Thread: Dealer - Warranty - Reflashes

Tuner

Dealer - Warranty - Reflashes

I have seen some posts regarding dealers using their Tech2 to check for reflashed ECM's when drive train warranty work is needed. I cannot find the posts that show what Chris has to say.

On another note, I have access to the Tech2 at my part-time place. I checked the ECM on my 2007 Vette which has been reflashed MANY times, and found there were differences that were mentioned in the GM bulletin regarding warranty questions. Bulletin 08-06-04-033C. I then reflashed the ECM back to the ORIGINAL file that was in the car when I bought it brand new. Checked with a Tech2 and now there are NO differences compared to the info that GM wants you to look for.

So, I hope that answers the question about installing the original flash if you want to. I am not condoning nor disapproving this practice; just merely stating the results I have seen. Also not saying that this works the same with ALL vehicles.

the Calibration Verification Number or CVN, is a special "checksum" that GM and others use to verify the integrity of each segment of the calibration.

eg.
    original tune
    Engine Cal ID: 12590001
    Engine Cal CVN: F946

after tuning
    Engine Cal ID: 12590001 (doesn't change)
    Engine Cal CVN: B786

CVN is recalculated anytime a parameter is changed. If you put your stock tune back in, the CVN will be stock and matching what the expected numbers are.

Of course, if you are concerned about warranty you should discuss it with your dealer or don't mod your ride.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepartz View Post
    I then reflashed the ECM back to the ORIGINAL file that was in the car when I bought it brand new.
    Did you reflash the stock file with the Tech II or HPT?
    Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb
    1/4 mile: 13.33 @ 105 mph

Is there a way to see the CVN or Calibration Verification Number via HP Tuners?

I'd like to see the CVNs for my stock tune so I can verify if my stock file had all the GM updates...
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now
    Previous Rides: 2008 G8 GT, 2004 GTO, 2004 GTP, 2002 TA

under edit -> calibration deatils, controller details.

you can see the calibration part numbers and compare them to the GM website.
    I count sheep in hex...

So then if the part number (OS ID) matches then I have the latest? (12624402 is what I have)

http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2we...#AZO6PG86P4K6P

Under the OS, there's several sub groups, each with their own part number and CVN--which I can't see in HPT--only reason I'd need to is if they change independently of the OS ID.

Do you know if GM changes anything under the Main OS ID, does that change the OS ID or just the CVN(s)? I would hope it changes the main Part Number, but with GM you can never be sure.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now

From what I hear, nope, gm does indeed change the calibrations of the segments...and not the OS ID.

So is there any way to see the CVN and segment CVN in HPT?

contact support for the latest beta. it is in there.
    I count sheep in hex...

Will do.

That rocks. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    contact support for the latest beta. it is in there.
    sweet, will this feature be included in the new release?
    Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb
    1/4 mile: 13.33 @ 105 mph

Hopefully the CVNs will make it too, the beta has the Segment ID (Part Numbers) so at least we can verify the OS / Segment Calibrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    CVN is recalculated anytime a parameter is changed. If you put your stock tune back in, the CVN will be stock and matching what the expected numbers are.

Of course, if you are concerned about warranty you should discuss it with your dealer or don't mod your ride.
    Sounds to me like you should load your OE file before going
    to the dealer, and when you get home put your tune back in...

If you load your OE file do you need to drive it a while so the computer has some time since reset?

Thanks for your help on this.....I have transmission problems and put my OE file.......now its worse

Any new info on this? I have a 2011 E38 pcm.
    2014 ZL1. Manual trans.

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gasser, 6 speed auto

Advanced Tuner
    Any updates do not have the stock file, need warranty work rear end blew! How can I verify the CVN numbers with HP tuners? I only see the part numbers not the CVN.

Can I down load a stock file from the data base and change the vin, and flash that to his truck?

Advanced Tuner
    I have seen the GM bulletin that explains the procedure to check if the tune has been changed or modified from stock, so I have to believe they can tell.
    I'll believe that until proved wrong and I wish someone could prove they can't tell.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
    I have seen the GM bulletin that explains the procedure to check if the tune has been changed or modified from stock, so I have to believe they can tell.
    I'll believe that until proved wrong and I wish someone could prove they can't tell.
    I've scene that bulletin as well. I'll I am wondering is how to view the CVN with Hp tuners, and how to change it. I do not have the stock file, how can I get a stock file? I believe the only choice, is to get GM TIS and flash it?

The only other hope is that the dealer will be desperate for work, and re-flash it with GM Tech 2 and then take the picture and send it to GM so they go get approval, then fix the truck, or that they just don't bother to check it.

Advanced Tuner
    This is part of the bulletin I read. They way it reads it seems changes would be visible.

Note: GDS is capable of displaying up to 10 Calibration History events.
    23. Select: Calibration History from the drop down menu in order to display the following items on the screen:
    • Calibration History Buffer
    • Number of Calibration History Events Stored
    • Calibration Part Number History
    • Calibration Verification Number History
    24. Select: Screenshot.
    25. Name and save the file in an appropriate folder.
    26. Select : Print, and retain a copy of the screenshot with the repair order.
    27. E-mail a copy of the screenshot to [email protected]. In the subject line of the e-mail include the phrase "V8 Cal" as well as the complete VIN and Dealer BAC. In the body of the e-mail, include the VIN, mileage, R.O. number and BAC. Include a brief description of the customer concern and cause of the concern.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

"Note: GDS is capable of displaying up to 10 Calibration History events."

Does this mean flashing the stock file 10 times will remove any history?