Thread: horrible part throttle knock

horrible part throttle knock

Hi,
    I've turned off the EGR, which was causing part throttle knock before. Just scanned it again and not only is the knock back, but it's much worse. Does anyone have ANY idea? I don't feel anything hitting, the engine is pretty much locked in place with poly upper mounts and the exhaust isn't loose or leaking.
    1997 Regal GS. SLP headers, CAI, cat back. S1X cam, 1.6 RR's, 3.5" pulley, ported S/C, LS1 valve springs.

Can you export as csv file?

I have a similar problem, can't nail down either. Always heavy part throttle, the knock is worst just as I start to lift the throttle some, almost like the vacuum advance went way high, but yet I have a L67 Supercharged 3800....

I don't know what a csv file is. This isn't during heavy part throttle, it's pretty much during any part throttle.
    1997 Regal GS. SLP headers, CAI, cat back. S1X cam, 1.6 RR's, 3.5" pulley, ported S/C, LS1 valve springs.

export your scanner log to excel....creates a csv file
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Are you hearing audible knock or seeing Knock Retard on the datalog?

i was running kr free for years ,out of the blue i got kr ,,i went over everything to do with the motor ,still had kr ,then i disable my torque management ..and that's where my kr was comeing from the tranny!!!you may have yours disabled allready ,but if not you might try that and c what happens..i still have my torque management on..but now i know thats where the kr is comeing from!
    98 GRAND PRIX GTP ,02 GRAND PRIX GT TURBO A2A IC.

That's an idea. I can't hear the knock, but see crazy knock on the log.

Hmm, I have tried mine with TM on and off, no help. Maybe try it in fixed gear and see. It is off the road right now, someone broke into my car and I have it down to get a new door (they bent the door to break the window, $1600 in damage for a WINDOW!)

I have heard of the torque converter splines causing KR issues. http://www.monodax.com/forums/tunerc...buse-mode.html

This was the post....

" I have seen this before.

Poor Acceleration from a Stop or Detonation in Gear at a Stop

Condition/Concern:
    Customer concern of poor acceleration, detonation or "ping" at idle in drive or reverse, and/or possible DTC P0101, P0106 and/or P0121 set in the PCM. The vehicle will perform properly after attaining a speed of about 30 - 40 mph. The condition may also be described by the customer or the dealer as a hesitation, stall when putting into gear, surge on acceleration (similar to hitting fuel cut or rev limit). The ultimate cause may be a non-holding torque converter stator or damaged stator support shaft within the automatic transmission.
    Note: A torque converter or stator spline concern will not effect engine operation in park or neutral i.e. misfire or rough idle.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    The following checks should be performed in the event that normal engine driveability checks have not resolved the detonation or "ping" at idle in drive or reverse, lack of power from a stop, stall, surge on acceleration and or hesitation complaint.

The IAC counts throttle angle and/or MAP voltage and KPA should be compared to a like vehicle in park and in gear after reaching operating temperature. If the counts and map are high or throttle angle is open excessively in comparison this may be a result of high engine load and a torque converter and or stator support shaft related concern.
    If the above information does not lead to a resolve follow torque converter diagnostics listed below.

The transmission oil cooler outlet line (line to the cooler) should be checked for excessive heat. The Tech II scan tool may be helpful on vehicles equipped with the transmission fluid temperature sensor in the cooler line (mainly front wheel drive). On vehicles that do not have the temperature sensor in the cooler line a temperature probe should be used to check the temperature. The temperature readings should be compared to a like vehicle with the same powertrain option content.

A stall test (brake torque) may point to a damaged torque converter, the stall RPM speed will be lower then a like vehicle. However, poor engine performance will also produce a lower stall speed RPM.

If the torque converter stator or stator support is suspect, the transmission should be removed and THE STATOR SUPPORT SHOULD BE INSPECTED FOR SPLINE DAMAGE. If the stator support splines are damaged the transmission should be repaired and new torque converter installed. If damage is not present on the stator support the concern is either internal to the torque converter stator or an engine performance concern.

I have seen the Stator Support worn to a razor point.
    This was on a truck with an add on Super Charger"

get poly motor mounts,poly mm,s helps with false kr..alot ,one of the best mods i done!!! let us know what you find out!!! good luck
    Last edited by robfromlouisville; 11-21-2008 at 04:21 PM.
    98 GRAND PRIX GTP ,02 GRAND PRIX GT TURBO A2A IC.

Working with a guy to get some nice solid mounts for the 3800's in the Park Ave's, (2000-up) so will find out if that helps my KR problem also.

Should be able to be sold very soon once we get the proto worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by robfromlouisville View Post
    get poly motor mounts,poly mm,s helps with false kr..alot ,one of the best mods i done!!! let us know what you find out!!! good luck

Well your O2 doesnt look very good in relation to your maf so i would recommend starting there if you haven't already.

Advanced Tuner
    what does the car feel like Harry ?should be feeling pretty numb I would think

I have looked at quite a few regal gs scans between mine & my wifes but nothing like that !!

take a look at your timing advance and kr histograms set on max value (+) even when you are not seeing kr it is pulling tons of timing so I dont think its something hitting causing false kr

timing never advances when watching the scan on chart mode the white timing advance line is non existent and you are at low throttle position , cant see it being torque management in that case

you get a real bad batch of fuel ??

I am still learning these ^^ are only my thoughts

edit: doesnt extremely retarded timing cause a lot of heat ?
    Last edited by murphinator; 12-05-2008 at 10:48 PM.