Thread: 08 Silverado Vmax 4L70E swap to a 6L90E

08 Silverado Vmax 4L70E swap to a 6L90E

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know I have the right ECM to control the 6L series Tranny module. Speartech can make me a harness. Do you guys think I would have issues with the other components in the truck? I have one of the last few Vortec MAX's made with the 4l70E tranny before they all went to 6L80's.

Tuner in Training
    i think its a pretty simple swap as far as I can tell. the trans computer is IN the 6L80E so you just need a harness to connect it to the truck i guess.
    2008 GMC Sierra RCSB 4.8L

I wonder about the gear selector, and what gear positions are selectable on a 6 speed truck. Is there still only 4 positions not including P, R, or N. I also wonder if a tech2 scanner can reprogram the LAN system for the 6L90E or 6L80E. I am going FI on this truck and when the 4L70E goes I would like to upgrade to the 6 speed if I can work all of the bugs out.

Tuner in Training
    i just noticed your title says 6L90E. This is the trans I want to put in my truck. The output shaft is different than the 6L80E so you'll need a specific yoke for it and maybe a custom driveshaft. The selector cables are different between the 4 and 6 speeds. The selector on the 6 speeds does still have the same # of options, but i'm not sure what those options are besides PRND obviously.
    2008 GMC Sierra RCSB 4.8L

Spartech can make a harness to interface to the E38. But outside of that it’s the gm LAN/body controller that may cause issues. He seemed to think that the tranny would work but as to what else it may effect is still unknown. I know for my truck finding an OS with the 6L80E trans is not a problem.

It would be nice to work it all out for when my 4L70E fails to upgrade to this trans.

Almost need a tuning solution just for the GM LAN system. It would make radio swaps and other items a snap.