Thread: Cold and hot weather tunes ?

Cold and hot weather tunes ?

I havent had much time to play with my car, but since moving to Florida at sea level, I noted because of the hot weather, the car doesnt seem as quick off the line. I also notice and RPMs drop alttle more and in cold weather when the AC is on and hunts for the AC idle at a light.

How does the effects of warmer climate effect the tune?

When I get some extra time, Ill have to do something with it

Tuner in Training

Arrow

Warmer climate means warmer IAT's and warmer ECT. Both of these will lower the power available to you. Warmer air is less dense so it won't take as much fuel to get to your desired AF ratio. Less air and fuel means less power. Not much you can do about this other than running a colder thermostat and making sure your air filter is getting cool outside air and not engine compartment air. Or you can put in more "air" to hold more fuel by running nitrous or forced induction

There is also a chance that your tune has timing that is too high for the higher temps. This could lead to knock, which in turn leads to knock retard of the timing which would lower your power. Ths one you can check for by logging KR and then dropping down the timing a bit in the areas where you're seeing the knock.

There is also a IAT timing table which automatically pulls timing at certain levels of IAT. This happens whether you are seeing knock or not. It's intended to adjust for the warmer temp so that you don't see the knock situation I mentioned above. You probably want to leave this table intact, but just know that it's there while your tuning in case you want to turn it off for the tune and then back on for driving.

Not sure on the idle surge deal...

Good luck...
    Scott Braemer
    2000 NHRA Trans Am - LS1
    2006 Trailblazer SS - LS2
    2008 GMC Sierra Denali - L92

where did you used to live?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB