Thread: Fuel trims with only 1 sensor???

Tuner in Training

Fuel trims with only 1 sensor???

Have been looking at single turbo setups lately and many have ran one manifold/header from one bank right into the other then the turbo. This is how it is on my 51 ford swap. During the tuning, I was forced to go to open loop only. I have driven it for 3 years now that way. Is there any way to tune with a common o2 sensor? 1 sensor for both banks. If not, one sensor will read 4 cylinders then the other will read 8 cylinders and mess everything up.

Tuner in Training
    Right o2 corrects right bank and left o2 corrects left bank, so if both banks have a common 02 then, it no longer corrects properly. At least this is what I had witnessed.

No. If you put it common and each bank is not perfectly matched, it will make on side leaner/richer than the other and may be making wrong corrections.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Thats what I think that I meant.....But it is not even possible to have both exhaust streams going through one sensor right? Just like to re-tune so that I can go into closed loop. (if it is even possible with what I have)

No, because if the driver side wants +5% fuel and the passenger side wants -15% fuel (yes, I know this is exaggerated, but just go with it lol) then chances are your correction will be somewhere around -5% or so, which will make one bank 5% rich and the other 10% lean. You would be better off with no correction in some cases.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    That is what I had seen during tuning attempts. Before the truck was mine, I was asked to tune it. They had both right and left o2 sensors were in the same stream. I tried for 20 minutes before opening the hood to find this out. When I went open loop, tuned it with a wideband, all was good and has been for the last 3 years. I just can't believe that all these kits out there are done where they have to be open loop. So, I assume that there is no way to operate with only one o2 sensor, kind of like some of the front drives are set up.