Thread: Looking for advice on my PD starter tune

Looking for advice on my PD starter tune

This the base tune I've created to go with a Whipple I'll be putting on my truck soon. If you see anything concerning let me know. I tried to stay pretty conservative with everything, but I've never made a 2 bar tune before. I did look thru the repository but couldn't find anything close to my setup.

This is for a 5.7 l31 with a ramjet cam, 1.6L Whipple supercharger, and 48lb injectors.

"Revision 10" is the current tune on it, nothing major done to it besides fueling and idle spark. Stock main timing tables. The fueling is messed up at the top of the VE and MAF table due to running out of injector.

"2 bar" is the tune for the supercharger.

Changes made to "2 bar" tune from "Revision 10":
    * Calibrated for 2 bar MAP sensor
    * Reverted to stock MAF table
    * Extended VE table, smoothed out the "running out of fuel" spot, bumped entire table up by 5% for good measure
    * Adjusted for bigger injectors
    * Set up conservative power enrichment for boost (most worried about this part of the tune)
    * Adjusted main and idle spark tables

Plus some adjustments that don't apply to the 2 bar stuff

This is my first post on here so let me know if I left out any pertinent information. Thanks in advance!

~Alex
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by awest623; 06-19-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Bump

bumpity bump

Can't view the 2 bar tune, says it's part of a remote tuning network.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Can't view the 2 bar tune, says it's part of a remote tuning network.
    Hmm. Musta clicked that by accident. Fixed now

What injectors are they?

More than just the flow rate should be changed. Most injectors with data will have new min injector pulse, short pulse adder and offset vs volts data to put into the calibration.

Which part number 2 bar MAP did you get? Just wanting to make sure the linear and offset data is correct.

The VE is way too fat with those size injectors. I'm sure you'll see that quickly when you start VE tuning with the MAF disabled.

The PE settings will be something you have to watch in the logs. It may be set to "quick" to where it enters PE/BE too soon even at part throttle where it doesn't need to be wasting the extra fuel. It may be something where doing like 95 kpa for PE and 110kpa is BE is better and raising the pedal enable up a touch so you don't get into it just pulling away from a stop light.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

So for the injectors: You probably already know this but you can only get bigger l31 injectors from wynjammer. It's those pesky mini injectors that are mounted inside the manifold. Idk if they machine the stock injectors out or what, but this is all the data I have to go off for them:
    20200428_150219 (1).jpg

Don't have the sensor in yet, I'm kinda stuck in Korea for the moment. But I'll be running an ACDelco 213-1631.

As for the VE, is it just too fat in the upper half or the whole thing? I was under the impression that if I put in the "exact" right flow data for the injectors, the original half would be almost spot on.

For PE/BE, I'll definitely keep an eye on that. Do the actual "full enrichment" values look ok? Like I said before I've never messed with boost so I'm kinda shooting in the dark on those numbers. If my math is right it should come out to 11.5 AFR at full tilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1998 GMC K1500 Z71
    * L31 350 Vortec
    * AUS 43lb injectors
    * Comp 08-410-8 with 1.6 rockers
    * P59 swap
    * Whipple supercharger
    * JBA headers
    * AFR 190cc heads
    * NV4500 swapped
    * Cal-Trac traction bars
    * 1" blocks, 265/70r17 BF Goodrich KO2s, 17X8.5 ALPHAEQUIPT COMMAND LT

I don't know much about those injectors to be honest. I wasn't sure if you switched to the LS style injectors with the setup or not. Changing the flow rate may be all you can do.

Must be a side mount whipple?

The MAP data is correct for that sensor.

The VE is pretty fat above 100kpa. I would probably have only added 10-15% for starter and it likely may not have needed that. Even if the flow rate is correct the size of the injector, it's still more than double the factory size. So it won't require the same VE "value" to spray the right amount of fuel needed. That's just a simple way of saying it. A crude example is taking a LS and putting a turbo on it. With the factory 25lb/hr injectors the VE shows numbers in the 80-90's at high cylinder airmass/rpm. Now those get switched to 80lb/hr injectors and the VE numbers drop down into the 60's to 70's to provide the needed amount of fuel.

Thinking thru what your said. Even though I set up the injector flow rates, they're so big that they'll still provide more fuel than the stock ones at the same ve value?

How's this one look?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1998 GMC K1500 Z71
    * L31 350 Vortec
    * AUS 43lb injectors
    * Comp 08-410-8 with 1.6 rockers
    * P59 swap
    * Whipple supercharger
    * JBA headers
    * AFR 190cc heads
    * NV4500 swapped
    * Cal-Trac traction bars
    * 1" blocks, 265/70r17 BF Goodrich KO2s, 17X8.5 ALPHAEQUIPT COMMAND LT

That's better. The tune you have is a good starting point. It's just matter of starting the engine and driving it to see where the real world changes need to be made.

Absolutely. I appreciate the help man. Can't wait to put the parts on a try it out.