Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flex Fuel - Master Enable/Disable

Senior Tuner

Flex Fuel - Master Enable/Disable

Chris,

If one was to set this scalar to "Enabled", say on an '08 Z06 (), would this allow the system to function "virtually", and/or are there other areas that need to be addressed, as well?

Thanks!

James
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

there is a lot that needs calibrating that probably isn't by default. I put this one in there so people could turn it off, not on There's probably a couple hundred params for this that control the virtual fuel composition sensor behavior and it's linkage to the O2's and fuel trims etc.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    How about making these parameters visible? (hehehe, but seriously...FL is going E10 by the end of next year, and I'd like to have that running on my car.)

Senior Tuner
    Thanks for the info, Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by LazMan
    How about making these parameters visible? (hehehe, but seriously...FL is going E10 by the end of next year, and I'd like to have that running on my car.)
    Just make a simple change to your stoich value 0.00% cell, and BAM, everything will fall in line.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

James,
    Chatting with Greg the other day. Looks like GM set things up in the Vette to be unfriendly to E85. Rubber lining in hoses is the number one issue. Number 2 is the fuel sending unit is not E85 friendly. Will corrode over time.
    Same thing on the trucks. E85 trucks have different fuel lines and fuel sending unit as well as a different fuel pump design. So yes you could "flip the switch" but there are problems awaiting.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    I've done that lots RWTD. I ran E63 (custom mix) on my Monte SS a month or so back. Very nice (MPG sucked tho) ... but with more and more E10 around, it'd be nice for the computer to calculate it itself.

EC, I figure in another year or two they'll have to start putting E85-safe hosing et all in all cars ... as more E10 is around. In Florida, it will ALL be E10 by the end of next year...

... So, my 33mpg tune will go back to under 30. Sheesh.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LazMan
    EC, I figure in another year or two they'll have to start putting E85-safe hosing et all in all cars ... as more E10 is around. In Florida, it will ALL be E10 by the end of next year...

E10: It will allow gas stations to water the gas down more and not have people notice...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BBA
    E10: It will allow gas stations to water the gas down more and not have people notice...

bingo, less mileage same price. whats not to love

its interesting that people are concerned about e85 eating lines. i am almost positive i read that the fuel line part numbers for both e85 and non e85 trucks are the same. i will verify tomarrow

Advanced Tuner
    I think you're right about the trucks texsrt4. Alcohol eats natural rubber lines. Synthetic rubber lines are (alleged to be) ok.

If you can check P/Ns, check the fuel pumps as well.

Ethanol will also react with non-anodized aluminum, which may vehicles use for fuel lines or rails. Further, the contacts on most fuel level sensors are subject to erosion via electrolysis with alcohol fuels. Flex fuel vehicles typically have stainless lines and in-tank sensor contacts to avoid this.

Tuner in Training
    dont switch that to enabled, i tired it in my colorado and the computer freaked out.

Tuner in Training
    I tried it on my 08 STS Northstar and set the switch to enable and filled up with E85. The AFR adjusted correctly and the engine run fine but then I dedected rough shifting. Looking at the scanner I saw that the delivered torque numbers were quite high. So I think the calculation of the delivered torque must be misscalculated.
    So I set it back to disable, changed the main AFR for the E85 and the car run fine.
    Is there a (hidden) table which has to be changed so that the PCM calculates the torque correctly?

Advanced Tuner
    From what I understand, I am fairly certain that there are many hidden tables and/or values.

Tuner
    Didn't seem to make a difference in my GTO at all. I was so hoping to be able to run either 93 or E85 interchangably.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LazMan View Post
    How about making these parameters visible?
    Good idea. Sent you a PM Chris

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Didn't seem to make a difference in my GTO at all. I was so hoping to be able to run either 93 or E85 interchangably.
    I am building a e85 turbocharged lt1 with a ls style harness and pcm. would like to "flip a switch" to change from a e85 fuel/timing map to "pump" gasoline fuel/timing map/

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lt1stang View Post
    I am building a e85 turbocharged lt1 with a ls style harness and pcm. would like to "flip a switch" to change from a e85 fuel/timing map to "pump" gasoline fuel/timing map/
    talk to Frost on here to see if one of his dual flash pcm's is compatible with your setup maybe ? it does exactly what you are saying 2 different tunes at the flip of a switch , heres a link :

http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/products.htm
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    talk to Frost on here to see if one of his dual flash pcm's is compatible with your setup maybe ? it does exactly what you are saying 2 different tunes at the flip of a switch , heres a link :

http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/products.htm
    after some more research and thinking. I would much rather simulate the alcohol sensor in a 0411 flex fuel truck and basically turn a "percentage of ethanol" knob to tell the pcm how much ethanol is in the fuel mixture. I have a test kit and do not mind taking the time to fillup and take a fuel sample and adjust and go. does anyone know if thats even possible. and what kind of signal does the ethanol sensor send. does anyone know if its a 0-5v reference?

kicking a dead horse, Any chance of seeing these parameters? Any reason one couldn't enable this on a G8?

Sure is a reason not to. Have to be missing some tables, as my command AFR didn't change at all when I put it back to stock and turned on the Flex Fuel. Oh well.