Thread: ? about baseline VVT VE tuning

Tuner in Training

? about baseline VVT VE tuning

First I am new to this so I may post some really whacked out ideas. If so let me know.

What I have been looking at doing is using the GM VE parameter in a histogram of RPM vs kPa in order to get a base line LS2 VE Table.

Then after gathering the baseline data and hand smoothing it a little bit against a non VVT table using Bluecat software (Thanks Bluecat!!!) to generate the new equations while zeroing out the cam parameters of the equation.

Hopefully this would effectively account for the cam effect on the VE table and let me be able to tune this beast in a little bit better prior to the pending upgrade availability of the new custom OS.

How off base am I?

You need to know cam position to tune the VE properly as the VE tables refer to cam position.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Ok ... so where can I find the cam position PID or Sensor ... am I just missing it because I haven't seen it ... I have already sent through the request for the new custom OS beta. Is there any other public beta that gives me the cam position?

Thanks for the input!

Not sure it's being reported at this time. I've never seen the PID in action.

Tuner in Training
    Can someone chime in as to the way the cam adjusts its' position. Is it load based or is it purely X angle @ Y RPM.

If it were a fixed position based on RPM I should be able to get my VE tuned in reasonably well with all the cam angle settings @ 0.

But if it is load based then EC may be correct in being unable to tune the VE without the E38 2.5Bar OS.

All of this is on an '08 6.2L w/VVT and a TVS1900 SC @ 6PSI.

The cam position is going to be based on load and RPM. In fact it may also have a time factor in there as well. EG. Cruising, after a few seconds retard the cam x degrees to improve fuel economy.

Tuner in Training
    Ugh ... I need that new OS it sounds like ... the truck has been running great and I think it may even "feel" a little stronger but that is subjective after all of the time I have spent on it. I did up the area in the higher RPM ranges based on what my maf calculations were just to be safe. Even if I had the cam angle it would be impossible to properly tune the higher kPa area with the stock sensor. Time to dial in the MAF and wait on the OS.

Not sure the new OS will help you that much unless your truck is supercharged or something of the sort since you still have VVT. If the cam PID's are available now (haven't had a VVT vehicle to look at lately) you can tune the VE constants.

It would be nice to have the cam positioning variables/tables as well.

Tuner in Training
    At this point if I just had a PID to know what the cam angle is I could tune around it. The new E38 OS has (according to the thread for it) VVT support with the tables etc. so that is going to be pretty much the only way to go.