Thread: KB boost a pump

KB boost a pump

I have a question about tuning for the use of a boost a pump. My BAP is hooked to a hobbs switch to come on during boost only. If anyone has ever used a BAP they know it has a dial to adjust the amount to increase fuel pump voltage which in turn increases fuel pressure which raises my question. If during WOT/boost your fuel pressure "artificially" increases, how do you tune for this. Is it best to set the BAP as low as needed and dial in the maf to take into account the extra fuel added by the increase in pressure. If done that way I'm then if the BAP settings were to change, then wouldn't the MAF in turn be off also. However, say you were to turn the BAP off, then dial in the MAF... you'd have to command a different AFR to actually achieve what you need if you turned the BAP on.
    Seems like a less than ideal situation either way, but the former seems more correct than the latter. Just wondering how everyone else does it.

Just max out the BAP and tune as if the BAP were not there. All the BAP is doing is ensuring that the fuel pump can keep up with the injectors. The internal (to the tank) regulator will keep the fuel pressure constant. Just because you're overdriving the pump doesn't mean you're pushing more fuel pressure.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game