Thread: Locking Torque Converter On Dyno

Tuner in Training

Locking Torque Converter On Dyno

You can lock the converter for dyno pulls with GM's Tech2 and with LS1-Edit. Is there a way to do this with HP Tuners?

Thanks! 8)
    Steve - NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired)&&Life Member: VFW & Vietnam Vets of America&&2000 C5 441 rwhp/418 rwtq 11.478 @ 121.55 60\'=1.696

Advanced Tuner

Re: Locking Torque Converter On Dyno

Yes. Via the v1.5 Scan Tool using the VCM controls.

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by MNR-0
    Yes. Via the v1.5 Scan Tool using the VCM controls.
    Thanks! Would that be the TCC Solenoid On/Off under the Trans tab that I'd use?
    Steve - NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired)&&Life Member: VFW & Vietnam Vets of America&&2000 C5 441 rwhp/418 rwtq 11.478 @ 121.55 60\'=1.696

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper

Thanks! Would that be the TCC Solenoid On/Off under the Trans tab that I'd use?
    Yuppers. You can even change gears using the software to bring it up to ramp speed just for kicks. Look ma! No hands!

Tuner in Training

Yuppers. You can even change gears using the software to bring it up to ramp speed just for kicks. Look ma! No hands!
    Sweet! Thanks for the help!

Senior Tuner

So does that mean we can change gears on demand electronically with the A4? I would love to have paddle shifter sort of thing on my fbody, it can't be that difficult if you can just select gears electronically, right?

Tuner

why would you want to lock the converter? I'm confused. going to the dyno on sat 1/22/05. need all the help i can get.
    02 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L LME 408 w/ET245, Kenne Bell 2.8L, Yank SC3000

Tuner in Training

For my truck, if I load my .BIN file into Editor and look at Engine -> Torque Management -> General, there is a table called "Max Torque vs. RPM", which looks much like a dyno run. The help file says these are "not to exceed" values for engine torque while the TCC is locked. Therefore, if this table is not cleared, and the vehicle is dynoed with the TCC locked, wouldn't the dyno results just be a mirror of this table?
    2003 GMC 1500 rcsb 4WD. LQ4, radix @ 7 psi, FLT Level 5 trans., 3.73 axle, 265 - 75 X 17 tires. Needs more bling.

Advanced Tuner

Im not sure the Help file is entirely corrrect. Why have a TCC limiting feature under Engine Management?

My table was cleared stock and I left it this way. I want no limiting of TQ in any way - I want control over that using my right foot.

That tables pretty much useless anyway, as the TCC clutch will disengage or slip long before you reach those levels of TQ. 500 ft/lbs is a LOT of TQ.

I think more to the point it is meant to be used in Engine TQ calculations but I dont think the VCM code supports that yet.

Perhaps Chris could chime in here as he's the expert.

Senior Tuner

Ok, first the beniefits of locking the converter on the dyno is to rule out any slippage and get accurate numbers. I had my 2001 SS dynoed with a TCI4400, at the time HPTuners did not have this feature and Ken and I had to disconnect it so that the dyno operators could use TECH II to lock the converter.

The results were:
    281rwhp & 286rwtq unlocked
    327 rwhp & 344 rwtq unlocked

Now as far as that table is concern, your dyno graph will not mimic that table. In the lower gears, the converter and the 3.06 ratio exaggerate the engine output torque figure. But with the trans in 1:1, the leverage from the engine is not as strong to over come the clutch.

Advanced Tuner

couldn't you also put in a tune that says at 100% TPS > 40mph in 3rd gear lock the converter?
    Mike Horist
    00 WS6 (TA) | 04 WS6 (GTP Comp G)
    Mike \\#at&\\ horist \\&dot$\\com

BOTH cars HP Tuners Tuned

Senior Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by horist
    couldn't you also put in a tune that says at 100% TPS > 40mph in 3rd gear lock the converter?
    I think it would be easier to lock it using the HPTuners scanner, otherwise you'd have to load your OEM bin back after the dyno pull. Beside, you'll be logging info anyway, and it is a click away.

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS

I think it would be easier to lock it using the HPTuners scanner, otherwise you'd have to load your OEM bin back after the dyno pull. Beside, you'll be logging info anyway, and it is a click away.
    George,

I agree completely.

Tuner in Training

I must be blind. I don't see this TCC On/Off Solenoid. Do I need to re-download my tune after upgrading to 1.6 to have this feature? ???
    2000 TRANS AM WS6 A4
    6.6L w/D-1SC
    618 rwhp, 761 rwtq
    10.42 @ 131.4, 1.46 60'
    Bonneville 100 GT2 Class Winner
    3rd Place Seattle Roadster Show Pro Touring Class

http://community.webshots.com/user/wahusker

Tuner in Training

Never mind, I found it. Gotta be logging data.....under the gauge display, VCM COntrols Trans tab.
    2000 TRANS AM WS6 A4
    6.6L w/D-1SC
    618 rwhp, 761 rwtq
    10.42 @ 131.4, 1.46 60'

Tuner in Training

Well, we tried it. I think it worked. The #s only changed by about 3 (hp or tq). We could force the tranny to shift by selecting the 1-2 or 2-3 solenoids so I assume the TCC On/Off solenoid was working too.

One IMPORTANT note for those wanting to try this. Have someone sitting there with their finger ready to hit the unlock button the instant the driver lets off the gas. Our dyno guy told us the inertia of the roller could tear up the t/c (or other stuff) if it stayed locked.
    2000 TRANS AM WS6 A4
    6.6L w/D-1SC
    618 rwhp, 761 rwtq
    10.42 @ 131.4, 1.46 60'

Advanced Tuner

Yank told me their single clutch stallies are good for 500fwhp locked