Thread: Less drivetrain drag

Advanced Tuner

Less drivetrain drag

While searching for flywheel weights, I came across a thread on another forum which indicated that the owner needed to make some PCM changes as a result of his lightweight flywheel to fix idle problems.

Have any of you experienced such a thing? What would need to be changed?
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Senior Tuner

Re: Less drivetrain drag

Yes, it is very true. I have especially noticed this with lighter weight converters in automatics. The less rotating weight allows the engine to 'spool' up faster, thus causing the PCM not to be able to hold and stabilize the idle as well as previously. The flywheel would be a similar situation as a converter, both can vary at least 10-15 lbs from their OE counter parts they are replacing. If this idle issues are not fixed, you will get a surging idle, or wandering idle. In manuals when applying and releasing the clutch (with excess rpms) you may stall the engine. My wife (who is used to driving manuals all her life) had this problem with our stalled 2001 SS ... when she would back it into our garage, the SS would stall. You would need to lightly feather the pedal and not cause a sudden change in rpms to keep it stable. I raise the idle rpms by about 50-100 and we no longer have this problem.

Advanced Tuner

Release 1.6 has a nifty feature letting you define the stall RPM. It is an idle saver that kicks in when RPM reaches a certain point. For my stock cal. I set mine at 650RPM up till 700RPM in PARK and 550RPM in GEAR.

Advanced Tuner

can you elaborate on the location of this setting?
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Advanced Tuner

I guess it's not offered for the 98's. The Stall Saver text is there, but not any fields.
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list