Thread: Is it ok to tune LTFT by just using the MAF

Tuner in Training FourG63 97GST's Avatar

Is it ok to tune LTFT by just using the MAF

after unsuccessfully messing with the VE tables to try to bring my fuel trims in check. I started adjusting the MAF frequency, this helped it out alot, then I did the final tweaking by using LTFT "paste special, multiply by half %" recipe.
    My Fuels trims are perfect now. wideband is on point.
    Is this the correct way to do it? The reason I ask because after all the reading i've been doing on here. More emphasis have been placed on adjusting the VE table than the maf, so I kinda feel like I cheated in a kinda way. so does it matter how I get my results even after I got it?

I'll post my before and after log and tune.
    02 Z06: G5X3 (234/242 .600/.610), Longtubes, Vararam

- 02 Z06, LS2, Twin Turbo

it's fine. the MAF has a MUCH larger impact on fueling in the stock configuration than the VE table (except around idle).
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

VE and MAF are both important. MAF more so when using a MAF tune, but once you dial in the VE (for the correct values) you will notice the MAF curve is incorrect.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training FourG63 97GST's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    but once you dial in the VE (for the correct values) you will notice the MAF curve is incorrect.
    how would I know its incorrect? an how do I correct it?

- 02 Z06, LS2, Twin Turbo

Advanced Tuner
    Bump for a friend.. It helps to disable dynamic airflow so that the car uses the MAF for fuel calcs (as opposed to a blend of MAF/VE.. keyword is blend, VE serves as a sanity check for MAF at low rpms/airflow, where a MAF is less accurate).
    2006 Trailblazer SS - Stalled, Cammed, Tuned, Turbo'd, Built, and Stroked.
    Runs on cash, blood, sweat, and tears...... and 93 octane.

2007 Cadillac STS-V - Stock.

Basicly, unplug the maf, or set it to fail at 0hz... then go ahead and tune the car with the VE tables.... so then u know the VE tables are perfect, reenable the maf, and ull see the values are off, so you need to adjust the maf from there on, there is a chart somewhere that says what hz = what rpm...