Thread: are all 4l60e's the same??

Tuner in Training

are all 4l60e's the same??

I've been working on a conversion vehicle. It is a 1998 blazer with a 2001 silverado ecu and 6.0 ls1. Motor runs great but been having issues with the trans.

Originally we installed a 2003 4l60e with a transgo hd-2 3200 stall. But it did not shift right. I used several tunes off this site, including a stock 2001 silverado. Is shifted extremely slow, bouncing of the rev limiter on the shifts, slipped in 3rd.

At 1:45 during the scan you can see it climbs to 6500rpm, but doesn't shift until I let off, then it shifts 3rd and 4th. That is the problem we keep having.

We could not get the trans to shift right period. So we install the blazers original trans 1998 4l60e stock converter. But again we had the same problems. Basically the same problems.

The first two transmissions we installed we're not 100% these transmission worked. The last one was a 4l60e from 1994 chevy 1/2 ton pickup that we drove to the spot we changed the transmission. first attempt it seem to drive nice under normal conditions, but the same old problems with a WOT pass. Stock tune slipped in all gears.

So we have installed 2003, 1998, 1994, 4l60e's many different stock tunes and will not shift correctly. first is there electronically any difference between 4l60e?

Tuner in Training

updated info

updated info...Loaded a 100% stock 2001 silverado transmission tune. Again no difference.

Potential Tuner

Trans Slipping

I am having a similar problem with a 2006 5.3 and a 4l60E. Bought the engine and trans together and both are stock. When cruising everything is fine. Even under moderate acceleration it is OK. When I stand on it it will slip some as the RPM climbs but not too bad. Then at about 4500 RPM it just lets go and the engine will buzz. The initial slip feels like tire spin (open rear end, no posi) but when it lets go it is like you put it into neutral. I lift off the gas and it will up shift and does the moderate slipping in the next gear. Any Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by fishlips View Post
    I am having a similar problem with a 2006 5.3 and a 4l60E. Bought the engine and trans together and both are stock. When cruising everything is fine. Even under moderate acceleration it is OK. When I stand on it it will slip some as the RPM climbs but not too bad. Then at about 4500 RPM it just lets go and the engine will buzz. The initial slip feels like tire spin (open rear end, no posi) but when it lets go it is like you put it into neutral. I lift off the gas and it will up shift and does the moderate slipping in the next gear. Any Ideas?
    if your transmission is slipping like that you probably need a rebuild...sounds like you have toatsed one of the clutch packs
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by ss44 View Post
    updated info...Loaded a 100% stock 2001 silverado transmission tune. Again no difference.
    for the most part they are all the same....only differences end up being personal taste mods like higher stall or shift kits...

zero out the Desired Shift times....
    that will help some...

your tire size is possibly messing with the shift points...it probably isnt meeting the MPH requirements in the tune

try setting the Full Throttle Shift Speed upshift speeds all to 0MPH
    then set the Full Throttle Shift RPM to your desired shift rpm...
    if it doesnt shift at(or slightly above) the desired shift rpm..then you have a transmission problem
    its gonna shift after the rpm no matter what casue 4l60's are slow in general....(give it a few hundred rpm headroom..especially in 1st gear cause it hits it so quick)
    but it will shift...... so set it a few hundred rpm below where you want it to shift at WOT

I'll get you a tire size calculator spreadsheet here in a few minutes...
    then you can just plug in your tire size and it will spit out the correct size to put in the pcm
    -Scott -

Tire Size Calculator...
    get the info off the side of your tire...
    it spits out the result in inches
    -Scott -

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the input!