Thread: AEM UEGO Connection to VCM Pro, Questions

Advanced Tuner

AEM UEGO Connection to VCM Pro, Questions

Hi everybody, i have a couple of newbie questions.

I'm trying to set my AEM wideband to be as portable as possible.
    I was reading through the AEM manual that the UEGO comes with 4 cables, red for power, black for ground, white for analog output and blue for a serial connection.

I connected the power and ground cables to a cigarrete lighter adapter, and i'm now getting power through the gauge. first question is, when i plugged the gauge to the cig lighter this afternoon, i was getting 14.7 readings, i don't expect this value to change since my wideband is not connected. but tonight when i was trying to hook the analog output to the VCM EIO i was getting 14.8 readings on the gauage. is this normal? or should it always see14.7 when the gauge is connected to power with no wideband hooked up ?

2nd question, i connected the white cable (analog output) from the AEM gauge to the VCM EIO, ran the VCM scanner expecting to see the the reading from the gauge in the Vcm scanner, but nothing happened. i'm seen the parameter, but i don't see any value for it.

now, is this the expected behavior since i don't have the wideband connected to AEM gauge, or should i see the 14.8 value displayed in the gauge as a reading in the Vcm scanner ?

Thanks
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 04-17-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Question 1, with no o2 sensor you could read just about anything on the gauge, it should default to somewhere around 14.7.

Question 2, have you checked the voltage on the analog output? And did you put a ground to your EIO?
    '07 Trailblazer SS MagnaCharged

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks PS,
    i think i'm just going to check the ground from the adapter to the gauge. i just bought the cig adapter today from Radio Shack, and is one of those things that you just slide the cable and crimp it inside.

also, i found out i didn't have the EIO input set in the Vcm scanner: displays, table (primary), EIO Input 1, insert AUX, AEM AFR. i'm getting the gauge reading in the vcm scanner now, and no, i didn't use ground in the EIO, just connected the white cable from the AEM gauge. the readings are a little off though, the gauge displays 14.8, and the WB in the scanner display a range from 14.89 through 14.97
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 04-17-2008 at 09:31 PM.

You'll have to set up a user derined EIO PID for the UEGO to account fot the voltage offset so HPT matches the UEGO gauge. Play with the +10 until they match.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks 5 Liter, i'll try that tomorrow.

I was also playing around with the wires today trying to find a good ground, but i don't want to have wires hanging all over the place. i jut bought another cig lighter adapter and hooked all the wires, i used electrical tape and wrapped everything together.

cig adpater power with UEGO power
    cig adapter ground with UEGO ground
    and another wire where i made the ground connection between the UEGO and the cig adapter that goes to the EIO ground.

I'm still reading 14.8 in the gauge. is this a big deal ?

Advanced Tuner
    Crap, i'll just dump the cig adapter idea and tap straight into the battery with an inline fuse and ground the other wire to the chassis, then i'll find a way to bring the wires inside the car and connect them to the AEM UEGO.

Advanced Tuner
    I did more research and found where to tap to get easy power/ground.
    i'm posting a pic for other newbies like me to see and have a better idea. our GTO's have 2 spare slots in the fusebox and ground right under the column as well.

Last edited by bluegoat06; 04-19-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    You'll have to set up a user derined EIO PID for the UEGO to account fot the voltage offset so HPT matches the UEGO gauge. Play with the +10 until they match.
    5Liter, per this graph the formula to use should be 0.5 + 10, but then i was reading the thread that tell us how to configure the wideband/ hptuners offset, and found the formula to use should be 0.625+10, which one should i use ? the one you provided is especific for AEM controllers (.5 +10) ?

Thanks

See post #5. It will allow you to understand the math behind the equation. The AEM is 10-20 AFR over 0-5V so the .5+10 is correct.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9448
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Great, Thanks one more time :thumbs:

Which AEM model number are we talking about? Is it model number: 30-4100?
    2006 Pontiac GTO
    2003 Infiniti M45--- Payed off
    2009 BMW 135i- Awaiting Transport

Mods: TigerShark Cam Package, Volant intake, GFI Ported TB, GMM Race, MSD Plug Wires, Stainless Work headers w/cats, Magnaflow X-pipe, Kooks "Afterburner" Axlebacks, Pedders Strut Bar, Pedders Street I, Drift R 19", HpTuners
    RWHP: 419.72 RWTQ: 402.51

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, AEM UEGO 30-4100

I have a question about this. I have kinda the same question.
    white wire from wideband to pin 1 on hp
    black wire from wideband to pin 5 on hp
    black wire from wideband to pin 5 and also to car ground
    red wire from wideband to fused 12 volt from car

No do i need the blue wire or is that just for sand alone data logging when not using hp tuners.

Also what is the calibration screw on the back of the wideband gauge?

Is there a way to not even use the gauge at all?

Same problem for me, i am not able to understand what i read on this forum ( not only because my native language is not English ), so...

I explain my situation, i have since 2 years an AEM wideband sensor ( model 30-4100 with Bosch sensor LSU 4.2 exactly ), the last month i decided to move to the MPVI Pro interface HPT ( because before i was using the Standard version ), so today ( with my new MPVI Pro Interface ) i connected my WB sensor bosch to the manifold exhaust, i connected all the wires for everything to work, i mean that i take the power 12 V from the AEM gauge plugged to a 12 V source from the fuses box in the engine compartment and of course the black wire ground too... ( I specify that this is a provisional cast just to tune-up my car ).

So my AEM WB was operational with AFR gauge reading...

With regard to my laptop with HPT VCM Scanner, it was open, on the MPVI Pro Interface ( i mean the EIO plug with 8 connections ), a black ground wire was connected from the EIO plug ( the fifth position from the top ) to the ground of the car and a white wire from the EIO plug ( the first position from the top ) to the white wire on the AEM gauge...

before i connect the white wire between the AEM gauge and the EIO plug on the MPVI Pro interface, i was able to see 12.50 AFR ( maybe because there was another setup i missed... ), and when i connected this white wire therefore, the AFR reading was completely disordered, i mean the AFR on the VCM Scanner displayed up and down continuously and rapidly between 12.0 and 16.0 and my AEM gauge display was steady at 13.5

My question for that is, do you think that it's because i forgot to plug a black groun wire between the black ground wire from the AEM gauge and the fifth position of the EIO plug ?

Another point, i don't understand AT ALL when some people on HPT forum says "PID" with EGR or AC switch, it is because they operate their AFR sensor by those source of 12 V ? Frankly i don't know...

For me, i think that the next time, i will plug a black ground wire between the EIO plug and the AEM gauge and just ( in VCM Scanner in Table Primary ) enable in EIO input number 1 "AEM AFR"

Do you think that i will be good like that or not ?

Thanks... Jean-François.
    Last edited by Hendrix68; 09-15-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Just to add to the thread, I had a perfect AEM to HP match at .5 and 9.8 for the offset .

That screen shot should be stickied .

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info guys.