Thread: Turbo Vanes Pulsing?

Tuner in Training

Turbo Vanes Pulsing?

Posted this on the dieselplace but there havent been any replies.

It happens at lower speeds (mph) but at almost all RPM.... i can hear the vanes open, shut, open, shut. This only happens when I run a tune other than my stock tune with the DPF shut off. The pulsing happens on the highway with cruise control on at 65mph/~1600rpm but its not as noticeable. I can only tell from the faint whistle I can hear from the turbo. Do I have a tuning problem or is there something weird going on? This never happened before when I ran a tune from what I can remember. This seems to be a new occasion linked with the newest (2.22) version of the tuning suite. All of my tune files are small, the current one I'm having problems with is kind of a 20-20 tune from mcrats tutorial. I've driven it about 60-70 miles and still has the pulsing. If someone wants to look at the tune file I'll email/post it. I'm new at tuning so I could be just missing something. Thanks!

-David

Potential Tuner
    Hit me with an email and I will take a look at it. I have tuned a few of them so I might be able to help. [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Got it fixed! A few days ago I was playing with it and I has disabled the EGR through HP Tuners and the valve was getting blown open or something was happening and the truck would loose the boost. I enabled it and now have no problems. Thanks for your offer! I've been enjoying driving the truck so I never got to post up that I fixed the prob.

Tuner in Training
    Dam Bud, We Seem To Be On The Same Learning Curve.. Just Figure Out I Did The Same Thing..

Now I Just Leave The Egr Master On And Raise The Min Temp For Egr Function To 320 So The Computer Keeps The Egr Shut

When I Used The Dpf And Egr Master Controlls I Had All Sorts Of Issues

You can not just disable it to keep it shut off???? I have disable mine with no problem, but I had the blocker plate in so no big deal. Can you guys help me I am not understanding why you had to turn it on. I have an lbz so that might be the difference.
    2006 LBZ Duramax 4x4 CC SB 2500HD SRW 4x4 LT1 (with extras), Blocked & Fingered, Fumoto drain valve, Keystone Ram Air Good Hood, Banks Ram Air, Access cover & Rhino over the rails, Victory Red.
    33'-0" Dutchman fifthwheel,Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller

Banks Sixgun with HPTUNERS.

Tuner in Training
    With The Blocker Plate Its A Different Story..

The Theory I Have Is That When You Just Shut If Off It Gets Blown Open And Stays Open..

But If You Just Tell It To Stay In A Closed Position Then The Motor Will Readjust The Egr Valve If The Boost Blows It Open.. Its Basically The Same Thing

Tuner in Training
    In Your Case Who Cares, Nothing Is Getting Past It Anayway.. Its When You Dont Have It Blocked You Can Run Into Trouble By Simply Turning It Off

Potential Tuner
    I am hearing the vanes open and close on mine too, is this a bad thing, am I actually losing boost? I disabled the master egr but I don't have a block off plate either, am i doing this all wrong?

Tuner in Training
    Honestly I Dont Know, I Just Know When I Disabled The Master Egr I Ran Into Issues So Instead I Set The Dtc's To No Mill And The The Egr Diagnostics Temp Up To 320 For Engage And -50 Disengage With A Cutoff Position Of -5 Deg

This Way The Computer Makes Sure It Stays Closed And I Get No Codes..

I Also Removed My Dpf And Just Shut Off The Codes... I Been Running The Truck Like This For A Year Now And It Runs Great

Tuner in Training
    Forgive me if this is a silly question, I'm new to diesel tuning.

What is the advantage of disabling the egr?

Tony