Thread: help where to start with 06 cobalt ss stg 2 retune

Potential Tuner

help where to start with 06 cobalt ss stg 2 retune

I have been reading alot in through all the posts avalible with this topic, but i have some confusion as where to start,

i have read to start with the injectors, then tune the MAF then VE then PE tables, then go to the spark advance. I have purchased a couple of books to help with this matter, How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems from motor books workshop and Engine management advanced tuning from Greg Banish. I have read through both already, and it would seem that they have ALOT of info but they seem to be more specific with building a EMS from scratch, which is not the case in hand. anyway on to the real question,

First off this is what i have:
    GM STG 2 upgrade
    AEM Cold air
    ZZP Mid length Headders w/ Catless downpipe
    Snow Performance Methanol Injection(not tuned for yet but will be later)
    ZZP 2.8" Pully(not Installed yet will be later)
    AEM Wideband UGEO
    HP Tuners with MVPI

Info I have now:
    More Specific Info on the Lucas Injectors (Attached)
    Several Log files(attached)
    Copy of VCM EMS File(attached with original)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok now I have the fuel injector part down in the new config file, now the problem i am having now is going about correcting the MAF, VE, PE and Spark tables.

From what I understand this is what I need to do for the MAF:
    Use WB02 to log AFR, and Disable closed loop,
    Change the histogram to plot the AFR % Error vs MAF
    Then Copy and paste the Error Pecent back into the MAF table on the PCM CAL.

Ok and as for that what is the correct way to set up the histogram? I have it set up like this right now:
    PID is AFR Error, Filter strings is [SENS.121] > 14.6 AND [PID.2301] < 5800
    Table is set to MAF Airflow vs Output Freq.

Now when i want to get the error do i multiply the coresponding number in the VCM editor by the percent error and ADD it to the number or do i Subtact it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not gonna go near the VE tables yet, idk if i have been reading into everything a little bit too much or what, but it would seem that the MAF and VE tables from GM are all F*** up they just need to be smoothed and corrected to my specific setup. Also I am going to be shooting for the Rich peak tourque of 11.76 AFR under PE WOT. I have noticed a little bit of KR but it is mostly at low RPM, it was worse before i re adjusted the Injector profile for the injectors.

Where what should be done to get myself on track to start tuning the MAF, and later VE and Spark tables?

The last VCM file is what i have been working with so far, it has the 02 codes removed and has the PE table adjusted

Tuner in Training
    I saw your injector duty cycle hit 90%. i would not throw the 2.8 pulley on there like that

Potential Tuner
    yeah i noticed this as well that was another concern of mine that i did not mention, i have some siemens #60 lb injectors on the way now along with a dual pass endplate, also another concern was the fact the injectors that are on it now go static from about 4000 rpms and up, the MS timing on them are all above what they should be but i dont know how long the injectors will operate at that state, which is also why i am getting the 60's, so i am already working on the adjustments for the pcm for the 60s right now, I still need to know if the above described method is the right way to go about tuning the MAF and the VE.

Tuner
    Doesn't look like you're logging knock retard. You have to set the config up to log "Total KR" because it's not setup for this car from the start.

First thing you need to do is get some 60s. 60s is a must to do anything with this car. Your IDCs are maxed the eff out, straight off the showroom floor.