Thread: Canyon/Colorado Tuning Resurrection

Canyon/Colorado Tuning Resurrection

Have read the "Tuning Multiple VE tables" thread (http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6329) SEVERAL times and have studied and compared multiple stock tunes and compared them to the modified Canyon/Colorado tunes in the Tune Repository. One thing that is still perplexing me is the cam settings under Engine/Airflow/General Airflow section. My truck came with 0,10,15,20,25 (min to max) settings. It appears that most of the stock tunes had the same 0,10,15,20,25 factory settings but maybe a few did not??? Did some of these trucks come with 0,9,12,16,25 factory settings? The Histogram Repository for these trucks were setup using these alternate settings (0,9,12,16,25). Can only think that these settings (if modified) were dialed back to in attempts to shift the power band up to the top end of the rpm scale while sacrificing the lower and mid range. Is this a correct assumption? I am on the other end of the scale with a jacked up 4wd truck. Top end speed does not interest me as much as lower end power and pickup. Truck will eventually get up to top end speed when I need it. It just does not need to be fast. Not racing anyone (at least not where I will need the top end range) .

Changed the cam settings (0,9,12,16,25) a few days ago. Truck seems to be driving fine but appears to ride with higher manifold pressure. Also completely removed the torque management but think I am going to put it back in and just start slowly decreasing it. After thinking about it that also seems to be a racing tactic that I do not need in my truck. Have had the truck in SD Open Loop Mode (or so I think) for the last few days. With the modified cam settings and the feedback from the VE - Cam histograms (many cells appear to be maxing out at 8), it seems like the VE tables are extremely far off. Have been scanning and modifying the VE tables several times daily but still getting most cells maxing out at 8. Is this expected to take several days because of the cam setting changes? Are these cam settings for top end power? Am I chasing my tail?

SD Open Loop Mode settings:
    Engine - Fuel Control - Fuel Cutoff - Deceleration Fuel Cutoff DFCO Enable Normal
    1. Enable temp = 493
    2. Enbable RPM = 7500
    3. Enable Speed = ALL 158
    4. Enable TPS = ALL O

Engine - Fuel Control - OL & CL - Open Loop
    5. Gas (Gear) = ALL 1
    6. Gas (P/N) = ALL 1

Engine - Fuel Control - OL & CL - Closed Loop Closed Loop Enable
    7. ECT vs. Startup ECT = ALL 306
    8. O2 Readiness ECT = ALL 493

Engine - Fuel Control - OL & CL - Long Term Fuel Trims Lift Enable
    9. Min ECT = 493
    10. Max ECT = -40

Engine - Fuel Control - Power Enrich - Power Enrichment
    11. EQ Ratio vs. RPM = ALL 1.0

Engine - Fuel Control - COT, Lean Cruise - CAT Over Temp Protection
    12. COT = Disabled
    13. Max Enrichment = 1.0

Engine - Spark Control - Spark Advance - Main Spark Advance
    14. Copy low octane over to high octane - Tuning on low octane

Engine Diagnostics - Airflow - MAF Sensor
    15. MAF Fail High = 0

Engine Diagnostics - DTCs
    16. P0101, P0102, P0103 = 1 - MIL on First Error

Does this look right? Tried to disable all fuel corrections but it does not seem like the Long Term Fuel Trims Lift is disabling. Am I doing something wrong? Trying to dial in for low end power and hopefully keep the foot of the pedal for some additional MPG. Have not started on the transmission yet.

Thank you.
    Last edited by jackedupcanyon; 09-16-2008 at 08:47 AM.
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

OK. Doing more reading and research, found another thread "Colorado I5's "Cam-degrees" threshold values" http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7535 which touches on the same subject. As referenced in this other post, the MAP does appear to follow the cam to a certain point and changing the threshold values provides a different "feeling" in which I agree. Reset the threshold values back to the factory settings for the drive in this morning and would agree with what is stated in the referneced thread above in general. Only hit 3 of the 5 tables this morning versus the 4 tables I previously was hitting based on the 0,9,12,16,21 settings. Have not tried to adjust the cam thresholds in the other direction yet but will probably give it a shot. Sounds like it would make it worse and potentially only hit 2 tables or have very narrow low, mid, high and max tables depending on how it is distributed.

Has anyone ever hit the Max VE table? Does it make since to adjust the thresholds in attempts to hit all 5 tables while providing tighter and more accurate tables? Yes it will be tons of work and very time consuming but will it (could it) be better in the end? It seems so.

Anyone shed any additional light on the cam thresholds or the SD open loop settings and the Long Term Fuel Trims Lift not disabling?

Thank you.
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Quote Originally Posted by jackedupcanyon View Post
    Have read the "Tuning Multiple VE tables" thread (http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6329) SEVERAL times and have studied and compared multiple stock tunes and compared them to the modified Canyon/Colorado tunes in the Tune Repository. One thing that is still perplexing me is the cam settings under Engine/Airflow/General Airflow section. My truck came with 0,10,15,20,25 (min to max) settings. It appears that most of the stock tunes had the same 0,10,15,20,25 factory settings but maybe a few did not??? Did some of these trucks come with 0,9,12,16,25 factory settings? The Histogram Repository for these trucks were setup using these alternate settings (0,9,12,16,25). Can only think that these settings (if modified) were dialed back to in attempts to shift the power band up to the top end of the rpm scale while sacrificing the lower and mid range. Is this a correct assumption? I am on the other end of the scale with a jacked up 4wd truck. Top end speed does not interest me as much as lower end power and pickup. Truck will eventually get up to top end speed when I need it. It just does not need to be fast. Not racing anyone (at least not where I will need the top end range) .

Changed the cam settings (0,9,12,16,25) a few days ago. Truck seems to be driving fine but appears to ride with higher manifold pressure. Also completely removed the torque management but think I am going to put it back in and just start slowly decreasing it. After thinking about it that also seems to be a racing tactic that I do not need in my truck. Have had the truck in SD Open Loop Mode (or so I think) for the last few days. With the modified cam settings and the feedback from the VE - Cam histograms (many cells appear to be maxing out at 8), it seems like the VE tables are extremely far off. Have been scanning and modifying the VE tables several times daily but still getting most cells maxing out at 8. Is this expected to take several days because of the cam setting changes? Are these cam settings for top end power? Am I chasing my tail?

SD Open Loop Mode settings:
    Engine - Fuel Control - Fuel Cutoff - Deceleration Fuel Cutoff DFCO Enable Normal
    1. Enable temp = 493
    2. Enbable RPM = 7500
    3. Enable Speed = ALL 158
    4. Enable TPS = ALL O

Engine - Fuel Control - OL & CL - Open Loop
    5. Gas (Gear) = ALL 1
    6. Gas (P/N) = ALL 1

Engine - Fuel Control - OL & CL - Closed Loop Closed Loop Enable
    7. ECT vs. Startup ECT = ALL 306
    8. O2 Readiness ECT = ALL 493

Engine - Fuel Control - OL & CL - Long Term Fuel Trims Lift Enable
    9. Min ECT = 493
    10. Max ECT = -40

Engine - Fuel Control - Power Enrich - Power Enrichment
    11. EQ Ratio vs. RPM = ALL 1.0

Engine - Fuel Control - COT, Lean Cruise - CAT Over Temp Protection
    12. COT = Disabled
    13. Max Enrichment = 1.0

Engine - Spark Control - Spark Advance - Main Spark Advance
    14. Copy low octane over to high octane - Tuning on low octane

Engine Diagnostics - Airflow - MAF Sensor
    15. MAF Fail High = 0

Engine Diagnostics - DTCs
    16. P0101, P0102, P0103 = 1 - MIL on First Error

Does this look right? Tried to disable all fuel corrections but it does not seem like the Long Term Fuel Trims Lift is disabling. Am I doing something wrong? Trying to dial in for low end power and hopefully keep the foot of the pedal for some additional MPG. Have not started on the transmission yet.

Thank you.
    Were you successfully able to put your truck into SD mode using those steps in your tune file?

Yes it worked but the LTFTs did not seem to completely disable in OL. Also found out trying just about anything without a wideband is a waste of time. Was about the get the MAF dialed in a little closer but a WB is still needed for better accuracy and WOT tuning. You can tune based on LTFTs but you will to keep them enabled, reset your fuel trims every time you make changes and give the truck time to relearn the changes you made. Talked with many of the first tuners about the cam thresholds all of which kept theirs at the factory settings so I ended up keeping mine there also.
    Steve

Also check out this thread on engine modes: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8994
    Steve

Thanks for the Info
    2007 Colorado 2.9L I4 5 speed

Tuner in Training
    subscribed
    2022 Chevrolet Silverado RST 5.3L

I adjusted my cam values last night to 0/3/8/13/18/, and was able to hit Max cam, and all 5 tables. Going to do some VE tuning to see what happens- felt kind of lazy under heavy throttle from a roll.
    Hawk