Thread: '05 5.3 Vortec, needs to go on a diet!

Potential Tuner

'05 5.3 Vortec, needs to go on a diet!

I am new to HP Tuners but have been aware of the process through friends for a while. I am in the Hydrogen Conversion business and I need to lean my truck to gain fuel mileage. The "pioneers" in this field have all kinds of ways to fool the ECM with controllers on the O2s, MAP, MAF, IAT as well as fuel heaters, PCV enhancers, etc.,etc.
    It seems to me that the best way to lean out an engine would be to work with it instead of "fooling" the brain. I have a tuner ready to try, but he has only worked toward speed and power gain to date.
    He wants me to bring the desired changes with me, and I only know to ask for fuel trim, and the above mentioned sensors.
    I have a hydrogen generator on the truck, and I installed the O2 controllers on both banks so the ECM would not load up the fuel when it detected O2 from the engine. I have more power, clean air and water out the back, and better mileage. My mileage increase varies between 10% and 26% improvement. Some of the guys with all the above foolers are getting between 25% and 40%. It has worked pretty well, but is intermittent. I have been told that the ECM will revert to old tables when ignoring the O2s. We have installed on a diesel truck (big Cummins)that consistently gets 33% better, but it is an older truck and doesn't have all the sensors to deal with.
    I had my truck tested on the emissions "sniffer" at an inspection station, and it has 0 hydrocarbons and 0 CO exiting the tail pipe.
    Can some of you suggest a staring point for the tune?
    Thanks,
    Hahncho

Advanced Tuner
    You will want to disable the feedback from the o2 sensors and run in open loop the entire time. This will allow you to completely ignore the cars feedback controls and instead allow you to set the AFR's depening on what you want, when you want it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out when you are done with it.

What is the cost of a hydrogen generator?

Are you 100% converted to hydrogen, or are you using it to supplement gasoline?

Txsrt4 has it right. You can eliminate the "foolers" and do two things actually. You could install a wideband O2 in place of the narrow band so that you can at least monitor your A/F. I might also suggest an EGT while you do your tuning as well.

You can then set the enable threshold for Closed Loop high enough that your engine will never see closed loop. You can run in open loop and rely on your tune with no input from the O2 sensors.