Thread: EVAP question

Tuner in Training

EVAP question

Hello,

I have a 2002 LS1 swap in my 94 Rx7 and I want to connect the EVAP solinoid.

Will the evap solinoid purge without the fuel tank pressure sensor? I planned to turn off the MIL codes for the tank pressure sensor since I am utilizing the 94 RX7 evap system.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I do not believe so. I think that is how it gets the signal, but I may be mistaken.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    WS6FirebirdTA00 is correct, I tried it on my 2002 LS1 swap and I ended up deleting the codes and the purge solenoid.
    97 GMC ext cab, 2002 LS6, MTI G1 cam 228/232-588/575-113, MTI hardened pushrods, Patriot 243 heads, 3200 stall, 85mm Mass air, S&P Type III Headers, 2 1/2" Magnaflow High flow cats, Flowmasters, HPTuners, 4:10 gears, Original Boyds wheels 17X9's front 17X11's rear, East coast customs WS6 ram air hood, 150 shot NOS LS1 set up, 4/5Beltech drop, Caltracs.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, here is what I did:

Installed and wired in the stock purge on the intake. Wired in and installed the vent solinoid so the PCM sees that it is there. I have it tucked under the dash. I wired in a 150 Ohm resistor across pins 53 and 54 on the PCM so the PCM thinks that there is 3/8 of a tank of gas. Turned on codes for these devices and all is well.

Now my question is the tank pressure sensor. Should I also wire in a resistor so the PCM thinks the tank is at "x" pressure to operate the EVAP purge? Does anyone know the voltage range of the tank pressure sensor so I can substitute a resistor for the sensor? This way I will have EVAP function and not gas out the garage.

Also from what I have researched, the PCM does not run a diagnostic test if the tank is below 15% or above 85% full. Is that correct?
    Last edited by zaxrx; 08-11-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Tuner
    Did you ever make this work?

I am in a similar situation, would like to get the purge soleniod working without the vent solenoid and the gas sender. However I do have the pressure sensor that can be installed if needed.

If I install a resistor that makes the PCM think the fuel level is outside of the test area (15-85%), would the PCM need the vent solenoid at all? It seems to me the only function it has is to test the system for leaks.

Is there a way to make the solenoid purge without any of the senors by changing parameters in HPT?

Correct, the only reason there is a vent solenoid is checking the EVAP system for leaks. To my knowledge there is no way to change purge parameters in HPT. Purge is for emissions only, not needed, is there a reason you want purge?

Tuner
    Only reason I want it is to avoid gas smell in the garage.