Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New A6 Transmission parameters walkthrough

at this stage the answer is "i don't know"
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner

I Have No Clue!!

I really want to purchase this tune software for my 2008 Sierra Denali AWD, but I have no clue what you guys are talking about or what to change. All I know is I want to get my PCM and TCM 6 speed tranny tuned but no local shop. I will have to learn myself. If I purchase the HP Tuner software where do I get tune files? If I can't get tune files where do I learn what to change?

Please help!!

PS is the software MAC compatible?

You get the tune files off your stock vehicle.

On the trans, make changes one table at a time to evaluate what it does and how much. Make 10-20% type changes. If "nothing" happens, revert, and change by 50%. If nothing, that table may not be in use in the particular mode you were driving it in (eg. Tow Haul = Performance on the earlier stuff, TUTD - paddle shift mode) or you've gone too far and the TCM is limiting things.

Start out in the "Shift Speed vs." tables as they will be the most obvious. The shift speed is in MPH so a 10% change may be huge at 100% throttle but virtually nothing at 10% throttle.

Go easy and document your changes in the change log.
    Always Support Our Troops!

the one problem im having with my G8 is WOT shifts. on my 03 GMC Sierra, i would just change the WOT RPM shift parameters under the trans. it would shift where i told it to every time at WOT.

now with my G8 it seems to be reacting different. i have my 1-2 and 2-3 shift at 6k in normal mode, then my 1-2 and 2-3 shift set at 6200k in sport mode (suppose to be pattern A). when in normal mode it does shift at 6k where i have it set, but in sport mode, it only shifts at 6200 sometimes.......sometimes it shifts at only 6k.

why is it not shifting where i have it set in sport mode? am i missing something? this is the simple part lol

heres a screen shot
    Last edited by boomer; 09-15-2008 at 03:02 PM.
    Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb
    1/4 mile: 13.33 @ 105 mph

Log where the shift is commanded and check the MPH based on the WOT shift MPH points. They may need to be pretty close together to work properly.

Like Chris said, this trans is complecated as hell. (Actually hell is *much* less complicated. )

Advanced Tuner
    I'm starting to think that there's either a bug in HP Tuners or GM isn't telling us something about how the car is *supposed* to shift (at least that's the case in my 2007 Corvette).

The reason for this is that I normally run 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson drag radials at the track and more often than not will have issues with the car shifting way beyond the mph and rpm values I have set up in the tune. By having the values set much lower than I would expect, I've been able to get it to shift reasonably well.

When I went to a Test & Tune on September 5 I discovered something very odd. Instead of my Mickey Thompsons I was running 295/35/18 BFG drag radials and noticed that was my 2-3 shift was happening too low!

I was somewhat confused by this and despite having the correct tire size entered, it simply wouldn't shift where it was supposed to. I even tried raising both the mph and rpm values higher than where the 2-3 shift was actually happening and despite that, it still shifted too soon and more importantly, before both the mph and rpm thresholds had been surpassed.

I went through every single place in my tune and checked every possible value but despite that, the car still somehow shifted before it was technically allowed to.

Any comments or thoughts on that Chris?

Thanks much,
    Christopher

If the tire "grows" the PCM needs to know about it. That may be the issue you are having.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    If the tire "grows" the PCM needs to know about it. That may be the issue you are having.
    Do you mean "grow" like a racing slick does? I don't think drag radials grow all that much but regardless of that, how do I let the PCM know about it?

I think you are probably right the DR's don't really "grow" the same as a set of slicks would. For some reason I was associating the problem with slicks. Not enough sleep here... LOL

Will the TCM T/M be more adjustable in future releases? instead of enabled/disabled?
    Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb
    1/4 mile: 13.33 @ 105 mph

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Will the TCM T/M be more adjustable in future releases? instead of enabled/disabled?
    That'd be really nice as I know Vector Motorsports is able to do it with their tuning hardware/software.

Yes, but from what I understand Vector uses a custom OS to do that.

Really, there should be some way of doing adjusting it, on some PCMs (04 GTP), there was a spark table that TQM used to pull timing, you could half that table and it would pull half as much timing.

I for one would like to keep TQM enabled most of the time, saving wear and tear on parts, but when I go WOT, then I'd like it not to granny shift and pull 20* timing.

Anyone adjusted the shift time params (as they seem to be the "target") smaller does it still pull timing? Boomer, didn't you get 1-2 Chirp going? How so?
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now
    Previous Rides: 2008 G8 GT, 2004 GTO, 2004 GTP, 2002 TA

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    Yes, but from what I understand Vector uses a custom OS to do that.

Really, there should be some way of doing adjusting it, on some PCMs (04 GTP), there was a spark table that TQM used to pull timing, you could half that table and it would pull half as much timing.

I for one would like to keep TQM enabled most of the time, saving wear and tear on parts, but when I go WOT, then I'd like it not to granny shift and pull 20* timing.

Anyone adjusted the shift time params (as they seem to be the "target") smaller does it still pull timing? Boomer, didn't you get 1-2 Chirp going? How so?
    Even if it is a custom OS, the point is that it can be done.

why is it not shifting where i have it set in sport mode? am i missing something? this is the simple part lol
    Did you get this figured out? Mine's doing the same, specifically its setting the shift in sport mode, based on the MPH listed under Normal (30) (not Pattern A 36)....if you look at the scan it looks like it tries to complete the shift just under the RPM listed.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    Did you get this figured out? Mine's doing the same, specifically its setting the shift in sport mode, based on the MPH listed under Normal (30) (not Pattern A 36)....if you look at the scan it looks like it tries to complete the shift just under the RPM listed.
    Can someone from HPT PLEASE chime in on this?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
    Can someone from HPT PLEASE chime in on this?
    Without a scanner log and cooresponding .hpt file theres no way to tell.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Without a scanner log and cooresponding .hpt file theres no way to tell.
    Here you go:

The attached tune has my shift RPM set to 6700 for both the 2-3 and 3-4 shift yet as you can see from the log the 2-3 shift happens at 6547 and the 3-4 at 6529.

I tried changing the MPH value but that didn't help much because even if I change just the 3-4 or 2-3 MPH, it ends up affecting the other shifts as well.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Here you go:

The attached tune has my shift RPM set to 6700 for both the 2-3 and 3-4 shift yet as you can see from the log the 2-3 shift happens at 6547 and the 3-4 at 6529.

I tried changing the MPH value but that didn't help much because even if I change just the 3-4 or 2-3 MPH, it ends up affecting the other shifts as well.
    Try logging as many available TCM pid's as possible and post it up, if its anything like LS1's it might be because your gear/tire calculations are slightly off which can cause shifting issues, its probably the same issue here. Logging one TCM pid for a TCM issue doesn't give a whole lot of insite unfortunatly.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Try logging as many available TCM pid's as possible and post it up, if its anything like LS1's it might be because your gear/tire calculations are slightly off which can cause shifting issues, its probably the same issue here. Logging one TCM pid for a TCM issue doesn't give a whole lot of insite unfortunatly.
    I'm running drag radials and 3:42 gears so I just entered the values for each and let the program make the new calculations. Does that mean the program isn't doing the math correctly? What specifically was wrong with the values that were in there and how do I figure out what they should be?

I'm going to the track again on Wednesday so what PIDs should I log?

Christopher

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I'm running drag radials and 3:42 gears so I just entered the values for each and let the program make the new calculations. Does that mean the program isn't doing the math correctly? What specifically was wrong with the values that were in there and how do I figure out what they should be?

I'm going to the track again on Wednesday so what PIDs should I log?

Christopher
    Automating a process will get you close, that doesn't mean it will be perfect, its the same with every vehicle, the automation process simply scales it by the correct value, if the starting values weren't spot on, which believe it or not GM doesn't always calibrate for gears & tires the proper way, then your shifting might not be spot on.

I don't know what, if anything, is wrong with the values. However, without you logging as many TCM pid's as possible along with RPM, mph & such to help myself & our engineers figure out what it is its impossible to tell what is wrong, if anything, & how to fix it, if theres anything we can find.

-Bill