Thread: 99+ PCM Conversion Question

99+ PCM Conversion Question

Hello everyone, I have been reading up and I am a bit confused. I have a 1998 Corvette that I am planing on supercharging. I want to be able to run the 3 Bar Custom OS so I have decided to convert over to a 99 up PCM. I have found all the wiring schematics and have figured out were everything goes, my question is should I have my new PCM flashed via Tech 2 with my vin and stock OS? From what I can tell if I do this I will not be able to use the Custom OS. I know that the OS and Vin must match via GM standards but if I have a 98 OS in a 99 up PCM can I still apply the Custom 3 bar OS and keep my Vin number? What are the exact requirments for the Custom 3 Bar OS, I noticed it states the it will work on most 99+ pcms, what does "most" mean? I am thinking my best option would be to just have the PCM programed with some random 01-02 Corvette OS and Vin and then do the VATS relearn. Does anyone see any probablem with this? Any help on this would be greatly appriciated, there is plenty of F-Body related topics on this but not many for Vettes.
    1998 Corvette M6 one of 215 Amethyst (Medium Pearl Purple) Coupes
    1994 Dodge Stealth R/T 5-speed Red

I have a 98 Corvette which I just replaced the PCM with a newer one (02).
    The HPTuners license is based on PCM serial number not just the VIN number programed into it.
    You cannot flash a 97-98 OS into a 99+ PCM.
    I had to purchase a new HPTuners licence for my new PCM and I just kept the 02 VIN number in it.
    I didn't do a custom 3bar OS but it should work with the newer computer.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    The HPTuners license is based on PCM serial number not just the VIN number programed into it.
    I had to purchase a new HPTuners licence for my new PCM and I just kept the 02 VIN number in it.
    Jeff, wondering if you would be willing to sell your 98 pcm if you still have it. Ive got a buddy trying to finish up a transplant project and hes needing a 98 pcm.
    thanks
    Chris

Chris, the reason why I replaced it was because it failed during a write, was having some battery problems, after that car wouldn't start, HPTuners unable to locate VCM, removed it and car parts place couldn't flash it either. Maybe it can be rebuild, by maybe replacing the flash IC, but it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by srtklr View Post
    Jeff, wondering if you would be willing to sell your 98 pcm if you still have it. Ive got a buddy trying to finish up a transplant project and hes needing a 98 pcm.
    thanks
    Chris

Tuner in Training
    Ah I see. Thanks for the response Jeff. Guess the hunt continues lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Cool, did you have any issues I should know about? It looks straight forward to me.

Quote Originally Posted by srtklr View Post
    thanks
    Chris
    I will sell you mine if I get this newer one up and running.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hawkins View Post
    I will sell you mine if I get this newer one up and running.
    Thanks. Let me know when you've got it out and I'll see if he still needs it. Just shoot me a pm on here.
    Chris

This guy (Ion) can repair/sell PCMs:

http://www.madtuner.com/

I lost a 94' LT1 and he repaired for me.

Good luck!

Senior Tuner
    jeff, I assume you rewired your vehicle. Would you mind explaining the entire process you had to go through, so that others can use the information in the future? That would be very helpful and kind of you.
    Last edited by RWTD; 12-05-2008 at 03:07 AM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)