Thread: NGK AFX + NTK sensor questions

NGK AFX + NTK sensor questions

Does the NTK offer narrowband functionality? I.e. can I replace one of my narrowband sensors with the NTK sensor, and have my narrowband readings function normally while gathering wideband data?

If the NTK sensor does function as narrowband sensor, which stock narrowband sensor should I swap out for the NTK sensor?

Is it considered "bad" to continually use a NTK sensor as a narrowband replacement? If it is considered "bad", how many miles can the NTK sensor be safely used as a narrowband? I.e. after tuning, how soon should the NTK sensor be swapped for the stock o2 sensor?

Doesn't work so well from my experience. If you don't want to put a bung in the pipe, put the car in Open Loop and tune away...
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Doesn't work so well from my experience. If you don't want to put a bung in the pipe, put the car in Open Loop and tune away...
    Good point.

Would I be better off just putting in a bung? How much does an average exhaust shop charge for putting one in? I have the LG Pro headers if that helps any.

Usually $25-$50 for a bung installed. DO NOT pay over $50 though that's a rip off.

When you are finished using the wideband sensor is it typically removed? Or is it OK to leave it in there?

You *can* leave it in there but most usually remove it so they don't go through sensors rapidly.

Tuner
    I have one of the original NGK AFX sensors in one of my cars and its got about 16k miles on it, I never run the engine with it powered off, I figured as long as the heater element is on, it should last. So far so good.
    Best 60' = 1.716
    Best ET = 12.186
    Best MPH = 112.98

That is exactly the type of detail I needed to know! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PDXGTP
    I have one of the original NGK AFX sensors in one of my cars and its got about 16k miles on it, I never run the engine with it powered off, I figured as long as the heater element is on, it should last. So far so good.
    Yep, under those circumstances they should last a long time.