Thread: Wideband hooked up to A/C pressure switch

Advanced Tuner

Wideband hooked up to A/C pressure switch

I think everybody that has read up on hooking up there WB to there A/C pressure switch knows that "maybe" they should NOT use there A/C while the switch is unplugged.

I can tell you 1000% do NOT use the A/C and I found this out by not using the A/C, but the Heat!!! The car will still use the compressor even if you have the temperature set to 90* and you think you are using the heater, until you press the little button that looks like a snow flake with the line thru it to turn of A/C mode.

I of course know this because I let out about 1/3 of my A/C refrigerant/oil the other night while running the heat, was sitting in a drive thru line and all of a sudden I here a really loud hising noise and yep it was the A/C line.

Just thought I would share that so no one else does this to themselves.
    Last edited by ktoonsez; 10-16-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Giving this a bump back to the top, just to make sure more people get to read it.

I've done this before (let out some freon through the pop-off valve). Really it indicates that you have too much freon in the system if the over-pressure switch is kicking in. The '05 vettes were overfilled from the factory. Ever since it pfffft'ed some out it works better.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    I have heard of that on those years, mine is an '08, think they fixed the over-fill problem. Unfortunately it is not working to good now, it let too much out. If there is anyone out there with an '08 could you add A/C pressure to your table and tell me what the voltage reads when the A/C is on full blast. Mine is reading 2.2 volts or so, looks like I lost somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2.

The pressure will vary depending on ambient temp and humidity. Best bet is to have it evacuated and filled to spec.
    Bill Winters

Advanced Tuner
    Yep, that is my plan, I was just curious as to how much leaked, have to wait another week or so till my shop gets the hose to fill it.

P.S. Glad you found your problem on your "missing after prolonged..." post. Wish I could get my misfires to disappear too.
    Last edited by ktoonsez; 10-20-2008 at 01:05 AM.

[QUOTE=ktoonsez;147880]
    P.S. Glad you found your problem on your "missing after prolonged..." post. QUOTE]
    Fukin' A me too. I was about to start a thread called "Blown C6 for sale cheap".
    Bill Winters

This is why I haven't thrown my WB in yet, it is finally cooling down enough where I could actually tune without having a heat stroke.

Really pull the wire off the compressor clutch (or remove the compressor belt if possible) and 'flat line' the AC fan tables. Flat line the AC fan tables for tuning no matter the choice you make. I would recommend 100% fan if you leave the compressor wire on but it is not safe. (Really pull the compressor clutch wire.) You may need to figure out a dummy resister or remove the A/C belt if a body code gets thrown.

The AC not working will cause the engine to speed up when it expects the compressor load and does not get it. Keep this in mind while tuning -aka climate controls to off after weird results.

Further the AC pressure sensor (it is a sensor not a 'switch') is used for the amount of fan needed. Overheating of the AC system can result without this sensor due to no fan. Along with overheating the pressure can build to unsafe levels due to high condenser temperature with the proper AC charge: popping the safety valve. A system slightly low on freon may deliver colder AC air. Look up black death for compressors and you will find that non-working fans are the #1 cause for this expensive total AC destruction.

The climate controls dumb down the status indicators for you. Recurclation mode will kick in the AC compressor... The AC compressor being used in not predictable with the button like many vehicles in the past were.

Flatline of the AC fans is from watching a log and the Fan % going all over the place... You know who you are.
    Last edited by WarWagon; 10-26-2008 at 02:41 PM.