 0's are lighter than 1's,2's,3's etc etc so you pick up a few grams just in the tune!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    one major pro is weight reduction in the tunes, because as Im sure you are aware 0's are lighter than 1's,2's,3's etc etc so you pick up a few grams just in the tune!
    ^^^ very true!!!

Zero'ing basically forces open loop. Open loop is the electronic equivalent to adding a bleed valve except you have the ability to bleed air at differing rates for different RPM and intake temps. Biggest disadvantage is lost spool in lower gears and overshoot in high gears 5th, 6th and even 4th if it was tuned in 3rd. Benefit it stability and you get what you ask for 100% of the time (in terms of commanded duty cycle). Open loop is commonly associated with a loss of overboost protection.

Closed loop (calibrating the PI system as opposed to zero'ing) is time consuming and technically difficult in comparison to open loop. Because a tuner gets cars with differing hardware mods, each car would need a specific PI calibration making the job quite time consuming which cost $$. If done right you get your 'desired boost' in all circumstances AND you maintain factory style overboost protection / FMEM.

Personally I have found a well set up eBoost2 (with tach reference) to be the most user friendly and reliable method of controlling boost. They are easy as to set-up, very quick to tune and allows modifying boost on the fly. Most people are to tight to fork out given that the factory controller in open loop 'does the job'.

Ok i see

Have you spent the time to calibrate a boost table in closed loop before, and been able to use "most of the referanced" part of that calibtated map to the get a basis of another car's boost control or os it just better to start fresh each and every time ?
    I take it due to having "overboost protection" with closed loop its worth it in the long run to spend the time calibrating the table

Is it taken as being "dodgy" to zero and just fly blind up top in boost condition ? I think yes but what is the general concensis ?

Luke whats your take ?

Advanced Tuner
    Closed loop is well calibrated from the factory and the boost control hardware is also.

When it comes to modified cars I have spent hrs and hrs calibrating closed loop and some hardware set-up's definately respond better than others.

Overboost protection can be enabled with open loop but for some unknown reason 99% of tuners disable it! I have it enabled with my eBoost....except its calibrated so that my eBoost overboost protection is enabled first (at a lower overboost threshold). Also unlike SCT, HP can't access the P1227 threshold scalar as far as I'm aware.

I've had really good success with the eBoost and for this reason it's still my preferred method of controlling boost.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JETURBO View Post
    Luke whats your take ?
    I agree with the toad. I've been running an eboost 2 for over 7yrs and for my money they ease of setup and stability of boost control (plus rpm/gear based boost mapping) make them ideal. The PI system used by the factory works very well the factory installed mechanical restrictions but once they are removed it takes a very highly skilled tuner and a customer who's willing to pay for the time to come close to the set and forget operation of the eboost.

i need to try and master the hp stuff vs sell on more products for not only my self ( master hp ) but for the end user, i would say closed loop would be spot on as a factory file but it when u start to " custom tune " on top of this is where i would want to maintain that level of safety

toads i assume u dont use hp much for tuning falcons when u have SCT correct ?

what was the 1 main reason u jumped to SCT ?

Advanced Tuner
    I started with SCT and a few yrs later bought HP as a number of friends were using it and made it easy to share files.

Advanced Tuner
    And toads got hold of SCT before Herrod started being a funny about supplying the software to average joe

Advanced Tuner
    closed loop works fine when you are with in the limits of the turbo system etc..