Thread: PE Delay investigation

Tuner

PE Delay investigation

I recently came across a fellow HPT'er who claimed that the Jbody Ecotec ecu does not utilize PE Delay values, and that they are only used on trucks.

I knew for a fact otherwise but decided to prove myself. This may be of useful information to any Jbody owners here. I posted up this information on jbody.org, ecotecforum.com, and decided it could be used here as well.

lets establish the basics:
    the ecotec ecu is an alpha-n fueling setup, whereas it bases its calculations primarily on RPM and TPS inputs. MAP is NOT taken into consideration when calculating fueling. The MAP is used primarily for spark tables, and for zero-throttle conditions (such as idle, and coast-down fueling). The only other feature the MAP is used for is for a multiplier which effects injector pulsewidth. This tab will be investigated in a future MYTH.

There was a lot of problems getting proper fueling to the ecotecs in the past that were boosted (without the reflash) and not many knew why. This was because of what I realize now to be 2 problems:

The first problem was nobody knew it was an alpha-n efi system. This was only realized after HPT gave us our first glimpses into the programming tables. So everyone kept trying to modify the MAP signal, and would do nothing to the fueling but would mess up the ignition advance.. causing even more confusion.

The second problem was nobody knew about the PE delay number on the power enrichment tab. There's been a lot of theorizing how this particular feature works, even people claiming that the number was 'ignored' on cars and only used on trucks.

Well tonight I figured it out with log data for PROOF.

my test vehicle is my daily driver.. .a 2004 ecotec cavalier 5 speed.
    the engine is STOCK except for an rksport intake I salvaged from the skwirl.

MYTH: J-body ecu does not utilize PE Delay feature
    I decided to test this theory.

I used my 2004's narrowband voltage output as a 'power enrichment' detector. When the vehicle goes into power enrichment, the O2 sensor stops switching, and stays at a fixed value because the car is no longer trimming for stoich, and instead shoots for a pre-programmed AFR for maximum power (in the case of the jbody, 13:1 AFR is the target). The further operation of this function is irrelevant to the point of this post, so we'll move on for now.

The ecu on my 04 is untouched, so I did a basic test. PE delay on a stock ecotec ecu is set to 6200rpm.
    I let the car warm up to operating temperature, and simply took it out on the road and mashed the throttle.

take note of O2 mV and commanded AFR when TPS = 100%

notice how the O2 is still switching. Strange. Also, take note that commanded AFR remains at 14.6:1

This time, I decided to take it all the way up past the delay RPM, and continue the pull into the next gear.
    What happens is pretty interesting.. again, take note of the O2 mV and commanded AFR:

another go.. same as above:

as you can see.. once the delay rpm is surpassed, the O2 STOPS switching and then enters PE mode.
    This changes my theory on the system because I always assumed it would only be in PE mode for the last 300rpm (until the rev limiter), then enter back into closed loop until 6200rpm is reached again.

But apparently, the way the system works is that when the TPS threshold is met, and the PE Delay RPM is met, PE is engaged.
    there must be some other variables such as TPS drop thresholds, or something to tell the ecu to go back to closed loop, because as I changed gears the ecu carries PE with it (even tho the TPS and PE Delay settings are lost). There is clearly other settings we do not see here.

To be certain of what I was seeing, I set the PE Delay to 0RPM, flashed the ecu and ran the same tests:

mashing the pedal in a single gear:

taking it through a few gears:

single gear again:

as you can see, with the PE Delay essentially disabled (set to 0 RPM) the O2 mV stops switching, and commanded AFR drops to the calculated PE value the instant the TPS threshold is met.

MYTH BUSTED. The Jbody ECU does, in fact, utilize PE Delay RPM

I have several other tests I will be starting threads about. Hopefully the mods will allow separate topics for separate issues, that way it can be searched individually, and be easily found in the future.

nice info man
    2006 cobalt (no more turbo)
    m62 2.7 pulley, E85, 79lb/hr injectors, 4-2-1 longtube header, airbox mod, stock catback

1998 Trans am 5.3 iron block 317 heads 88mm turbo e85 105lb/hr injectors, twin 255's.... build in progress

2014 wrx mild tune 18psi pump gas

Potential Tuner
    Yep, I claimed PE Delay didn't affect anything but you just knew I was wrong. Actually, I probably am, since I just discovered you were talking about alpha-n. Mine is speed density. I just did some searching around these forums to find answers on PE Delay and posted my findings, I don't really know. I'm just as curious as you are on the matter.

But I did take a look at my own logs on the N-body LD9 Alero running Speed Density. You have an J-body L61 Cavalier running N Alpha. So maybe we're a little different.

My PE enable Delay RPM is set to 3400. My car entered PE at 33% throttle with an RPM of 2550. If you look at the PE Enable TPS vs. RPM table, under the 2400 RPM column, a 32% enable TPS is the data in the cell. (At least on my MP45 tune)

The AFR does ramp down to the target 11.8 in a smooth curve and then remains static at 11.8 once it reaches it, throughout PE. It does this also when I entered PE at 35% throttle at 3478 RPM (meaning, past the PE Delay RPM), started at 14.68 in closed loop then ramped down to 11.8ish.

I can't see your screenshots since I'm at work, though, but mine doesn't do an instant drop like yours does.

Straight from Chris@HPTuners:
    PE Delay is disabled in all car calibrations.

Changing these numbers doesn't affect anything.
    it is only very rarely used on some trucks
    Last edited by [ion] C2; 12-23-2008 at 08:16 AM.

be careful of the context of my quote as it was probably in relation to the LS1 V8.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    That it was, I just figured when you said "all car" calibrations you meant all cars, not just LS1 powered vehicles.

Tuner in Training Alex Richards's Avatar
    I would bet that the Delay RPM function is only used in initially activating PE Mode. From there to continue using PE tables and fueling the VCM looks to the PE enable TPS vs. RPM. Meaning as long as the TPS values stay above those in the table at the specific RPM it remains in PE mode.

This is screenshot from my turbo LN2 Tune...PE Enable RPM is set to 3300 and the rest of the table is as follows.

So, assuming a shift occurs after 3300rpm (for example 6200), The RPM's drop to say 4100 in the next gear, as long as TPS reads ABOVE 37% PE remains enabled in the next gear, as soon as TPS drops below this value, RPM must surpass the PE enable limit and TPS must be above specified value based on RPM to reenter PE mode.

Just thinking out loud PJ, I have not messed with the PE tables in awhile so feel free to test it out and see what happens. Once it gets warmer maybe I'll run some logs too and see. I'd be interested to know if thats what its looking for.

2001 Cavalier, A4, 2.2l OHV, Wiseco 8.85:1 Pistons, Eagle H-Beams, Headwork, SBC Roller Rockers, 5/16" Pushrods. Turboed This off-season...

Tuner in Training
    1st thanks for the real info and not a bunch of guesswork. It would be nice to get the logs so we could look them over in real-time.

Maybe I missed something in the thread but is there a time delay before the PE kicks in below the Delay RPM or does it not kick in at all before this RPM? In my 2005 Caviler 5 speed it is set to 6200 RPM. It does not make since that there would be no PE in my case before 6200 RPM, so logically there must be a time delay.

So I guess my next question is how long is the delay?

Tuner in Training
    1st thanks for the real info and not a bunch of guesswork. It would be nice to get the logs so we could look them over in real-time.

Maybe I missed something in the thread but is there a time delay before the PE kicks in below the Delay RPM or does it not kick in at all before this RPM? In my 2005 Caviler 5 speed it is set to 6200 RPM. It does not make since that there would be no PE in my case before 6200 RPM, so logically there must be a time delay.

So I guess my next question is how long is the delay?