Thread: 6.2/6L80E Swap Questions

Tuner

6.2/6L80E Swap Questions

I have a customer that has a line on a 2007 Escalade motor complete with 6L80E trans. The setup is going into a '96 Impala SS.

Questions are:

1. Can this transmission work without a BCM? I.E. one of the harness companies make a stand-alone harness. I know there is a TCM in the trans, so I'm hoping it will only need to see the ECM.

2. How would we go about the shifter setup? Most likely going to lose the manual shift capabilities, but I can just tune the regular tables to where I want it. (Assuming it's similar to a G8 setup...) I assume it still has a physical cable setup to get it out of park and into reverse/drive.

3. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    I have a customer that has a line on a 2007 Escalade motor complete with 6L80E trans. The setup is going into a '96 Impala SS.

Questions are:

1. Can this transmission work without a BCM? I.E. one of the harness companies make a stand-alone harness. I know there is a TCM in the trans, so I'm hoping it will only need to see the ECM.

2. How would we go about the shifter setup? Most likely going to lose the manual shift capabilities, but I can just tune the regular tables to where I want it. (Assuming it's similar to a G8 setup...) I assume it still has a physical cable setup to get it out of park and into reverse/drive.

The transmission will work without BCM but you may not be able to command downshifts. The theft systems will give you problems with out a BCM. Linkage can be either cable or a rod.
    tptransmission.com

Potential Tuner
    Check out this link http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...o-does-go.html

Readers digest version... you can use corvette controls for tap up and tap down function. This will be faster than through the bcm also. You can get the wire diagrams from repairprocedures.com, free for 24 hours. Looks like 2 switches and 3 resistors (radio shack stuff). As your looking at the diagram keep in mind that the corvette has a left and a right tutd button, they both do the same thing. I haven't tried it but the guy from the above link has. Alldatadiy.com is cheaper. You could get a subscription for the donor vehicle and do the wire harness yourself if you have the stock one... it's easy. you will have to use hptuners to set the trans to hardwire in the tutd part. And yes it is just a cable to shift into drive and what not.

Tuner
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it a bunch.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post

Questions are:

Talk to John Spears at Speartech. He can provide the right harness and correctly calibrated ECM/TCM.

So with the hard wired tap shift, how ever you place your buttons. The trans will shift on the given command from only the button? Does it still require a VSS input, ETC?