Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reflashing cavalier 2.2 OHV

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    If by drivability you mean the generally accepted desription of cruising and off throttle habits then yeah, you won't care. But you slam the throttle shut going into a corner and hit the (power) brakes massively sucking vacum and your engine stalls, thats drivability also. The kind you and I definately care about. This was happening to me with the car bone stock, so you may see these issues your the cam and airflow mods. My car was un-drivable to the degree that I was trying to push it so I tuned it's drivability and no longer have stalling issues.

Tuner in Training
    Yes your right. I bought pro, new laptop. I'm reading till my eyes bleed. Bought Greg Banish's book. Have taken a scan, data log with the old motor. Might not be back here for a little while. I read your tune notes, looks very safe to me for what I'm about to do, I will back off the timing a little across the board. Not sure what effect it will have on the car not having a speed sensor but so far so good. I have a lot to learn. Idle and stall may be a problem with the cam so I have been studying that area the most right now.
    Looking back I have to wonder why someone would pay $300+ for cam and not tune it.
    I will be back and share what I have done. Thanks again so much for your valuable information and help in making the right choices.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Doc, can I bother you for your config file for the scanner?
    Does this have a maf sensor? didn't think so.
    I think I'm making sense of some of this now. I need to figure out ve first. need to do that first because of new cam. then play with fuel trim data from scans, then adj.advance.
    I think i got the copy adv table from high to low octane and things like that.
    I clicked a bunch of pids in the main table took it for a ride around the block but the histograms have to all be assigned? made one but it made no sense.
    is it because i am running the beta that there are on histograms defined?
    TIA!!!!!!!!

I am using the Default Imperial Custom Cofig. It should already be in your scanner. If it's not and the only thing you have is Default Imperial Config, and if that's not working for you I will edit and post my own personal config. here for you later. As for the histograms, they are not available to our specific vehicles. I think it's due to the way our (very old) PCM's work. I haven't gotten into anything that I would want to set up a histogram for yet. I've just been recording scan logs and reviewing that data in order to make adjustments. Oh yeah, I drove this car for YEARS, looked under the hood hundreds of times and just last year noticed there was no MAF system! It seems alot of other prople learn and are surprised by this once they buy HP Tuners, not just us. That's what I ment about this car being a good beginner tuning car. Less tables so you can grasp the basics quicker, and no MAF sensor that you would have to fail as we are already in speed density mode by nature.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 05-26-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    As for the histograms, they are not available to our specific vehicles. I think it's due to the way our (very old) PCM's work. I haven't gotten into anything that I would want to set up a histogram for yet. I've just been recording scan logs and reviewing that data in order to make adjustments. Oh yeah, I drove this car for YEARS, looked under the hood hundreds of times and just last year noticed there was no MAF system! It seems alot of other prople learn and are surprised by this once they buy HP Tuners, not just us. That's what I ment about this car being a good beginner tuning car. Less tables so you can grasp the basics quicker, and no MAF sensor that you would have to fail as we are already in speed density mode by nature.
    Seriously..... The Histograms work fine, you just have to set them up. And if it took you years to figure out that a Jbody did not have a MAF, maybe you should not be giving out advice..... BTW, there a very few select OS that are based on Speed density with this PCM.... The rest are Alpha N (TPS based).....

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Easy now. I really appreciate all the help I can get! The doc was kind enough to point me in. the right direction.and also the only one to do so. now if you would be do kind as to help me out with the configs. That would be a positive thing. If not, I have found some reading material on the subject.
    I realize that this is not an overly complicated system not its it very popular. With the gearing, track configuration, I need more rpm, that means to get power up there you need a different cam, witch means you need to tune it for that, right? Just looking for guidance end thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by o2l8 View Post
    Easy now. I really appreciate all the help I can get! The doc was kind enough to point me in. the right direction.and also the only one to do so. now if you would be do kind as to help me out with the configs. That would be a positive thing. If not, I have found some reading material on the subject.
    I realize that this is not an overly complicated system not its it very popular. With the gearing, track configuration, I need more rpm, that means to get power up there you need a different cam, witch means you need to tune it for that, right? Just looking for guidance end thanks for your help.
    Send me your email. I will send you a generic Config file for the Jbody platform when I get home tonight. Its setup for an AEM WB.

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Thanks again! My mind is tired,,,, but I am starting to make sense of it all.
    IMPHAT PM sent. thanks, looking forward to reviewing it over coffee in the morning.

"Easy now. I really appreciate all the help I can get! The doc was kind enough to point me in. the right direction.and also the only one to do so."

Wow thanks for sticking up for me man. I actually can't believe how rude some people are in this forum. I've tried as hard as I could to the best of my very limited ability for about 3-5 hours over the course of the past 4 weeks just trying to help you figure out what product you actually needed, getting you firmiliar with how I used it, and even helping you get fluent with it, only to have some Senior tuner basicly tell me to go F-Off as soon as I make 1 mistake! Well rest assured everyone, the people at the Guinness Book of World Records have been notified and my name will be omited from all future editions. In my own defence, I even tried to cover myself by letting you know I'm not yet a professional tuner right up front. When nobody else was helping and the senior tuners were too busy to reply for 4 weeks leaving all the heavy lifting here up to me, a junior tuner with 6 months modern windows based computer experience....exactly what the heck did they think would happen? Eventually I would make a mistake. Considering all this I don't think I did too bad. God forbid we help someone out when they start a post with something like, "I'm new to this". Or, "Could somebody please at least point me in the right direction?". I helped you ONLY because I could pretty much tell: 1.) You weren't using HPT to do some really knuckleheaded stuff. 2.) You, thankfully are someone who understands responses to your questions where others sometimes don't get it and just ask their question again. 3.) Even though I'm new, you stated you needed help ASAP. I sure hope that if I take Greg's class it's not full of disrespectfull people like this as I still have a ton of "beginner" questions and am still humanly prone to making mistakes. Also to clarify, I wasn't researching my car for years or anything. I was actually just driving it around with no concern for how exactly it consumed fuel & air ( As GM intended). I had just never cared therefore never looked. Every other car I had owned had a MAF sensor, and because I never actually paid close attention to my inlet tubing on this one it was simply a surprise once this information actually became relevant for me to even concern myself with. Again to clarify, the actual concept itself was fully grasped by me in about .2 sec. not over the course of several years. I found the suggestion of this a little insulting. And when refering to "our cars" I strictly ment my car and o2l8's which I believe are/were the exact same, and I was under the impression that when in closed loop PE Mode they are running in speed density. Sorry for any confusion.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 05-28-2011 at 04:16 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I can see how that might happen. If you just subscribe to new posts, it may have appeared you were appeared the cart was in front of the horse giving advice without knowing there was no map sensor. As good of a tool these forums are it is really hard to express emotions or the intent of a post. If the three of us were sitting at a table i would bet all of us roils feel different about what was said. That is the first time I even heard of alfa n . Do I still tune it like in speed density mode? I think so. as far as I can tell the histograms will make it easy to spot problems by making calculations and flagging errors on the fly.

I'm pretty sure that's how you tune it. Agian my disclamer of not having yet been there yet, but it would seem our only option. Also in Closed Loop. And worse yet, the only table I've seen allowing to command AFR is in PE Mode. I have no access to Alpha N tables on my car if that's what it's using as a reference for Open Loop fueling. And every single make of scanner I hook up to my car would show that if in Open Loop as rich as it would go would be 11/1 commanded AFR not what I was commanding, even in PE Mode! Meaning agian, I THINK.....any changes made to your (MAP based) VE Table or AFR won't help much unless you're at least in Closed Loop and probably have to be in PE mode also. (Oh yeah, couldn't quite put my finger on it at first but I think you ment to type "- without knowing there was no MAF sensor." For the love of god please let that be what you ment.) lol
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 05-29-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Tuner in Training

Found the weak point

Now our injector duty cycles are maxed out.
    Is there something besides the top feed conversion I can do?
    I don't want it to look like it is altered, although it is legal in our class.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if the duty cycle is maxed out and you need more fuel unfortunately you need bigger injectors.
    80% duty cycle is the normal max to prevent overheating the injectors coils.

if you dont need much more fuel and have a aftermarket fuel regulator you could raise the fuel pressure a little bit as a band-aid fix, but again if your hittin over 80% ur going to want those larger injectors.

there is a injector spreadsheet in excel format that helps with converting for injectors if you do upgrade. im pretty sure imphat helped with it he may know where its at.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman