Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: couple wide band questions

Tuner

couple wide band questions

Hope these aren't dumb questions, just trying to make informed descisions. I plan on logging through a/c(probably), on my 02 Camaro.
    1. what is the best wideband out currently?
    2. do you leave the sensor in all the time, or just when you are tuning?
    3. I don't have the pro interface, is there a better place for me to use for logging other than the a/c input?
    Thanks in advance for your comments and/or opinions,
    Donnie

Tuner in Training
    In general most of the widebands out there are decent. I use an AEM; which has a great gauge for my setup and allows me to wire up to HPTuners - however, it does seem to jump around with its readings from time to time. LM1 is another good brand out there. Your best bet is to do a lot of research on the different ones - opinions will only get you so far.

Mine is in all the time. It is nice to be able to keep an eye on my AFRs while playing on the streets.

I've only done the logging through the pro interface; sorry.
    2006 GTO, M6, APS TT

Tuner
    Thanks TT GTO!

Tuner
    No more comments?

Do a search for wide bands. There are a few threads WB accuracy and testing. NGK AFX with the NTK sensor seems to be the best budget WB. I also have the pro interface. Do another search on AC or EGR connection. Hunt down 5 liter eater if you can not find what you are looking for. He is very knowledgeable with the non pro interface connections.
    Last edited by jackedupcanyon; 01-16-2009 at 07:37 PM.
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Senior Tuner
    Budget: NGK AFX with NTK

Recommend: LM2

I use: Fast Dual Wideband
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    Budget: NGK AFX with NTK

Recommend: LM2

I use: Fast Dual Wideband

The LM2 uses a cheap Bosch sensor; I know you aren't comparing it to the NTK unit that the AFX can utilize.... I don't really call the AFX with upgraded sensor a budget piece either at $365 (about 105 more than the AFX with the Bosch sensor). The LM2 is costly because of all of the extra features that you don't need (because you have HPT!)...
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The LM2 uses a cheap Bosch sensor; I know you aren't comparing it to the NTK unit that the AFX can utilize.... I don't really call the AFX with upgraded sensor a budget piece either at $365 (about 105 more than the AFX with the Bosch sensor). The LM2 is costly because of all of the extra features that you don't need (because you have HPT!)...

Same can be said about the FAST Dual wideband unit I have. I paid $150 used without sensors and a purchase is in the works for the (2) needed sensors or atleast (1) from Frosts' store front. I don't technically NEED the screen output on mine which is similar to the LM2 unit which outputs a visual screen of AFR...so yah...I guess its just preference/$'s. I saw an LM2 in action tuning right next to me while at the drag strip and my jaw dropped. It had just came out on the market at the time. It just seemed so NEW TA' DO when it came out. My FAST unit has a bright blue (Ricer) screen that all the noobs drool over. So the LM2 would be my first choice personally if I had the $'s.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Cell 210-954-4985

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Tuner
    Are the bosch sensors no good, or do they not last?

The Bosch sensor gives you a lot in an affordable package. With correct usage they can last a good amount of time (proper environment is key). The better units that use them will have the ability to calibrate to "free air". The others will rely on the cal resistor in the connector for a reference. Over time, their accuracy will drift when used against a cal resistor, and the ability to calibrate to open air means that the controller will be more accurate over the life of the sensor. Back to the sensor itself, the Bosch units are quite intolerant of leaded fuel, which puts many race fuels off limits. This can be a real deal breaker for many. The NTK sensors last quite a bit longer than the Bosch units. I know many people who have been using the same sensors for several years. The NTK sensor maintains it's accuracy over it's life better and can live in the face of leaded fuel.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner
    If you need to replace the Bosch sensor, it's stock on a 2005 Beetle Turbo. Go to the parts store and get it with a one year warranty and replace as necessary.

Tuner
    My plan is to install then do some fine tuning. I got everything pretty close with some dyno time and their wideband. I just want to check occasionally to make sure everything is running like it should. I don't have room for a gauge, and was considering doing the tuning then removing the sensor. Is this dumb or should I find a way to leave it up and running at all times? My plan was to use the downstream O2 bung as they are deleted for no cats. I am assuming closer to the engine gets more accurate info(as opposed to being completely temp w/ a clamp on the tailpipe), Is that a correct assumption? Thanks for all the info guys, this helps.

Tuner
    I doubt your rear 02 bung is far enough away that you are going to see any problems. Think about all the people that tune out of the tail pipe. You are much better than that at the rear 02 bung.

Senior Tuner
    You could possibly be off by .5-.7 by using the rear o2 sensors if you are doing so on a vehicle equipped with catalytic converters. In this case you want to be in the bung before the CAT, or have one installed on (1) side to do so.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Cell 210-954-4985

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Or disable cat protection when occasionally checking if you are that concerned with it
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Senior Tuner

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jackedupcanyon View Post
    Or disable cat protection when occasionally checking if you are that concerned with it
    This still won't correct the AFR completely? There is atleast 8in.x3in. of honeycomb inside your catalytic converter that will screw up your numbers.

Remember also that this could also cause self destruction of your cats...not recommended on catted rides. It could cause a complete melt down! I know from personal experience. Literally red hot cats! Cooked feet on the interior, sweatin' balls all the way to the dealership for a solution. Had GM not had a warranty on supposed clogged cats for some emissions BS they have to honor I wouldn't have been able to afford the repair. I now have gutted cats due to clogged stock cats being a real issue on our vehicels but please please do not just turn off Cat Over Temp. protect because you can. The warning is clearly stated in the tuning software!
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Cell 210-954-4985

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Tuner
    Thanks for that heads up. I should have stated I have gutted cats. So that should make the rear bung ok?

Tuner
    Yeah, that'll make the rear bung okay.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rnl35thss View Post
    Thanks for that heads up. I should have stated I have gutted cats. So that should make the rear bung ok?
    Hell yes, thats how I roll!
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Cell 210-954-4985

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Tuner
    Thanks guys. Looking to use the NGK AFX, anyone using them?