Thread: Catalyst test vs Post O2 test

Catalyst test vs Post O2 test

Can anyone explain/clarify the difference between these two tests?

The post cat O2s are obviously to monitor catalyst efficiency.

Is the post O2 test simply to verify these O2s are being heated/and or switching properly?

Thanks
    Flea
    --------------
    2006 GTO
    Kooks LTs, NGK WB
    12.96 @109.12

Catalyst vs post O2

So no one can explain the difference between and/or relationship between these two tests?

Disabling the post O2 test eliminates the low catalyst efficiency DTC. What then, is the purpose of the master catalyst enable/disable?

Flea
    --------------
    2006 GTO
    Kooks LTs, NGK WB
    12.96 @109.12

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I'm not exactly sure of the purpose of the two tests, however I'm pretty sure both of them can basically take over your AFR at any given moment which can be a bit unnerving when your commanded afr goes to 16:1 for no obvious reason which is why the switches were added originally.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks Bill,

I appreciate your candor. I've been digging around on the site, my Helms manual, etc. and I can't quite figure out the exact function either. If I find anything I'll post the info.
    Flea
    --------------
    2006 GTO
    Kooks LTs, NGK WB
    12.96 @109.12

New info on Post O2 Test

Only disabling the master post O2 test does not prevent P0420/430 DTCs (at least on the E40 GTOs)

Based on this it appears the purpose of the master post O2 test is to monitor the performance of these O2 sensors. It does not disable the sensors.
    Flea
    --------------
    2006 GTO
    Kooks LTs, NGK WB
    12.96 @109.12

Sort of off the subject, but if you disable COT and you have DOD it will not request DOD. I also feel it may affect the VVT Cam Phase position also "not 100% sure" I had to turn the COT back on and set the rate to 1.0 and super high COT enable points to get around it.

Catalyst test and Post O2 test are both shut off in my tune. No SES lights. This is with an E38, L76 combo

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Only disabling the master post O2 test does not prevent P0420/430 DTCs (at least on the E40 GTOs)

Based on this it appears the purpose of the master post O2 test is to monitor the performance of these O2 sensors. It does not disable the sensors.
    HI.
    Old thread I know but since they have removed the options to disable post 02 test, I would like to know what the ecu is actually is doing during this test?

Tuning Addict
    Usually post O2 will switch super rich and then super lean for a period of seconds each within 4 minutes of engine runtime - Precat O2 test will happen right after fire up. Cat test "usually" run while at speed and switch fueling normally, but it will look at the rear O2's to make sure they stay the same or don't turn into a sine wave. Once you start removing parts without cutting things off is where it can get interesting because it can get "stuck" lean or rich or even go into open loop... Most GM products will do start the test with the driver's precat O2 then switch to the passenger's precat O2. If driver's fails - it'll usually default open loop. Passenger's fails it'll default to using driver's for both banks. At least that's what I've noticed...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC