Thread: Help with E85 tune....

Tuner

Help with E85 tune....

Well I am testing the waters for e85.

First off, I still running stock injectors (33lbs/hr) LS2 GTO
    Don't anyone worry any and all WOT kept short which inj load max out about 102% right at 6200rpm. On gas they max out at 74%

I am currently running without the maf but in closed loop. soon be switching to 2.5 bar OS.

Just trying to get feel for it. goes easy on me I will be upgrading injectors to ford green top 42's shortly

Right now, just want to know if I am head in the right direction here???

I what did just change is the stoich AFR(fuel tab) to 9.8 which seem to bring back my LTFT's back to about -4 to -7. I sure this is still winter E85.

Also I went through the spark map added spark everywhere. Which really woke it up a lot. Plus I am sure once I get the bigger injectors I will pick a tad more. I running about 41-46* at cruise and 31-36* WOT. still no knock showing up.

I have posted my E85 tune looking for advice here, what I am doing wrong or not. Or should I have left stoich valve at 14.68 and retune the VE table and PE tables. Any mileage tricks, getting about 5-4 mpg less then my gas tune.

Also if anybody needs good stall converter part throttle shifting, copy and paste and tell me how you like it. Finally got something that does not annoy the hell out me. thanks
    Last edited by WorkingManPerf.; 04-11-2008 at 03:10 AM.
    2009 G8 GT ... stock... DD

2005 GTO A4 (heads and cam ) currently broken.... last time 12.4 @ 109 (just a TC)

Sold: 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 8100 vortec RCLB [email protected]

I think you are going about it the right way. I also think there was at least one E40 vehicle (Monte Carlo or Impala maybe???) that was E85 compatible. I don't know if they used an Ethanol sensor or not though. If they did or they do like the 07 NBS trucks and use a "Virtual" sensor - eg they exercise the fuel trims to find the ethanol content.
    If so, then you can grab the ethanol tables (stoch etc) from either an E85 truck or the E85 car as a ballpark figure and tune from there.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    I will look into that, would be awesome to find that vitrual sensor.

quick question how would I know if they use the virtual sensor by looking at the tune??
    Last edited by WorkingManPerf.; 04-11-2008 at 03:22 PM.

2005 GTO A4 (heads and cam ) currently broken.... last time 12.4 @ 109 (just a TC)

Heheh you won't find the "virtual" sensor.
    I would PM Bill at HPT. I think he might have a breakdown of the E40's and what they are used in and whether or not the E85 was available. I have one for 05 and earlier vehicles but finding it will be a chore. (Messy hard drive )
    Ok found it: 05 Grand Prix GXP

On the GTO though, there is no Flex Fuel option on the general tab... Oh well...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Ok found it: 05 Grand Prix GXP

On the GTO though, there is no Flex Fuel option on the general tab... Oh well...

Umm I found a "flex fuel enable" under-engine-fuel control-general

then you have scroll down, I want the flex fuel master enable right?

I have a 05 Monte Carlo 5.3 bin file. only thing that I see that is different is flex fuel enable and alcohol tables, well course then there whole 5.3 to 6.0 thing but.

oh bill does not take PMs anymore???
    Last edited by WorkingManPerf.; 04-12-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Dang... Looked on the wrong tab. LOL
    Give it a try. I don't know if it works with a master enable/disable or whether or not there are other items in the code that need to be enabled as well. Bill might know or could find out. Email him your file.

Potential Tuner
    Hey Working, keep us updated, I have an LS2 GTO and have been researching the idea of using E85, and distilling my own fuel as well. I have pretty much decided on going the HPT route. Are you stock? Goodluck.

Scott

Tuner
    yep i am now, soon not so much...LOL

Potential Tuner
    Cool, well if you get a good working tune on the stock vehicle, save it so us dummy's have something to go off of!

Scott