Thread: Le5 Cobalt SS 2.4 cam tuning?

Le5 Cobalt SS 2.4 cam tuning?

Are we able to change the cam settings? advance and retard?

nobody?

I don't find the cam tables in the calibration

nope. not that i know of.
    2007 Cobalt SS 2.4 5spd SUPERCHARGED

this is bad...

thanks for the info

Im assuming you installed cams before checking this? What about manually changing the cam timing and then playing with the spark timing?

Advanced Tuner
    manually changing timing on a car motor with variable valva timing sounds dangerous.. i wouldnt try it..

as far as tuning the cam, do you mean changing when the cam hits a specific phase? cuz i doubt thats possible

Advanced Tuner
    The cams are controlled by hydraulic pressure. And it has been said that HPTuners cannot change their settings.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO
    The cams are controlled by hydraulic pressure. And it has been said that HPTuners cannot change their settings.
    But EFI live can??

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO
    are you sure? cuz there's 2 electronic "probes" or whatever on top of my motor that must have something to do with the way the cams phase. i dont think its hydraulic, unless those "probes" actuate some sort of hydraulic valve.
    i do know that they are not oil pressure based either, i beleive only honda and toyota does that

Tuner in Training
    OK this is a BIG BIG BIG undertaking and understandably so that HPT doesn't support it at this time. While EFILive does its support is limited in many ways and not fully integrated with the Virtual VE tables as it should be.

Physical function of VVT:
    The cam phasers are hydraulically actuated by a 4 way electronic control valve. That valve enables cam lobe timing (lift) to crank shaft timing to change while the engine is running. A total of 50* can be commanded by the ECU under any operating condition of the engine.

Intent Function:
    To produce EGR under certain conditions, maximum performance under acceleration and fuel efficiency when cruising.

What it's NOT:
    A single static RPM cross over from one setting to another.
    A system to increase Lift.
    A simple way to eek a few extra HP out of the motor by simple 2D table change.

If you already think the VVE is a daunting task of tuning then just imagine another dimension or 2 on top of an already complex multi derivative multi dimensional table.

A LOT can be achieved by changing the cam timing in boosted engines, but I have not seen any real advantage of messing with it N/A. As far as I know I don't think that Hahn or DDM make changes to the cam timing with their boost systems, but I would if I was to supercharge an LE5.
    Last edited by scdyne; 07-23-2008 at 10:55 AM.
    -Adam Chant SCdyne Performance "Tune it or lose it!"

Advanced Tuner
    i havent played with any of my cam settins.. not sure im im even comfortable with it yet

Quote Originally Posted by scdyne

A LOT can be achieved by changing the cam timing in boosted engines, but I have not seen any real advantage of messing with it N/A. As far as I know I don't think that Hahn or DDM make changes to the cam timing with their boost systems, but I would if I was to supercharge an LE5.
    I tune alot of Honda

and with the VTC tuning (cam settings electronic control) I could have a lot of power gain

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Please put a request in our features request section and I'll add it to the main thread, there really haven't been any requests for these parameters and they aren't useful for every calibration the E67 pcm supports similar to DOD, ie even though its in all the E67 calibrations its only used in vehicles equipped with DOD hardware.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"