Thread: Cam help

Advanced Tuner

Cam help

Im getting a bin ready for my 232/234 duration, 112 lsa, .595/.598 lift cam install. I have done a bunch of searches to find contradicting statements.

1- I know i what to bump up my idle speed table to 925 rpm.

2- Do i want to add 2 g/sec to my entire idle/start up air flow or my base running air flow table?
    I am under the understanding that i would need to add 2 g/sec to my entire base running air flow table and add to the start up airflow only if im having a hard time starting up.

3- Do i want to add 5 degrees of timing to the entire idle timing table only? or do i want to add 5 degrees of timing to my entire idle timing table and my high/low octane tables at idle/cruise cells.

I am familar with the rest of the process (ve,maf,etc). Im just confused on the idle.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Senior Tuner
    With almost a 600 cam lift you might find yourself in the 950-975 range for idle, even 1000 rpm, every cam is different, but I think you'll be a bit low at 925. Below 950 with that duration you'll be getting quite a bit of valve overlap and tuning idle will be a PITA.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    Ive got that same cam in my 06 GTO. After a cuople weeks of tinkering ive got it pretty much dialed in as far as starting/idling and drivability. I have zero hot start problems and no stalling issues after i got the final idle airflow min table dialed in. Idle rpm is set at 800. Alot of people say timing is the key to get big cams to idle but I found the idle airflow min table was the key. Getting it right solved all my idle/off idle stalling problems. Im at work right now so I cant upload my tune but when I get home Ill post it and let you take a look. It should give you a very good starting point.

Tuner
    I'd like to take a look at it too. I have a slightly bigger cam and it idles at 950. The only thing is it bucks some when in gear...a4. I think if I can get it to calm down some and lower the idle even more I would be very happy!

Here's the stock tune and cammed tune for reference also.

Tuner in Training
    Heres my tune guys. My trims arent exactly where id like them right now. Around -5 or so in the cruising range so im gonna work on that a little more tomorrow. Overall tho I have zero issues. I had made some changes to the idle underspeed/overspeed tables early on and I think Im going to change them back to stock so I would leave them the way they are in your stock tune.

Tuner in Training
    Red, mine would buck pretty good when it went into lockup at low speed/rpm. I had got the final idle airflow min pretty good in the idle, 800-1000 range but hadnt touched the higher rpm ranges. I moved the spark around in those ranges with no changes. Once I went thru the idle airflow histogram procedure in 5 liter eater's idle thread I realized that the airflow in those ranges was WAY to low. After adding to those The car will go into lockup at 44 mph and 1200 rpm with little to no surging. What I would consider very acceptable for a cam of this size at those low rpms