Thread: Security light

Tuner in Training

Security light

I have had an issue for sometime now with my security light coming on and still being able to start the car?? the car would run for 5 to 30 mins and then quit giving me the start for 5 seconds then quit?? I finally flashed a stock program to the pcm and the car would restart no probs other than the security light was still flashing Anyone help with this???

Darren

Advanced Tuner
    It would be helpful if we knew what kind of car it was.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Tuner in Training
    sorry its a 2000 grand prix gtp

D

Tuner in Training
    these are the codes I get that I cant get rid of
    Last edited by footman; 11-10-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you tried the security relearn procedure?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Tuner in Training
    With the key yes and it goes away then comes back this is very weird everyone says the car should not run with the security light flashing??

I tried a new pcm and got the same codes and same flashing light
    the motor was swapped for rebuilt as well as the tranny Im not sure if this would have any affect on the security light flashing and still being able to drive the car

thanks for the help

D

Advanced Tuner
    So with the stock bin it works but the security light flashes. Did you do the security relearn on that to see if the light goes away? What bin were you using that causes it to run and then stop? Was it your modified stock bin or something else?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Tuner in Training
    I originally had the modded bin the car had been sitting for 9 months as the motor was being rebuilt and when I went to start it it wouldnt run?? So I flashed a stock 98 bin back on and it started right away continued to run only the engine light flashs for about 10 mins and then dissappears?????

D

Potential Tuner

Having same problem on 2002 Grand Prix

I'm also having a similiar problem with my 2002 Grand Prix GTP. When I did my first tune and programmed it to the vehicle, the vehicle starts and runs, but the security light flashes for the first 10 min. of driving then the light shuts off. This is with the following setting programmed
    System --> General --> Security --> VATS = PWM.

In order to try the factory 30 min relearn procedure (which isn't suppost to be needed on these vehicles according to Mitchell On Demand docs) I set the setting listed above to Serial to cause the vehicle to start run for a few sec and die. In this mode I have made numerous attempts to perform the relearn procedure, but nothing works.

I have also tried programming the stoc bin file back into the car. It will run and drive fine, but the security light still flashes for the first ten min.

I'm out of things to try.
    What am I doing wrong?
    What else can I try?

Thanks,
    Tim Frese

Potential Tuner
    Any update on this? I have the exact same problem with a 2001 Grand Prix GTP. Security light flashes for 10 minutes then shuts off. Is there a fix?

<bump>

Quote Originally Posted by tfrese View Post
    I'm also having a similiar problem with my 2002 Grand Prix GTP. When I did my first tune and programmed it to the vehicle, the vehicle starts and runs, but the security light flashes for the first 10 min. of driving then the light shuts off. This is with the following setting programmed
    System --> General --> Security --> VATS = PWM.

In order to try the factory 30 min relearn procedure (which isn't suppost to be needed on these vehicles according to Mitchell On Demand docs) I set the setting listed above to Serial to cause the vehicle to start run for a few sec and die. In this mode I have made numerous attempts to perform the relearn procedure, but nothing works.

I have also tried programming the stoc bin file back into the car. It will run and drive fine, but the security light still flashes for the first ten min.

I'm out of things to try.
    What am I doing wrong?
    What else can I try?

Thanks,
    Tim Frese

Advanced Tuner
    just incase any of you guys posting dont have the security relearn procedure here is a copy & paste from zzp's site:

10. How do I perform a security relearn?

1. Disconnect battery
    2. Install new computer
    3. Reconnect battery
    4. Put emergency brake on to disable daytime running lights (this step is required!)
    5. Make sure all doors trunk and hood are closed leave driver window down and reach in threw window
    6. Try to start. If it doesn't start, leave the key in the on position for 10 min on 97-03 cars and 15 min for 04 and newer cars. The security light should turn off after this amount of time.
    7. Turn off ignition for 3 seconds
    8. Try and start the car. It probably won't start. Repeat step 5 two more times.
    9. If this doesn't work disconnect battery for 5 seconds and then try and start the car.

If that doesnt work, try this one:

1. Disconnect battery for 10 sec.
    2. Reconnect battery
    3. Turn key to ON position
    4. Do not try to start vehicle, just quickly click to RUN position to engage security light
    5. Let vehicle sit with key ON for 35 min.
    6. Attempt to crank vehicle. Once vehicle is running, the security light may still be on
    7. If security light is still on, turn key to OFF position for 5 sec.
    8. Turn key to ON position and security light should turn off
    9. Start vehicle and enjoy new PCM
    Notes: If your car starts at any time and stays running, you are done. If your car starts and dies, try step 9. If it dies after 2 seconds after you have done these steps, you either have a bad FP resistor or the security setting in your PCM is wrong and it will need an update. Security relearn procedure will not work with the valet key!

Monte Carlo Notes:

On some 2000 and up Monte Carlos, the ABS light will illuminate after the install of our PCM. It will disappear with normal driving. During this time traction control will be disabled.
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Advanced Tuner
    also if your pass lock sensor is bad you can bypass it with a 2.2K ohm resister,, just snip the yellow and black wires at the bcm or pass lock sensor and solder in the 2.2k ohm resister,, then do your 10 min re-learn procedure and never worry about pass lock codes again
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Potential Tuner

97 camaro

I have a 97 camaro that first would not start at all with security light on the dash. It has the pass lock key. talked to a mechanic i know at chevy dealer and he had me by pass the theft deterrent relay by jumping the brown wire to the purple wire. The car now starts and dies after 3 seconds or so, security light still on dash. Anyone have ideas of what to do next?

Thanks

Brian

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eplabri View Post
    I have a 97 camaro that first would not start at all with security light on the dash. It has the pass lock key. talked to a mechanic i know at chevy dealer and he had me by pass the theft deterrent relay by jumping the brown wire to the purple wire. The car now starts and dies after 3 seconds or so, security light still on dash. Anyone have ideas of what to do next?

Thanks

Brian
    all your wire jump did was allow the starter to crank the engine,, you didnt disable vats,
    turn the vats off in your tune,, or measure the resistance of the pellet in your key, then put the same resistor value, cut and splice into the 2 small white wires (in an orange insulation) under the dash drivers side
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HPRanch View Post
    Any update on this? I have the exact same problem with a 2001 Grand Prix GTP. Security light flashes for 10 minutes then shuts off. Is there a fix?

<bump>

set vats to "0", then un-check all vats codes and set them to no error report,,, done a few of these, they willl start right up after this

My 2000 GTP was doing the same thing. The car would crank and run fine, but the SECURITY light flashed for 10 minutes of driving, then it would go off.

To fix it, put key in ignition and turn on, but do not start. SECURITY will flash for 10 minutes, and then go off. Turn key off for 30 seconds, then repeat the procedure again. I repeated this procedure 3 times, and it worked for me. This procedure allows the computer to relearn your key. I checked by trying another key, and SECURITY flashes. So I only use the RELEARNED key now.
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors