Thread: "Fuel Trim System Rich"

Tuner in Training

"Fuel Trim System Rich"

I am getting this code listed for Bank 1 and 2 after loading a different engine tune. What do I need to change gradually to try to stop it from coding this error? The engine seems to run much better than stock and has increased the mpg significantly, but it keeps lighting up the engine light and giving these codes

Scan? Previous tune? Mods?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    Scan? Previous tune? Mods?
    I recorded a scan just to see what scanning was about but didn't really comprehend a bit of it when I watched it play back.

Stock 06 Avalanche 5.3l is the one showing the codes. I loaded the identical tune into the 02 Avalanche(work car) and it runs even better than the 06 with this and does not set off the check engine light at all like the 06 does.

Woah, why the change in the IFR? There are a lot of unnecessary and incorrect changes to the tune. That IFR table difference is enough to max out the fuel trims rich.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Woah, why the change in the IFR? There are a lot of unnecessary and incorrect changes to the tune. That IFR table difference is enough to max out the fuel trims rich.
    I don't know about that, I just want the error codes to go away. I cannot argue with the fact that it runs a whole lot better than stock and I see increased mpg's, and it works great in the 02. Do you have a suggestion for modifying the flow rate table or should I just cut the change in half and test that?

You should put it back to stock and then I recommend doing some readings on the forums. You have the truck running very rich with what you did and the fuel trims are pulling out tons of fuel. Just because it did something does not mean it is right. The right way to get it to run better is to properly tune the correct airflow tables. Hacking the IFR table is not going to do what you said.

What is the stock flow rate on the '02? That may be why it runs fine in there, they may have smaller injectors.

Tuner in Training
    You should put it back to stock and then I recommend doing some readings on the forums. You have the truck running very rich with what you did and the fuel trims are pulling out tons of fuel. Just because it did something does not mean it is right. The right way to get it to run better is to properly tune the correct airflow tables. Hacking the IFR table is not going to do what you said.

What is the stock flow rate on the '02? That may be why it runs fine in there, they may have smaller injectors.
    Well, that certainly could explain the 02 difference, maybe there is something different in there. As for reading the forums, been there and done that more than a few times. I found some pretty good info for tranny modifications, but engine wise there seems to be just too many variables to get a handle on any of it. So if hacking my tables is making the 06 run super rich, I suppose that might explain why it seems to have more power when driving it, but it doesn't seem to explain why I am seeing such an increase in mpg's. If I flow more air with less fuel trims, I assume I get more fuel anyway. So since my fuel trim is flowing more fuel the only way I can see that would increase mpg's is if I was flowing less air. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

What is the change in gas mileage? I can tell you right now this has nothing to do with the injector changes, unless it is causing the computer to falsely pull to much fuel because you overloaded the o2 sensors. Adding more fuel never gets better gas mileage. I don't care if you have more or less air, more fuel being injected gives worse mileage. You have to be careful with these changes to the engine. True, it may be running richer making it feel quicker, or you could be running it leaner being at the limits of the fuel trims.

At the end of the day it is your car, so do as you feel is best. If it were my car, a friends, or anyone else looking for tuning help, I would not let their car leave with that tune. Not to mention the changes made to the timing tables, blind changes to the VE above 4k where it is not used in MAF mode, injector offset and min pulse changes, extremely high rev limiter, PE changes which may make the car lean at WOT, odd changes to the knock sensor tables, etc.

No need to take my advice though, but you did ask what your problem was

Tuner in Training
    What is the change in gas mileage? I can tell you right now this has nothing to do with the injector changes, unless it is causing the computer to falsely pull to much fuel because you overloaded the o2 sensors. Adding more fuel never gets better gas mileage. I don't care if you have more or less air, more fuel being injected gives worse mileage. You have to be careful with these changes to the engine. True, it may be running richer making it feel quicker, or you could be running it leaner being at the limits of the fuel trims.

At the end of the day it is your car, so do as you feel is best. If it were my car, a friends, or anyone else looking for tuning help, I would not let their car leave with that tune. Not to mention the changes made to the timing tables, blind changes to the VE above 4k where it is not used in MAF mode, injector offset and min pulse changes, extremely high rev limiter, PE changes which may make the car lean at WOT, odd changes to the knock sensor tables, etc.

No need to take my advice though, but you did ask what your problem was
    In my case, what would be great is if the tune repository had engine tunes for 5.3l truck engines that were "canned" so I could get some sort of handle on what the changes do or don't do and go from there. Otherwise, I am left to guess and try it and see. Anyway, the stock tune gets a consistant 13.2 average economy and has since I bought it. Resetting the thing may show 15.something for awhile but it always ends up back at 13-14. After loading this "rich" tune and resetting the thing, it is hovering at 23.something after about 100 miles. Now, maybe the indicator is screwy for some reason, but if not, that's a huge difference for doing nothing more than changing the engine to the current settings.

MPG aside, there is no argument that the engine runs more like my 99 5.7 Tahoe than since I got it, up to now it was more like my garden tractor.

Wait, there is no "guess and see". There is a steep learning curve with tuning we all have to go through. That is what the forum is for. There is plenty of detailed information on tuning available on this site and you can post questions at any time to find out more information. Even if there was info in the repository about it, I would recommend against using it. That is an easy way to get in trouble, but someone else's incorrect tune.

If you set up the tune correctly, you have no need to worry about it and it will perform at it's best.

Tuner in Training
    Wait, there is no "guess and see". There is a steep learning curve with tuning we all have to go through. That is what the forum is for. There is plenty of detailed information on tuning available on this site and you can post questions at any time to find out more information. Even if there was info in the repository about it, I would recommend against using it. That is an easy way to get in trouble, but someone else's incorrect tune.

If you set up the tune correctly, you have no need to worry about it and it will perform at it's best.
    For my needs, I probably would have been better to go with a hand held canned tuner. But with 3 vehicles I could use it on, the HPTuner was a way better deal money wise. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be too many people tuning for stock Silverado's and Avalanches and 99 Tahoes so I am in try it and see on my own mode for now.

No different than any other car to tune and trust me, this is far better than any hand held.

Tuner in Training
    No different than any other car to tune and trust me, this is far better than any hand held.
    I just halfed the modifications to the flow rate table and drove it 20 miles and no light, so hopefully that may have fixed that problem. This will have to do till something better comes along.

Until something better comes along? Such as?

Tuner in Training
    Until something better comes along? Such as?
    Such as enough more information or knowledge to further modify what is working now...

There is a ton of information out here.