Thread: IPC Programming

Potential Tuner

IPC Programming

I have a 2005 Impala Base trim that I picked up used. Apparently the base trim didn't offer an IPC that has a tachometer. Being an enthusiast I just simply went to a salvage yard and found a cluster that had a tachometer. I went to my local dealer and had them install it. In doing so I asked if they could program the mileage to match the mileage my vehicle. When the advisor came back he said the tech would program it as if it were new.

Now to my knowledge, that includes programming the mileage and engine hours (if applicable), So I said ok. As I am pulling out, right after their closing hours, I check the milage... Its about 10k off what my mileage should be. I have contacted every dealer in my area, and none will program it, regardless of the fact I have receipt of the change out, and reset the trip mileage as I was pulling out of the dealer, so I have a correct record of the miles I have put on since.

Due to liability, I am sure that since the dealer did not do it when I had it in, there is no "official" record of the mileage since I left the premises and run into too many legal issues with them programming it.

With that in mind I am turning to the after market. I am trying to find a solution that will allow me to increase my mileage without taking the IPC out. I am on a tight budget and have only managed to come up with $300 to get it done. I can in the near future come up with more, however, can't exceed $600. Do you know of any hardware/software solution that will give me the ability to do it?

I was looking at HP Tuners MVPI suite, as it is the cheapest solution I have found so far, but am not sure it will allow me to change the mileage.

I am willing to learn what ever is necessary and would be extremely grateful for a little more direction than what my days of googling has brought me.

HPT does not allow you to reset the odometer. There are programs out there that do this if you google. They are on the expensive side. The cheapest thing for you to do is remove the odometer readout from each gauge cluster and swap them.

Advanced Tuner
    Besides... all publically available tuners tune the PCM... the mileage and additional info is in the BCM.

Since it doesn't matter what your odometer says, and you still have the original cluster AND a receipt, who cares what the new cluster reads? The proper mileage will always be accurate in the BCM and dealers and what not will be able to read this and verify if there is a LEGAL need to do so. In all other cases, it makes no difference.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

Tuner in Training
    Go to http://www.naioa.com/

One of the owners, bbengineer, does cluster work for the Impala/Monte Carlo, which stores that info. I had him do mine on two occasions (he lives local to me). The first time I had the 6 gauge cluster added with LED upgrades and the correct mileage, and then I also had the silver gauge faces added. If you have a 3.8L base, you can go with the 6 gauge, but the oil pressure will not work if you plug that into a 3.4L (will be a dead gauge). The 4 gauge cluster, which is what I'm guessing you have, will be 100%. The link in my sig is to the garage page on there, which you can see the pictures of mine.

He has you fill out a waiver, stating the mileage you want and what your car will be at when you swap it (figure how much mileage you will add in the time it is out, maybe a little more, and then swap when the two match). Very good guy, and does great work. Stands behind his work, too. Here is his site...

http://www.bbengineer.com/

Dealers have to send clusters out to be reprogrammed, as well. My mother works at a Chevy dealer, which I wanted to have done by picking up a new one…