Thread: Hooking up LM-1 to MPVI?!

Question Hooking up LM-1 to MPVI?!

So I have an LM1 and struggling to get a true readout on my scanner. It seems so easy to hook up, all I have is a white, red and shielded wire coming out of the analog harness. I have tried hooking them up in various configurations using pins #1/ input1 and #5/ ground while logging the LM1 preset in the table display and it will stay at around 12.91AFR.

Why would HPTuners provide a predefined PID that does not work with the stock LM1 output? Do I have to go into the LM programmer and setup my analog outputs to get a proper reading? The directions that come with the LM1 are very vague and I am hoping for a little direction. I must be doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by 01 MidMet WS6; 06-16-2008 at 09:53 PM.
    01 WS6-M6, PRC Stage 2.5 5.3's, MS4, Kooks 1 3/4", custom built full true duals w/ X-pipe, SLP lid, tuned via HPTuners

Yes, set up your LM 1 out puts and then configure HPT to coinside what you programed the LM1 for.

This thread may help.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...hlight=lm1+set

So I attempted to set up my LM1 outputs today, of course the cable coming off of the LM1 is serial and my laptop only has USB ports. I ran to best buy to pick up a usb-serial adapter and when attempting to connect with the LM programmer my computer reads no driver found. I attempted to reload the software and still no connection between the LM1 and my laptop. Anyone have any input on this one? Thanks in advance!
    01 WS6-M6, PRC Stage 2.5 5.3's, MS4, Kooks 1 3/4", custom built full true duals w/ X-pipe, SLP lid, tuned via HPTuners

I bought the serial adapter with the LM1 but it was so long ago I installed it I don't remember if I had any issues with it finding the drivers.

Tuner in Training
    Do you have a desktop PC w/ serial port? That's what I ended up using to setup the LM1.
    2002 Z06 LG Long Tubes, Spec 3+, HPTuners
    1988 TransAm GTA - LS1 conversion, custom CAI, exhaust, LS6 Intake, Fuddle 3400, HPTuners

I was a bit disappointed when I found out my desk top had no serial port either. Innovate should up date the LM1 to USB.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian442
    I was a bit disappointed when I found out my desk top had no serial port either. Innovate should up date the LM1 to USB.
    Who sells a product that is supposed to be used in conjunction with a modern laptop that only comes with a serial cable??? Seriously?

Anyway, I used a computer at work that actually has a serial data port and referenced the writeup on setting voltage offsets found in the stickies to get everything working properly. Voltage offsets were very close just a little tweak and everything was perfect. BTW just a note for anyone else struggling as I did, you do not have to have the LM1 connected to 12V when performing the calibration steps using the LMProgrammer. All you need is the internal 9V, don't worry about hooking anything up other than the serial data port. Thanks for all the help guys, I no longer have to try and watch the readout on the LM1 at WOT!! JK!

Carl T.

Glad you got it working.

I just ordered my LM-1 and I have read everything on how to set it up with the Pro. I know I have to set up the Lm-1 and set the voltage offset. Nothing is ever said about if the red wire goes on analog #1 on the interface connector or does the white wire goes on the ground or #2. Where does the copper wire go?

Copper wire is the ground. I believe it goes to #5 on the pro interface.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian442
    Copper wire is the ground. I believe it goes to #5 on the pro interface.

What about the red and white wire? Do I just program analog #1 and put either the red or white wire there?

Red wire is analog output 1. White wire is analog output 2.

Thanks Brian

Your welcome. Wasn't that long ago I was going through all this

Cable

Just to let you guys know Dynex makes a cable that is usb to serial adapter works well $35. exspensive thou
    Tuner 1 day

I have a serial to USB adapter, Got it from JEGS with the LM1. Listed in their catalog just under the LM1. Apparently they know they should be USB but haven't updated.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 MidMet WS6 View Post
    Who sells a product that is supposed to be used in conjunction with a modern laptop that only comes with a serial cable??? Seriously?

Carl T.
    Just got mine in the mail and after spending $350 realized I'll have to go out and buy some more crap to get it to work with my computer. This is rediculous. Where can I get what ever I need to hook this thing up to my laptop?
    06 Silverado rcsb.
    Forged 346ci, Ported stock heads (290cfm int), Comp 224/230 114 cam w/1.8 rockers, Victor Jr. intake, D1sc, 3-core, 60lb inj, 255 in-tank, Pacesetter long-tubes w/ORY, 4" magnaflow cat back, Alky Control meth kit, FLT Level 4 4l80e, 3000 Vig. converter, Custom tuning done by Allen Nelson. And a ton of $$$.
    RWHP: 542
    RWTQ: 456
    On Nelson's Superflow
    11.455 @ 119.6mph w/1.817 60'

If it's a serial to USB adapter any computer store should have it.

Radio shacks serial to usb will use drivers already built into windows and take any com port you assign. Just FYI that is how I got mine to work