Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new throttle opening rate table E40/38/67

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yeah, I've seen a few vehicles use it & others that have it set to 100%, kinda hit or miss really.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Here is the table from my '05 vette (E40). I would expect snappier throttle response by increasing the extremely small values. I may be able to gain some traction by lowering the right-most values in the 1st and 2nd gear rows too.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

WOW that is really backed off from GM

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    Here is the table from my '05 vette (E40). I would expect snappier throttle response by increasing the extremely small values. I may be able to gain some traction by lowering the right-most values in the 1st and 2nd gear rows too.
    Yeah I saw similar settings on an 05 SSR file I was viewing yesterday.

Senior Tuner
    awesome find guys!
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    This is awesome. Email sent.

I tried this out today. I just maxed it all out to 100%'s. It seemed noticably snappier, particularly with higher RPM, low load, low ETC. Later I'll set up a config logging all the various ETC PIDs and see if there is a difference that can be shown.
    Bill Winters

Advanced Tuner
    so how does this graph work here? i am assuming that vehicle speed is the x-axis and gear is the y-axis. the z-axis is the allowed throttle position. if this is the case, how does a 0% pedal position apply to throttle position? it doesnt make sense to me, chris can you explain what i am missing?
    Last edited by Texsrt4; 01-20-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    They're all 100's in my tune, and i didn't change those values. 06 GTO here. i checked a stock tune for both LS2 GTO years, and this values were all 100's as well.

Advanced Tuner
    100% means it is disabled (according to help)

Try it at 90% and see what happens...

Also, if this is the rate of change, then what is the target? Pedal position? I was kinda expecting a target and gain table, like setting 10% pedal position sets 30% TPS. I know the LS1 stuff has it like that...

Advanced Tuner
    We need more details on how to interpret the table, the way i see it is X-axis is ETC position, Y-axis is gear, and Z-axis is Max allow ETC opening% like in the ETC TPS MAx table in the tq managment tab. how should we read this table ?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    We need more details on how to interpret the table, the way i see it is X-axis is ETC position, Y-axis is gear, and Z-axis is Max allow ETC opening% like in the ETC TPS MAx table in the tq managment tab. how should we read this table ?
    That sounds about right although I think the x-axis is pedal position.

If it's indeed a Throttle Opening RATE table, then the Z values should really be either degrees/sec or %/sec opening, NOT a max opening angle/percent.

I tabbed through a bunch of files I had on hand and the vast majority of them are all 100's. It appears that the files that actually use this table do so in order to smooth out vehicle response, especially at low pedal angle or speeds. On these vehicles, opening the value up to 100 should allow it move the blade faster, but only up to whatever other maximum is defined.

The better application of this is probably for high power vehicles looking for "traction control" in low gears. Reducing the opening rate should make the application of power in 1st/2nd gears a little more controllable for super/turbocharged engines that could otherwise easily smoke the tires. I'll experiment with this in my turbo LS3 later this spring, once the roads thaw in MI.

the table is called "Throttle Area Increase Rate" and the short help says "This table controls the rate of increase of desired throttle area, set to maximum to disable."

The value is the amount the desired throttle area (the effective area opened by the throttle blade) is allowed to *increase* per "tick" of time within the PCM.

eg. In the ECM drive by wire works roughly like this:
    1. Pedal position is measured
    2. Pedal position is translated into a requested throttle area % (Driver Demand Throttle)
    3. This is arbitrated against all the other allowed throttle requestors, like Cruise Control, Idle and various forms of torque management and failure modes.
    4. the lowest is chosen (if nothing else is active then this will be the Driver Demand Throttle)
    5. At this point the ECM knows where the throttle wants to move to and also it's current position. It just has to decide how fast to move the throttle from it's current position to the desired position. This is where this table comes in.
    6. If the throttle area is *increasing* this table is looked at and the throttle is moved an amount based on the current position and the table value. If it's 1% then it won't move much this "tick". If it's 100% it will probably move directly to the new position (or as fast as is mechanically possible).
    7. The amount of time it takes for the throttle to increase to the new position depends on this table. Small numbers take longer, 100% is the fastest.

So it's a ramp rate

The intent of this table is to make the throttle move slower in low speed driving situations or prevent unwanted driveability issues on smaller engined vehicles in higher gears/low RPM.

This is why usually if calibrated this table will have numbers like 1% or 5% at the lower RPM or pedal positions in low gears. Unfortunately for higher powered vehicles it acts as an unwanted traction control. It also removes that nice crisp response you get in a blown car when you snap the throttle at low RPM.
    I count sheep in hex...

Thanks for making 1st and 2nd gear even MORE useless for me Chris...

Bill Winters

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    Thanks for making 1st and 2nd gear even MORE useless for me Chris...

hehe out here it is a measure of ones manhood how easily his car can fry the tires

3rd gear, half throttle, rolling from 35mph is always a winner
    I count sheep in hex...

I to was hoping to see my table NOT at 100%, but it was. I also checked a bunch of my old files and the only vehicle I had where it was not a 100% was a 06 SWB Trailblazer with a 5.3L. Any way the Beta is working great guys!!!

I also noticed the "undo last action" rather than "undo all". Thats nice too.
    Bill Winters

Advanced Tuner
    it appears that this throttle ramp rate change only applies to corvettes. the trucks and gtos are already maxed out. I wonder why that is, you would think that the vette, the flagship performance car, would be maxed out for maximum throttle response. oh well, i do like the undo last

i haven't seen any vettes with this calibrated. Usually the smaller engined trucks, 4 & 6 cyl cars and recently the Holdens.
    I count sheep in hex...