Thread: Hows my scans looking

Hows my scans looking

Got some tuning on my VE table and did a little work on my MAF table. Started off lean. Could someone take a look at this scan and let me know if I'm getting close.

Thanks.
    Dan

http://www.thurs.net/dan/personal/bonnie Objects in mirror are losing!

ok 2 things that stuck out with your scan is the fuel trims are very lean in lower rpms so an increase of fuel in that area shall help bring them into line more, histograms help greatly in plotting where you need to work.
    the ignition advance is heavily in the negatives and should be brought into the positives.
    anyway see how you go, keep plugging away at it and dont forget ya homework, weath of info in here
    all the best, cheers!

I've been working my MAF settings up in the idle range. Wanted to wait for another opinion before I went further. If I'm reading this right my cruise seems to be really good. haven't played with my WOT settings yet. Just trying to go slow and safe here. Thanks
    Dan

i wouldnt go wot running that lean ive blowen sc motor up running it lean..trying to be faster,, but i will never do it anymore ever allways run the 93or 91 gas its better to run a sc motor rich get you trims in line your kr may go away, running lean getting kr it will pop a piston ,,i know i have done it!! high ait temperature is normal for sc roots blower,, hp tuners will save you alot of money knowing what your motor is doing thats just me ,iam new to hpt's myself good luck!!!
    98 GRAND PRIX GTP ,02 GRAND PRIX GT TURBO A2A IC.

I already run 93 for gas. And I just changed my pulley size so KR should be gone now. But still need to work on my tune. I'll have to start making my MAF table a bit richer on the high side.
    Dan

yeah, im not 100% in ways of altering your fueling, maf does change this but i think your VE table should help bring up fueling too, cell by cell u should be able to tweek it, patience n lotta scanning u should get there, once ya trims are happy work on bringin ya ignition advance into the positives to the point before KR, and u should have yaself a different animal again all in small moves, stints round the block and yeah with that u will in time develop a feel for whats right and yeah get really enjoying it!

Was able to hit the PE table a bit today, worked on the VE and MAF tables earlier this week. I'm still a little lean, but getting closer.

Brought narrow band O2 from about 900 to 913 in the WOT area, Wideband O2 went from about 11.4:1 to 11.1:1, KR dropped off a lot, but still some there, should go away with next PE tune, I hope.

You guys are being a great help, thanks
    Dan

have to say looking better, how did she feel on the WOT runs?
    might suggest bringing PE afr up so making it a touch leaner there, low 11 afrs to me seems a tad rich, seein as your supercharged maybe 12.5:1 when goin WOT others may have other suggestions there. crusin around try get it to 14.7:1, but i suggest first things first ya tune ya maf and VE tables before spending much time on PE, helps also in dialing in your ignition timing.
    once ya fuels right start bringing up the ignition timing cause 15 to 35' after Top Dead Centre is just too late, fuel will be wanting to ignite when ya piston is on the downstroke and alot of power will be getting wasted thru the exhaust not to mention could posibly be hammering at the piston-conrod and crankshaft, so bring it up bit by bit so that your targeting the start of ignition when there pressure on the cylinder and is just about to hit TDC by then the peak of fuel ignition is when the cylinder is at TDC, theres no way know this exactly except thru the scanner.
    cheers!

The wideband seems to be out of calibration, so I don't believe it's really that rich. I'm thinking I'm more like 11.8:1 Once I get a chance I'll be working on getting the PE tables dialed in. Yes, got my VE and MAF tables done. Once I have the PE done I'll be working on the timing.
    Dan

I think I have it fairly good now. Not lean anymore. I might be a little rich, need opinions. Had a little blip of KR. Looks to be right when fuel flow starts to increase. I think I may just pull a degree of timing there. I increased my timing by 1* and removed 1* here and there. This is just one more that needs to go. Any last thoughts before I call this seasons tune done?

Dan

id personally lift PE AFR from 10 upto at least 12.5-13afr
    very intrested in having a look at your high-low octane spark tables cause your scanner shots are showing still minus degree figures

No way would you want a boosted engine at 12.5-13.0 AFR! None intercooled, 11.0 -11.5 AFR.

Then try different PE settings on the dyno to find the best power.
    Also install a heat range or two colder spark plug.

The 1997 reports spark timing as negative, you need to set up a custom pid
    to display positive timing values.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 11-13-2008 at 12:55 PM.

cheers for correcting me on this Russ!
    just a bit hard to get the full story over this side of the planet - so forgive me there danthurs, yeah doesnt hurt for 2nd-3rd... opinions
    Last edited by driftnpow; 11-13-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Not a problem at all. Right now I'm way rich. My wideband was out of calibration. Now it's correct and I'm pushing 10.4:1 at WOT, I want about 11.5:1 Lesson learned, calibrate before tuning.
    Dan

so hows Bonnie feelin these days? gotta be goin the clappas eh?

I'm happy, it's running smoother and shifting a bit smoother as well. The whole feel is much nicer.
    Dan

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by danthurs View Post
    I'm happy, it's running smoother and shifting a bit smoother as well. The whole feel is much nicer.
    I feel good about my garage from looking at your page. You seem to have the same tool spread as me...even the same tire pressure gauge, LOL!

Do you have a current scan, and can you tell me about your mods? Have you made any changes to your MAF, or just the stuff on your page?
    2003 Chevrolet Malibu, 180 degree stat, K&N, modified airbox, 56mm TB, custom tune (ongoing)

This is the scan I did this morning. I made a few tweeks to the MAF table. I had made changes but ended up putting them back because my wide band was out of calibration.

The mods I'm running is a cold air intake, 3.3" pulley, shorter belt, #105 valve springs, oil restricted push rods, 1.9:1 HS roller rockers, stainless TOG headers, 3" down pipe, 3" magnaflow cat,
    Dan

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by danthurs View Post
    This is the scan I did this morning. I made a few tweeks to the MAF table. I had made changes but ended up putting them back because my wide band was out of calibration.

The mods I'm running is a cold air intake, 3.3" pulley, shorter belt, #105 valve springs, oil restricted push rods, 1.9:1 HS roller rockers, stainless TOG headers, 3" down pipe, 3" magnaflow cat,
    Your screenshots are fascinating...can you send me the log file? So you haven't made any MAF changes, just the CAI (of course that is usually enough to make a big difference).
    2003 Chevrolet Malibu, 180 degree stat, K&N, modified airbox, 56mm TB, custom tune (ongoing)

Here's my latest scan
    Dan