Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOD deactivated yes or no

DOD deactivated yes or no

Anybody have any ideas pro/con weather i should deactivate the DOD on my 2008 GT G8?

I know this will do nothing in the hp arena, but will definatly help in the delay when i romp on it from doing 55......

Any inputs are welcome. Thanks.

Potential Tuner
    Can't you just turn the delay down closer to zero?

I guess for the fuel economy, I would leave it active, but I know some people don't care to much about that.

Well the reason i ask is that I noticed that the 08 corvette has it as well but it's deactivated and the corvette gets about the same fuel milage from it's 6.2L as the g8 gets in it's 6.L. I suppose if i keep my foot out of it, i can obtain the same milage.

I'll do a test with it on, then off and see what i get.

Tuner in Training
    ok so which would be better DOD or DFCO? or both?

Won't tell you i know the differance....what is DFCo??

Quote Originally Posted by Zim
    Well the reason i ask is that I noticed that the 08 corvette has it as well but it's deactivated and the corvette gets about the same fuel milage from it's 6.2L as the g8 gets in it's 6.L. I suppose if i keep my foot out of it, i can obtain the same milage.

I'll do a test with it on, then off and see what i get.
    Make sure the vehicle actually has it. I know the TBSS's have AFM in the tune but the motor does not actually have it.

Tuner in Training
    Decel fuel cutoff. when you lift off the throttle under certin perameters the pcm will shut off the injectors during a coasting situation. a bit different than DOD but it seems it would be benifitial to aid in mileage. if you could use it in conjunction with DOD I would think you could really up your mileage.

Ah, ok i understand the theory now. unfortunatly my main objective was to squeeze a few extra hp and firm up the shifts....damn the fuel mileage! lol

No, just kidding about the mileage..i know i can't have the hp and fuel mileage.

I must say that this is my 3rd day with DOD disabled and i am very pleased with the performace and smoothness from the engine. Gone is the dreaded drone from the aftermarket exhaust and no more choppy idle at a stop light. Crusing at 55 and punching it there is no delay...she drops a few gears and takes off like a rocket!

i think the weight and aero difference between a vette and a G8 might have something to do with the fuel mileage difference
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Just did a tune a few weeks ago on an 08 GMC Sierra and he had me turn off DOD in the tune and he has reported to me that his mileage is actually better now and he said that the truck just runs smoother and stronger in general.
    Last edited by KLUG'S SS; 09-03-2008 at 09:58 AM.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Senior Tuner
    Every tune I have done seems to get about 2-4 MPG better than stock, with better power, which was the only goal to start with.

DOD only works with the DOD engine setup, which includes oil passages to solenoids that control lifters. The lifters they use I think are not suited to high RPM use, hence the performance engines do not have it.

Good info, thanks to all....appriciate it.
    I agree, i am noticing better performace in general...engine running smoother and quieter...with a much better throttle response from 55 on up when cruiseing.....I'm sure that's all due to the DOD not coming on and the engine doesn't have to fire up the dead 4 cyls , saving those 30 secs.....

For now i shall leave it off....thanks again....

I would like to firm up my up shifts...any suggestions where to start..??

A6 trans? They are a fun lot...
    Check in the Trans section for hints and helps.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Yep, A6..lots of fun, but sure does lagg a bit when coasting to a stop then flooring it...almost as if the engine stalls...then bam...takes off! Very annoying.

Ok, played in the pressure zone of the trans area and got spooked. Raised line pressure about 2% and all worked great untill i floored it....hit the rev limiter and didn't shift till i backed off the throttle.....

Any ideas?? I didn't play with the rpm....

Got a before & after tune & log data?

all i have is the current data with no mods other than disabling the DOD......you wanna look at it?

Tuner in Training
    I agree, i am noticing better performace in general...engine running smoother and quieter...with a much better throttle response from 55 on up when cruiseing.....I'm sure that's all due to the DOD not coming on and the engine doesn't have to fire up the dead 4 cyls , saving those 30 secs.....

For now i shall leave it off....thanks again....

I would like to firm up my up shifts...any suggestions where to start..??
    What do you mean by saving those 30 secs??? Are you being sarcastic? I read the pcm switchs everything on or off within 2 revolutions of the engine. My 07 GMC has little lag when it kicks out of DOD. I am pretty happy with it. I am curious about trying disabling it and seeing what it's like.

no, i'm serious.....there is a considerable lag when the dod is enable and you romp on it.....

Tuner in Training

There should be no lag switching between V4/V8...so if it is really 30 seconds you have some serious issues and should see dealer. There was a TSB about jerking or hesitation when switching modes but not sure if it applied to your G8.

We have lots of roads up here that are 50mph speed limit, and with traffic mostly go 55 (no point getting busted going to work!) and its awesome to see a full size pickup cruising along at that speed getting 30mpg!! I average 20+ mpg per tank (US gallons), all in town, calculated and compared to the DIC, and I don't baby the thing either plus it gets used to haul stuff. I like DOD.

And I don't understand why your idle would be better with DOD disabled as (on my truck anyway) it switches to V8 for idle, it never idles in V4. Are the G8's different?? I DO agree on the exhaust, some aftermarket stuff does not account for the V4 mode so when it switches on sounds pretty odd...

Not slagging you here, just trying to understand....BTW, G8 is a sexy looking car, wish they made a coupe too...
    2007 Sierra RCSB 5.3 (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin
    BTW, G8 is a sexy looking car, wish they made a coupe too...
    How about a Convertible?