Thread: NGK WB - O2 placement

NGK WB - O2 placement

before I get bashed - there is no way I can put another bung pre cat in the car.

The car is an 04 GTO with JBA shorties on it. Have a JBA mid pipe with high flow cats ready to go in again (long story - but painful). Anyone who has worked on these cars will tell you there is no room to work in the pre cat area with a shortie or stock exhaust manifold, a sadist must have put all of the braces in the way. Believe me I have the scars to prove it from the first go around.

Now since I am keeping the shorties & cats in, does it even make sense to weld a bung post cat or will the readings be so far off as to be a useless exercise of even mmounting the WB?

If I can go post cat - rough idea as to % I will be off? I have done a few searches and still can't figure out how far out the post WB AFR will be.

I know - not optimum - but just trying to make the best of the hand I am dealt.

Steve
    2004 GTO A4

Add in a 2008 G8 GT and a 2009 G8 GT

I install the WB in place of the stock front O2 sensor when tuning.

Russ Kemp

Russ - do you then just put the car in Open loop mode until you pull it out?

I maybe be able to get my hands on the passenger side pre cat o2 from the engine bay (Not real sure - no way to get to it from below without pulling the mid pipe out) to put it in.

Thanks

Steve
    2004 GTO A4

The car will be in open loop with the stock front O2 sensor removed.

Russ Kemp

Senior Tuner
    For GTOs, you can access the driver's pre-cat side O2 sensor from underneath the car, you can access the passenger's side pre-cat O2 sensor from the engine bay. You never want to leave the vehicle in closed loop when tuning with a wideband, as it will skew the tuning results.

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    For GTOs, you can access the driver's pre-cat side O2 sensor from underneath the car, you can access the passenger's side pre-cat O2 sensor from the engine bay. You never want to leave the vehicle in closed loop when tuning with a wideband, as it will skew the tuning results.
    Thanks on the Closed Loop info.

The passenger side O2 - I agree - just a little contortionist required (probably just need the proper tools such as a nice long angled box wrench). The drivers side - maybe if you have a lot smaller hands then mine - man that place is tight.

I will give the passenger side a try next weekend.

Steve
    2004 GTO A4