Thread: Generic "Performance Mode" question

Advanced Tuner

Question Generic "Performance Mode" question

I use my HPTuners setup on both my 2000 Camaro, and my 2002 Silverado.

I noticed that they both have a "Performance Mode Option" box in the "General" section of "Shift Properties".

The Camaro shows that it is in "NO SWITCH" mode.
    The truck shows it to be in "CLASS 2" mode.

I know that the truck has the "Tow/Haul" button on the gear selector, and from what I have read, I believe that this enables the "Performance Mode" of the shifting parameters on that vehicle? I haven't towed anything yet so I can only assume that it does what it's intended to do. I've mainly just deleted Torque Management for a firmer shift feel.

My question is...

Is there any reason whatsoever to change either vehicles setting?

I tried the built-in HELP section, and it doesn't address this at all.
    I tried the cursor over the Mode Option box and the info at bottom of screen doesn't give any suggestions or info either IMO.
    My searches have done nothing but confuse me more.

Bottom line is, the car shifts great as is (even with 3600 stall converter), so I feel there's no reason to change anything, as far as settings. The truck shifts firm, without being obnoxious, so I'm also happy with that. I'm just confused as to what, if anything, making a change to either vehicle would actually do.

Thanks and sorry for the long "question"...
    2000 Trans AM WS6 6.0, 4L80e, 9"
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3 liter Work Beater

Advanced Tuner
    ok...well thanks again.

Search is your friend. Found this in the sticky at the top of the trans section.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8887

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks. I read the sticky like I said in my post above, and see nothing that answers my question.

I noticed that they both have a "Performance Mode Option" box in the "General" section of "Shift Properties".

The Camaro shows that it is in "NO SWITCH" mode.
    The truck shows it to be in "CLASS 2" mode.

My question is...

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd
    If you don't know the answer to the question, probably best just to leave it as is. There are many parameters that are displayed but don't necessary need to be modified.

Bottom line is, the car shifts great as is (even with 3600 stall converter), so I feel there's no reason to change anything, as far as settings.
    Then why would you want to change it?

Advanced Tuner
    I thought the purpose of a product specific messageboard was that if you were unsure about something that the software adjusts, or even if you had what you hoped was a simple, generic question about your HPTuners setup (and/or you simply didn't understand something), then you asked a question, hoping that someone more experienced, and/or someone who knew the answer, would reply.

I never implied that I did or did not want to change the parameter I asked about...I just happened to notice that the 2 vehicles were set differently and was curious as to if they were set right, or if not, what or why should I make a change, since there is no definitive answer anywhere here or in the actual program that I can find on my own. The only mention I saw was the link that Russ provided, which explains how to hook up a switch to enable a certain mode. If I am 100% in the dark about what is even being discussed (like I was after reading that particular sticky), I'll ask a question and hope I get an answer.

My car was originally tuned at a shop via HPTuners. Since then I have purchased my own HPTuners. The whole reason I ask about anything that "looks" different is because my original so-called "professional" tune was very much different than other pro tunes I have seen and studied. Whenever I see something that appears different than maybe it should, then I get a little paranoid and try to get something definitive for my own piece of mind. That's all.

I know us "newbies" sometimes irritate the pros on here with all the questions, but without ever asking for help or advice, how will we ever be as knowledgeable or efficient as they are?

Tuner in Training
    the performance mode option is simply an indicator of what sort of switch you have to activate the secondary shift tables (tow/haul, aka performance mode).

you need to leave it as is on the truck, or you will disable the tow/haul button.
    it will do you no good to change it on the car as you simply don't have a button to activate the performance table. if you install a switch (as indicated in the link posted http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8887 ), you can switch back and forth from normal, over to the performance mode shift tables - which is still going to be pointless unless you edit the performance mode tables to be useful to you.

Advanced Tuner

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BobDoLe
    the performance mode option is simply an indicator of what sort of switch you have to activate the secondary shift tables (tow/haul, aka performance mode).

you need to leave it as is on the truck, or you will disable the tow/haul button.
    it will do you no good to change it on the car as you simply don't have a button to activate the performance table. if you install a switch (as indicated in the link posted http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8887 ), you can switch back and forth from normal, over to the performance mode shift tables - which is still going to be pointless unless you edit the performance mode tables to be useful to you.
    Thank you very much for the explanation.
    I kinda figured that was what would happen with the truck, but the car (and the linked button thread) is what confused me the most. I didn't really see WHY you would want the separate toggle or button in a car (like mine), which is why I asked about it.

I assume that since my street/strip (3600+ rpm stalled) car already has several transmission changes to it's current tune, that I'd be better off not adding any switches or anything like that.

Thanks again.

Potential Tuner
    the real benifit to the switch would bit if you wanted to have the performace table set for something more for the track, like you could simply have the shift points changed from normal mode to performance mode. Why do that, well maybe you would like to see (while your at the track) what effect raising the shift points by 200rpm might have on your track times. Without a switch you would have to make a run,reprogram the pcm with new shift points,then make another run. With the swich you could make the run, then on the next run push the switch to change the trans table.. You could also have the performance table set so it locks the converter, maybe higher line pressuers etc..

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I see how that could be a benefit for some.

Fortunately, I've already had some great help from a few experts (RussK being one of them) as far as maximizing all of the incidentals and have also made dozens of runs with datalogs so I could dial in my shift points to optimize my ET's.

Reading your reply actually made me laugh since that is exactly how I dialed in my shift points...make a pass, check et slip, study datalog, make a change, reflash, repeat... I was able to get 21 very repeatable passes in one day, which is what surely helped me. I logged almost every run, but made 3 passes before making any changes. I figured that way I'd have a realistic comparison to go by.

Since my car shifts firm at low rpm's and almost instantly at WOT (which is exactly how I want it), I can't see where any button operated mode change would be a benefit to my particular combo, but at least now I understand something that I didn't before I made this thread.

Potential Tuner
    wow 21 passes in one day, should come up here in nj's englishtown cause your lucky to get 3 or more runs in.

Advanced Tuner

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bubagumpshrimp
    wow 21 passes in one day, should come up here in nj's englishtown cause your lucky to get 3 or more runs in.
    LOL...no thanks.

That was at an actual private track rental at MIR (Budd's Creek Maryland). It was $100 a car, but I actually did "Testing and Tuning"...

Friday night T&T's at Cecil County Dragway or Capitol Raceway are the same way. People are happy to pay $20 to get 2-3 passes in, but think I'm crazy to pay $100 to get MANY more...

Potential Tuner
    So what actually causes the car to go into Performance mode, or are the cars set to always run in Normal mode? Thanks

Tuner
    on the cars, some came with a button on the console called performance shift. activate it and it uses those tables.