Thread: What's the Idea behind Setting PE Delay RPM to Zero

Advanced Tuner

What's the Idea behind Setting PE Delay RPM to Zero

I've been playing with my VE table for around a month now, getting familiar with the hand smoothing process and what not, and i was told in another thread to make the following adjustments to the HPT fie: (Currently tunning in OLSD)

Set PE Delay RPM to 0,
    Set PE enable RPM to 0
    Set PE Enrichment Rate to 2

what's the idea behind this values, and would i screw my current VE doing so?

I've also read about halving the Burst Knock Retard table (Base vs Cyclair Delta), should i halve all the values, or just the V8 mode one ?

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    If you remove the delay, and zero the enable then when ever you reach you set throttle position you will go into PE. If you were setting at a light and stuck it, PE would not enable till you hit x throttle position, and x rpm. Now with the delay and enable zeroed it will move to PE as soon as you reach the set throttle position. The enrichment rate is how fast the ECM will go to that rate. High number fast, lower number slow. Like turning on a water faucet you can do it slow or fast either way it will open up. No none of those changes should have any effect on your VE table. I am not sure on the burst knock.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks a lot Popeye, i did set up both PE delay stuff to zero and enrichment rate to 2, i haven't touched the burst knock yet cause i'm affraid to screww something up.

Advanced Tuner
    I am not much more then guessing but I think halving the burst knock table allows half as much timing retard during Burst Knock. Hopefully someone with a bit know how will jump in on this one!

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks again Popeye.

How is it going bluegoat - did my suggestions help?
    Burst knock retard just retards the ignition by the values in the table if you stamp on the gas to reduce the chances of actual knock happening.
    I would zero the table out - it doesn't have too much affect on actual knock.
    07 Chev Lumina SS 6.0 L98
    i.e. Holden Commodore VE SS
    i.e. Pontiac G8 GT minus DOD

Advanced Tuner
    Tiffer, yes, your suggestions were pretty good, Thanks a lot.

Potential Tuner
    So is it pretty standard from a performance perspective to set the PE Enable Delay RPM to 0? Are there any other guidelines? Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its pretty standard to set it to 0 so that it cancels out any hidden time delays that might be active. Since there can be nearly a dozen different tables that determine if you are even going to go into PE mode at a given time altering one of those variables just makes it easier to see your final outcome rather than trying to do an A+B+C+D+E+F=Z calculation for everything you do.

KISS
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks this really cleared things up for me
    2007 C6 coupe LS3 416 6 speed mn Z51 3LT
    Vararam Snake charmer 160 Stat
    Kooks 1 7/8 headers with jet hot
    Fast 102 ported intake 102 TB RPM Level 5 T56
    MGW short throw ZIP 4.10 Severe Duty rear
    RPS TWIN DISC CARBON CLUTCH CCWs ele wp
    RPM LEVEL 5 TRANS W/HARDENED OUTSHAFT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtOPy_lp2QY

10.66 1.47 60ft 133+mph

So what you're saying is that if you set you PE Enable 'Delay RPM' to 0, there will be no delay?
    Also, I'm a bit confused on the Pwer Enrich Enable TPS vs. RPM numbers. This too would be changed to 0?
    So then at any throttle position, you would go into immediat PE?
    I'm also taking that the higher numbers in the Power Enrich Enable TPS vs. RPM would designate the percentage of throttle in which PE is enabled, correct?

Some good info here but just trying to completely understand this so I don't set the wrong values into the tables and get PE at all throttle positions.
    Thanks.

I would like someone to verify what you said (above)
    2007 C6 coupe LS3 416 6 speed mn Z51 3LT
    Vararam Snake charmer 160 Stat
    Kooks 1 7/8 headers with jet hot
    Fast 102 ported intake 102 TB RPM Level 5 T56
    MGW short throw ZIP 4.10 Severe Duty rear
    RPS TWIN DISC CARBON CLUTCH CCWs ele wp
    RPM LEVEL 5 TRANS W/HARDENED OUTSHAFT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtOPy_lp2QY

10.66 1.47 60ft 133+mph

Braciole, I doubt that you'd set the PE to 0.
    It really makes no sense and if that were the case, you'd be in PE mode at all times which would mean you'd never use your closed loop tables whatsoever.
    I'll continue to keep mine set the way they are as common sense tells me that this is not the way to set your PE tables.
    Unless someone can come in here with some concrete evidence to support this, it stays.

misnblu. the settings you are talking about is throttle percentage at xxxx RPM in which PE can be entered only after ALL requirements are met IE: map kPA is met and delay RPM.

generally you want ALL these values to be very close to your WOT TPS %. 94% TPS is what my truck is at stock across the board. lowering these settings to say 50% would mean in that cell only 50% throttle position is needed to enable PE with all other requirements met.

Got it.
    That gives me a better understanding and reinforces that which I already know or have found out.
    Thanks shardbody.

no problem man.

Senior Tuner
    I'd like to clarify something about the PE Delay RPM scalar. Setting it to 0 on the V8 cars does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! You're just wasting your time modifying parameters needlessly. Let me explain (and it's been explained on these forums numerous times - the search function is your friend, trust me). There is actually a PE Delay Timer scalar that HPT does not have in their templates for their software. It is set to 0 on ALL the V8 cars. This OVERRIDES the PE Delay RPM scalar on ALL GM vehicles. If HPT would be so nice to add this in, there wouldn't be the problem of having to set all the PE enable/disable values to 0 on the 2006 and 2007 classic trucks just to get into PE mode. Instead, it would be a simple 1 scalar change to 0 (PE Delay Timer). Bill, I'll borrow your KISS link and use it against HPT this once.

Again, quit wasting your time changing it if you have a V8 car, just like the time one is wasting when they disable Skip Shift by adjusting 2 or 3 parameters, when all that is needed is to set the "Disable TPS" to 0%, or like when they disable COT by anything other than setting it to "Disabled".
    Last edited by RWTD; 05-13-2009 at 02:26 AM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)